www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Conversions

TDI Conversions Discussions on converting non TDIs into TDIS. More general items can be answered better in other sections. This is ideal for issues that don't have an overlap and are very special to swaping engines.

Old May 30th, 2017, 15:37   #61
frambach

TDI(s): 3 ALHs

Welded up my custom aluminum coolant flange out of the back of the head and rolled a bead on the tubing coming off of it. It's ready to go to my X pipe that I'm designing.

Completely welded out my tacked exhaust and have it run all the way from the turbo back to the crossmember that is home to the front torsion bars. I need to fab a new exhaust support that ties the 3" stainless to the bellhousing bolts (like the stock Toyota exhaust was secured).

Got my nozzles (Bosio) installed on my injectors and set. Now, those parts are all installed in the head with new (Wurth) fuel line between the injectors.

I think our next order of business is buying / fabbing all of the parts for the cooling system. I'm going with a custom aluminum Griffin radiator (fill, upper, and lower hoses will all be on the driver's side) and I will have to design & fab a way to mount it. Planning to run a single, Spal e-fan.

After that, 1/2" plumbing for the fuel system - including purchasing the Fuelab lift pump.

Last edited by frambach; May 30th, 2017 at 15:39.
frambach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2017, 17:36   #62
Rockwell
Veteran Member

Have any pictures of the exhaust? I'd like to see how you squeezed 3" in there. I was having trouble with 2.25"
1996 B4 Passat
Rockwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2017, 17:55   #63
frambach

These pics still are what I went with. Now it's welded up instead of just tacked. I don't have any pics of the tube work outside of the truck or on an engine stand.

Before I send it off for coating, I will take some proper pictures of the parts on the bench. They look great in person. It's a shame that ugly coating will keep pretty much everyone from seeing just how sweet the welds and fitment look. Oh well, it has to be coated to help manage underhood temps.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.p...3&postcount=29

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.p...4&postcount=30
Old June 3rd, 2017, 21:12   #64
frambach

Check out my 3" exhaust fab work here:
Old June 4th, 2017, 07:49   #65
papasmurf
Veteran Member

wow looks great! all of that room in there. may need to rethink mine
papasmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2017, 07:29   #66
frambach

Well, after forever it seems, The exhaust is done and I'm getting everything ready to send out to Swain Tech.

About Swain, I was planning to have them coat:
- exhaust manifold
- turbo hot side
- all the stainless you see in the following pics

However, my memory is playing tricks with me. For some reason, I was thinking that I was NOT going to coat the manifold. I was thinking that I had read somewhere that coating the actual manifold was a no-no.

Then, to refresh my memory, I started digging around yesterday and found threads where folks were glad that they did. If anyone can help clear my foggy memory on this (pros vs cons), I'm all ears. Otherwise, it's going to get coated.

BUT... before I cover up my welds for good, I took a picture of my exhaust mocked up on our spare ALH.

Have a look for yourself
In these two pics, you can see the double-slip joint (just behind the oil filter) & the bracket I made to attach the exhaust to the bellhousing (bolts into a modified O2 sensor bung).

If you want to zoom in so far as to taste the filler rod, try this link: http://i.imgur.com/AnLz5g3.jpg

Last edited by frambach; July 30th, 2017 at 07:31.
Old August 7th, 2017, 10:18   #67
hughesjasonk
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ?? Drive it like you stole it ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by frambach View Post
Well, after forever it seems, The exhaust is done and I'm getting everything ready to send out to Swain Tech.

About Swain, I was planning to have them coat:
- exhaust manifold
- turbo hot side
- all the stainless you see in the following pics

However, my memory is playing tricks with me. For some reason, I was thinking that I was NOT going to coat the manifold. I was thinking that I had read somewhere that coating the actual manifold was a no-no.

Then, to refresh my memory, I started digging around yesterday and found threads where folks were glad that they did. If anyone can help clear my foggy memory on this (pros vs cons), I'm all ears. Otherwise, it's going to get coated.

BUT... before I cover up my welds for good, I took a picture of my exhaust mocked up on our spare ALH.

