www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old March 4th, 2018, 12:04   #1
Cdownard

Default 2004 jetta BEW tdi stalling/no start

Hi everyone sorry if this is not where to post this I am New, I have a 2004 jetta BEW tdi, last week I was driving on the highway at about 70km/h and I lost power I pulled over and the car stalled it would crank but not start, I towed it home got to look at it found the egr full of carbon, I cleaned it up and pulled the intake elbow tube off, now it starts but stalls if I put the intake tube back on, I have very little exhaust coming out so I drilled a hole pre cat to check if the cat was plugged, still same issue, very little exhaust coming out of the hole I drilled as well, I'm pretty sure I have an air restriction somewhere or something like that I was just wondering if anyone had any insite on where i should be looking for it , with the elbow off it idles fine but as soon as i put it close it stalls out any info would be appreciated
Cdownard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2018, 12:35   #2
Alchemist
Veteran Member

TDI(s): '04 Golf

I have seen a similar situation before, and it turned out to be the turbocharger had failed blocking the air and exhaust paths.
Old March 4th, 2018, 12:40   #3
Cdownard

Is there a way to diagnose the turbo
Cdownard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2018, 15:10   #4
maxmoo
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdownard View Post
Is there a way to diagnose the turbo
Get underneath and remove the intake air hose from the turbo so you can check the impeller for damage or seizure.

Last edited by maxmoo; March 4th, 2018 at 15:14.
maxmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2018, 19:41   #5
Wilkins
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 4.6/5.6 - 5.3/6.7

Pull hose off intercooler. Is it full of oil? Common symptom of turbo failure.
2005 Jetta Wagon: Evo skid plate, Kerma Tune, Moog VR6 front springs, Koni Reds, Jeff's HID's, Upgraded door switches!. MKVI: Containflo+Pureflo, Rear Tiggy springs and B6 Billies, Xenon w LED, AFS, 087T BCM
Wilkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2018, 21:22   #6
whitedog
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilkins View Post
Pull hose off intercooler. Is it full of oil? Common symptom of turbo failure.
We ran into this here a few weeks back and I suggested the same thing, but if it's full of oil, you still need to pull the intake off the turbo to verify that it has failed. But if the turbo is failed, you need to pull the hose off of the intercooler to drain the oil.

I guess one problem with starting with the intercooler hose is what if it's NOT full of oil, but the turbo has still failed, but you didn't check the turbo?

But will a failing turbo ALWAYS fill the intercooler with oil? Maybe it will and maybe I'm just overthinking this. And what if the turbo HASN'T failed and you go through all of the work to get the ar up, crawl under, figure out which tools you need, crawl back out, get the wrong tools...

Ah Heck. Just pull the danged intercooler hose and stop overthinking the silly thing!