www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old September 30th, 2016, 15:22   #61
PaCrazyLady

TDI(s): 1999.5 Jetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectreign View Post
I did mine in about four. The blend door cover literally pops off with tabs. You just need to have a firm grip and pull, realizing there's about eight tabs holding the door in
Thank you!! I'll post pics once I get in there.
PaCrazyLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2016, 15:56   #62
PaCrazyLady

TDI(s): 1999.5 Jetta

The blend door is fixed but I still don't have heat. The project took 4.5 hours from start to finish and included an XL hot green tea. That project saved me some serious coins!!
Car is slated to go in shop on the 13th! It's either the t-stat or water pump and since i don't have the service history, I'm inclined to have both replaced, plus timing belt.
Not sure how to upload pics.
PaCrazyLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2016, 19:53   #63
MVP
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: consistently ~ 42 MPG @ 80 MPH full AC, stop and go commute

Did the shortcut way today, it took about 3.25 hours so far (dash is still open). Probably will clock about about 4 hours total when put back together but I convinced myself to order a new Sony HU and toss the old Alpine since it doesn't support playing music files via USB.

One piece of advice I can give y'all is that if you have an aftermarket stereo/head unit installed, check to make sure the installer didn't zip tie any cords to the assembly/cover. Mine did and I must have fought it for 25 minutes before I pulled out the flashlight and eyeglasses to find it was zip tied majorly to some wrapped electrical runs.
MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2017, 20:18   #64
mathanz

Fuel Economy: 35-45 MPG

Did this the shortcut Way a few months ago. Just wanted to post my experience of cutting my thumbs and fingers all to hell from pressing blindly on aluminum tape while contorting my body to reach it. Hope the blood doesn't prevent good adhesion. Definitely made a difference though. Also did the plastic piece that sticks in the bottom of the box and turns the door from cold to hot. $15 from VW. The previous owner was told this would be a $1500 fix, so his mechanic did a "shortcut" and crimped the cable to prevent him switching from cold to hot. Hope he didn't pay him for this "fix."

Need to do my wife's car next by the way...not really looking forward to it...
mathanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2017, 20:23   #65
AdinaFloyd

Fuel Economy: Approximately 42mpg

Did this today, thanks for all the info, tips and tricks. I can now drive to work without wearing my mittens....yay!
AdinaFloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2017, 14:24   #66
ItAintRodKnock
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 01GolfTDi
Fuel Economy: 40 with lift

Just finished this up. Wow! HOT heat!
Cant wait to test it out in some much cooler weather. Definitely blowing hot now though.

Edit: in the teens and she blows hot!
Have to warm up the cab at fan speed 3 and then just put it on fan speed 1 to maintain. So awesomed
From FLA to CO!! 2001 Golf 4 door White: R520, Malone 2, McNally gauge, SB stg2E clutch, Panzer FMJ, FrostHeater, 2white2blue Moog 81055, Bilstein TC-s, homemade "$40 2 inch lift" Long time poster, now just a lurker.

Last edited by ItAintRodKnock; December 7th, 2017 at 21:47.
ItAintRodKnock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2017, 19:04   #67
VincenzaV
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Better than a tank, worse than a cyclist.

I have tons of black foam pieces shooting at me through the A/C and heater vents. My AC still works great (I'm in FL, don't need heat yet), is this project in my future too? There is a decent video here of the "shortcut" here, glad for that. But is it worth doing it vs taking the whole AC box out and doing it on a bench?
VincenzaV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2017, 20:53   #68
wonneber
Veteran Member

Where's the "shortcut" ??
wonneber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2017, 20:55   #69
VincenzaV
Veteran Member

I think post #52? Instead of the 10 hour or so "tear the entire dash out" process?
Old December 28th, 2017, 10:53   #70
Genesis
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 53/48/42

Yeah, you're in for this job and it's a royal PITA.
Genesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2018, 19:30   #71
VincenzaV
Veteran Member

What seems to be the consensus of what lasts longer (or is better performing), foil tape? Foam tape? I'm unsure here and haven't started yet because of that.
Old March 6th, 2018, 17:44   #72
tdijim
Veteran Member

Default type of tape?

So, some people used solid tape, like for hvac...the aluminum type, and they shut out the outside smells, engine smells, and got very hot heater and very cold a/c results?

Why bother with the adhesive felt or foam, then?
tdijim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2018, 09:33   #73
BobnOH
not-a-mechanic

Fuel Economy: 50/45/35

Nothing gets shut out. The blend door comes with a foam seal which often didintegrates over tim. We're simply replacing that. The HVAC tape is more permanent, some type of foam tape might seal better. Your choice. Likely not enough data to determine which is better.
BobnOH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2018, 09:56   #74
Stromaluski
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdijim View Post
So, some people used solid tape, like for hvac...the aluminum type, and they shut out the outside smells, engine smells, and got very hot heater and very cold a/c results?

Why bother with the adhesive felt or foam, then?
Having done both, I can say that the difference is purely for sound. Doing the door with the hvac tape, you will hear a tinny *thud* when any of the doors goes all the way open or closed from the door hitting the side of the box. But you do have to listen for it. If you use the felt/foam, you get a quieter operation from the doors. So far, both have held up fine, even after doing them 10+ years ago (in mk2s, anyway).
Old March 27th, 2018, 09:35   #75
kirktdi

Did this a couple of weeks ago. Used HVAC tape. Took my time (over 7 hours). Biggest obstacles were 1. putting the tape on the doors and 2. getting the cover off of the box. Smaller hands would have helped for the tape. Hooked a crow bar on the bottom of the cover and it finally came up and out. Total success and well worth the time. Now with good heat and A/C for $6
kirktdi is offline   Reply With Quote