www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal

Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal Discussion around the VW Dieselgate Emissions scandal. Details and news updates can be viewed here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=448336 This forum is a work in progress depending on requirements, usage, etc.

Old February 9th, 2018, 04:09   #46
Rico567
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFaster View Post
As with most manufacturers, Honda wants you to buy a CUV instead, and has an ample choice of them ...
They have an ample choice of them because that is what so many people are buying. Just driving around our midwestern city, I can see how many of the vehicles being driven (or parked) are pickups, SUVs, and vans. Our two cars (the Passat sedan and our SAAB wagon) are fading fast.
Choice in the marketplace of "drivers' cars" is becoming more and more limited, and a lot of those are too pricey for us.

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
- Adam Savage
Rico567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2018, 17:40   #47
tikal
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 37 MPG (~ 45% city)

Quote:
As with most manufacturers, Honda wants you to buy a CUV instead, and has an ample choice of them ...
Yes, wagons are becoming an 'extinct species' in North America unfortunately. In the future one might have to import one from Europe (a diesel mid-size wagon for example).
tikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2018, 18:36   #48
Diesl
Veteran Member

Default My new car is my old car

Changed from buyback to fix. It took two weeks from changing the selection, to having it all done.

For some reason, the old wagon (2012 w/ DSG) feels like a new car. I made sure to step on it right after the fix: it's as spunky and torquey as before. Today we drove it in the snow: no problems either. Having the new warranty feels pretty good as well.

Electric cars don't seem to be quite there yet, non-VWs just weren't up to par, and the 2015 TDI wagon either forced you to get the sunroof, or be underoptioned. Plus, the pricing is just ridiculous. Closest to being a viable option was the new Alltrack, but I think winter tires are more important than 4-wheel drive, plus I really like the mileage and having to refuel only once a week. Another big plus: no car payments.

I'm really happy with the new old car. Getting this car turned out to be a really good decision, thanks to VWs emissions shenanigans.

Last edited by Diesl; February 9th, 2018 at 18:42.
Diesl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2018, 21:15   #49
Tony45
Veteran Member

Quote:
There is no manual with the hybrid. It is not even possible to do such a thing with how that powertrain works.
You can get a NON-HYBRID with a manual transmission. The one in the video was the NON-HYBRID 2.0 Turbo.
Ooops, I stand corrected!
Tony45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2018, 14:11   #50
gmcjetpilot
Veteran Member

With the uncertainty of my TDI (which I just got emission mod done, waiting for check)... I bought a used 2015 Nissan Leaf. It is VERY high mileage. I have driven it everyday for almost 5 months and have NEVER filled it up at the fuel station... :-)

With that said my electric bill has bumped up slightly.

Since I had the MOD that was my decision to keep my TDI.

gmcjetpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2018, 05:58   #51
Tony45
Veteran Member

I’m seriously considering waiting for the 2018-19 Honda CR-V Hybrid 2.0 Liter that was released in Japan and China late last year. The engine / trans appear to be taken from the new Accord Hybrid (not sure if this is what we get in the US); hope not the 1.5 Liter engine.

https://youtu.be/6_fuyYMFtcw
Old March 6th, 2018, 08:03   #52
pfennig

I completed my buyback almost a month ago now, so likely won't be frequenting this forum much in the future. But who knows, I'm a little OC.

I replaced my 2014 JSW with a 2018 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV, GT trim, because:
- Very easy to do 90% of my driving within the 22mile all-electric range
- Very easy to drive as a pure EV. It is an EV. Kia Niro likes to turn on the engine.
- AWD and small but usable towing capacity
- Nice systems -- android auto, cross traffic warning, adaptive cruise, 360 cameras, etc
- Waaaay cheaper than other plugin wagons/CUVs (Niro + euro luxury models only!?!?)
- Dealer gave me a great deal on the GT trim with the bells & whistles
- No transmission!
- Proven track record in Europe and elsewhere.

We picked it up with 12 miles on the odometer and a full tank of gas. Done about 600 miles so far, still have half a tank of gas. It's set to charge at 220v after midnight.

Cons:
- After we get the rebate, still a few thousand more than my JSW trade in, boo hoo.
- Definitely taller and more CUV-like than the JSW. Handling not as "tight", hood looks huge after the JSW.
- It randomly beeps sometimes. This is a known 'thing'. I pretend it's an intentional driver awareness aide

So no manual transmission, but it's a (lifted) wagon and comes in brown (well, "ruby black pearl", but it's brown in the right lights). Next year's model will have a few pct more battery range and a stronger petrol engine, but it's not here yet and I've got no regrets.
pfennig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2018, 09:40   #53
Tony45
Veteran Member

The Kia Niro plug-in hybrid (new this year) is also in the running for me. It has a 26 mile EV range that suits my daily retirement routine; probably covers 80% of my city driving. I’ve a garage and charging is no problem, it’s easier to just not worry about frequent charging. I’ve another car assigned to longer distance travel.