Have a look for yourself
In these two pics, you can see the double-slip joint (just behind the oil filter) & the bracket I made to attach the exhaust to the bellhousing (bolts into a modified O2 sensor bung).

If you want to zoom in so far as to taste the filler rod, try this link: http://i.imgur.com/AnLz5g3.jpg

coat the turbo manifold, hot and cold side of the turbo, intake pipe and intake manifold, and if you have the head off the combustion chamber.

it is very much worth it in the long run

hughesjasonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2017, 19:09   #68
frambach

Thanks for that input.

I can see doing the intake manifold. That would serve as yet another barrier to try to keep that exhaust heat from making its way back to the air flowing through the intake.

However, I'm a little perplexed in that you recommend coating the compressor side of the turbo. From a logical standpoint, wouldn't you want that to be left bare aluminum to help get rid of heat that is being created by pressurizing the atmosphere?
Old August 7th, 2017, 20:53   #69
89vr6
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2000 base

Quote:
Originally Posted by frambach View Post
Thanks for that input.
I can see doing the intake manifold. That would serve as yet another barrier to try to keep that exhaust heat from making its way back to the air flowing through the intake.
However, I'm a little perplexed in that you recommend coating the compressor side of the turbo. From a logical standpoint, wouldn't you want that to be left bare aluminum to help get rid of heat that is being created by pressurizing the atmosphere?

man you're in the boro?!? I need to come check this thing out in person I'm in Clarksville
89vr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2017, 05:33   #70
frambach

Yeah, man! Boro resident. Let me know if you're down this way.

I'm in the process of looking for a box to ship all of this stuff off to Swain. Then, I'm moving on to the cooling system.

From there, a Fuelab lift pump. Lastly will be wiring. With my current work schedule, there's no telling how long all of this will take though. Gotta make hay when the sun shines
Old August 19th, 2017, 15:29   #71
papasmurf
Veteran Member

Can't wait to see this running. Everything looks great sho far. Are you gonna stay with the 4:10 rear gears?
Old August 19th, 2017, 17:00   #72
frambach

No, going to change them out in v1.0.

Got to get through this 'beta' testing first (moves under it's own power).

Yesterday I ordered our Fuelab lift pump, custom Griffin radiator, custom aluminum fan shroud, & Spal e-fan!

Today, boxed up the following to go to Swain:
- intake & exhaust manifolds
- all the custom exhaust tubing shown above
- our custom aluminum water-neck out of the back of the head (so close to exhaust over bellhousing)
Old February 22nd, 2018, 18:29   #73
papasmurf
Veteran Member

In for updates bud
Old March 5th, 2018, 17:28   #74
Millennium Falcon
Veteran Member

This is a great build!

1949 Willys cj3a ALH tdi swap
Millennium Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2018, 19:28   #75
frambach

Progress is still bumping along. I've changed jobs and work a ton now. Add to that winter chill and short days and not a whole lot has happened.

But, here is what has happened since last updated:
- Engine is in
- Exhaust has been 100% finalized, Swain coated, and installed
- Fuelab lift pump for Duramax ordered, received, and mocked-up
- Powersteering high pressure hose has been fabbed and installed
- clutch line remade and routed better using braided stainless
- intercooler brackets are finalized and installed
- lower radiator brackets (to frame rails) designed, fabbed, and installed
- upper radiator bracket designed, water-jetted and installed
- all air handling plumbing done with the exception of from intercooler to intake (current project)
Here's a pic of the radiator final location and top bracket. I used GM radiator isolators top and bottom.

Once the parts I'm lacking come in to finish the air handling side, I'm moving over to handling the coolant flow.

After that, will be fuel lines - delivery and return.

Then, a plethora of aftermarket gauges to keep tabs on everything.

Lastly, figure out where to put the battery (air filter is where the battery used to be) and wiring.

I'm not sweating the wiring but figure it will be easier to have a real clean look if I wait until all hard parts are where they need to be. Once everything is in place, running wires should be clean, quick, and (relatively) easy.

At my glacial pace, there's no telling when that will be though...

I do appreciate everyone's interest and am still committed to this project 100%. Even after all this time, my love for this TDI powered Toyota has not waned. I STILL think this will be one super cool truck