www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old February 28th, 2018, 05:03   #16
jokila

Fuel Economy: 52/45/40

Inner boots are not that big of deal. No specialized tools unless you mean the triple square to get the axle off the flanges.

I am still riding on original outer boots at 410K miles.
jokila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2018, 13:19   #17
Rob Mayercik
Veteran Member

Maybe the output speed sensor (G68) is acting up, but not enough to trigger its own code?

I just had the G68 sensor (output speed) go out on my car, was out on the highway cruising and out of nowhere it seemed to drop out of overdrive into 3rd. I pulled over and shut off/restarted the engine to power-cycle the TCU, and then it wouldn't go into D until around 3200 RPMs (and harshly at that). Local roads at that point were 3 only - no lower gears. Took it easy to get it home and found the code for that and the one you have (P0740).

I parked mine until I could get the sensor changed (G68 is the one under the trans mount, and a royal pain to get to). Since both my sensors were original at 360,900 miles, I had the G38 (input speed) changed as well as insurance. I also had a fluid/filter change done (partly because it had been a year since the last change, and partly to ensure we weren't putting good sensors into a failing trans), and the fluid was clean, so the sensors were thankfully the only issue. I even think the TCC Lockup code was caused by the G68, since it meant the TCU wasn't getting good info on what speed the car was going.

(Edit) No, I'm not on the original trans in my car.

Last edited by Rob Mayercik; March 5th, 2018 at 13:23.
Rob Mayercik is offline   Reply With Quote