Last edited by Tony45; March 6th, 2018 at 14:42.
Old March 7th, 2018, 08:07   #54
JoshMcMadMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfennig View Post
I completed my buyback almost a month ago now, so likely won't be frequenting this forum much in the future. But who knows, I'm a little OC.

I replaced my 2014 JSW with a 2018 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV, GT trim, because:
- Very easy to do 90% of my driving within the 22mile all-electric range
- Very easy to drive as a pure EV. It is an EV. Kia Niro likes to turn on the engine.
- AWD and small but usable towing capacity
- Nice systems -- android auto, cross traffic warning, adaptive cruise, 360 cameras, etc
- Waaaay cheaper than other plugin wagons/CUVs (Niro + euro luxury models only!?!?)
- Dealer gave me a great deal on the GT trim with the bells & whistles
- No transmission!
- Proven track record in Europe and elsewhere.

We picked it up with 12 miles on the odometer and a full tank of gas. Done about 600 miles so far, still have half a tank of gas. It's set to charge at 220v after midnight.

Cons:
- After we get the rebate, still a few thousand more than my JSW trade in, boo hoo.
- Definitely taller and more CUV-like than the JSW. Handling not as "tight", hood looks huge after the JSW.
- It randomly beeps sometimes. This is a known 'thing'. I pretend it's an intentional driver awareness aide

So no manual transmission, but it's a (lifted) wagon and comes in brown (well, "ruby black pearl", but it's brown in the right lights). Next year's model will have a few pct more battery range and a stronger petrol engine, but it's not here yet and I've got no regrets.
Are you willing to share what you managed to get the GT for?
Keep in mind the $7500 is a credit, not a rebate. So, you have to "owe" at least $7500 at the end of the year to see that money.
JoshMcMadMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2018, 19:23   #55
pfennig

It's friday and i'm lazy. And/or had a mai tai. So I'm not digging the actual sales slip out... but it was approximately $40500 total. I.e. including taxes fees, delivery, everything.

The tax credit also won't be 7500, the battery isn't that big. I think it'll be around $5600.

So *approximately* I'm looking at $35k for the Outlander. And VW paid me $30.5k for the JSW (which I didn't pay that much for originally). I'm making out like a bandit.... as well I should be given that VW cheated.

It's a shame really, we liked the JSW, no complaints other than that they cheated. Being green was part of why we bought. But I'm not religious about diesel, and I _really_ like our new car/cuv/suv. I'm sure the mitsubishi isnt for everyone, but right now it's the only thing like it less than $70k (some Volvo, which I'm sure is really nice but !@$!@!@%!@ $70k!!!!)

Last edited by pfennig; March 9th, 2018 at 19:28.
pfennig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2018, 23:02   #56
Jaestar3000

Fuel Economy: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfennig View Post
I replaced my 2014 JSW with a 2018 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV, GT trim, because: ....
Our last JSW got buybacked 3 weeks ago and we just took delivery of a loaded AWD diesel Equinox tonight. With the VW money it was like affording a used car with a new warranty (wife tends to keep a car + 5 years).
I had my Jetta buybacked in 2016 and bought a Volt so I was encouraging her to get an Outlander, she drives about 40 miles a day so she'd be dipping into the gas every day but that'd still be something like 60 mpg. However, she didn't have a good first impression of it and hates plugging in the charger (drove my Volt since her car got sold). She wanted the CX-5 too but bit the bullet and drove the Equinox and found that they cloned a lot of stuff from the JSW and felt at home. I also wanted her to just get a 2015 GSW TDI which would have cost us $0 as a stopgap until better EV / PHEVs come along, but she sat in one and was just really turned off. Hybrid SUVs were out of the question, wrong economy for her, bad hwy, good city MPG.
She told me about her decision which was revealing and maybe helpful for others:
If VW had a Tiguan hybrid in the US like they're sending to China it would have been a done deal. Ultimately she said she was frustrated with US automakers for not making a sporty (with a manual) wagon or small SUV with long range that she doesn't have to take to the gas station all the time. The Equinox was the closest we could get at this time. So the timing is good for the last diesel we'll have, in 5 years there should be plenty of plugin options. But man do I hate still having to burn fuel from the ground and not getting to take advantage of the tax credit before it runs out.
In order for the wife and I: 2000 Golf GLS TDI, 2004 Jetta Wagon GLS TDI, 1982 diesel RabbitTruck, (all sold), 2009 Jetta TDI (buyback'ed!), 2010 JSW TDI, all stick shifts! 2014 CHEVY VOLT - 1 gear manual transmission
Jaestar3000 is offline   Reply With Quote