www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)

Upgrades (non TDI Engine related) The place of handling, lighting and other upgrades that do not relate to the performance or economy of the TDI engine. In other words upgrades to your TDI that don't fit into TDI Fuel Economy & TDI Engine Enhancements.Please note the Performance Disclaimer

Old February 21st, 2018, 21:34   #3181
ThatGTI

TDI(s): MK6 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB_NB View Post
It is a 13 foot Camplite We had to search for it and drove 300 miles to get it. All aluminum/composite unit. The Beetle is generating ~315 TQ/160 HP. So it pulls no problem. When we are cruising, there is a lot of wind drag because of the shape and so much of the trailer face is not protected by the Beetle so we feel that. Don't really need brakes with this parachute behind us . So much drag that the turbo is always boosting at about 5 psi. It doesn't generate boost when cruising when the trailer is off.
Very nice! I looked up the specs and saw that it was a lot lighter than I expected. I figured all aluminium would be, but still.

Quote:
Originally Posted by where2 View Post
Put an AirLift setup in the factory springs. I love that setup on my wife's MkV. I've put the AirLift setup in my MkIV Wagon as well, but I didn't take the Wagon on a 4500 mile test drive with the trailer...

Here's the link to the photos before the AirLift setup went on the cars...
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.p...postcount=2470
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.p...postcount=2477
I might have to look into that. Thanks! I'm anxious to see how it does with the stock springs by themselves.
ThatGTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2018, 09:23   #3182
ThatGTI

TDI(s): MK6 GTI

Last Sunday I took a trip from Ohio down to Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. The trip went pretty smoothly. The car towed the pop-up without any issues at all, I was genuinely impressed with how well it it did.

We had a spot right next to the beach. It was so nice falling asleep and waking up to the sound of the waves.

Last edited by ThatGTI; March 11th, 2018 at 21:01. Reason: Fixed picture links.
ThatGTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2018, 22:10   #3183
Oo-v-oO
Veteran Member

55, 40# bags of Anthracite nut coal. 2,200#. Trailer did not like all of the frost heaves we have this time of year in NH.

Oo-v-oO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2018, 14:01   #3184
[486]
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 02 golf ALH
Fuel Economy: 42 stock, 47-49 now

Don't get delivery in your area?
from what I hear you usually get a few tons delivered a lot cheaper than in bags
[486] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2018, 15:49   #3185
Oo-v-oO
Veteran Member

This was from a free ad. ;-)
Old March 11th, 2018, 19:50   #3186
[486]
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 02 golf ALH
Fuel Economy: 42 stock, 47-49 now

Who gives money away?
[486] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2018, 21:40   #3187
Oo-v-oO
Veteran Member

It happens, sometimes. I can't remember the last time I've paid to heat my home, other than in motor fuel and sweat equity.

The person I got it from said I was about the 12th to respond but the only one to use the magic words. "I heat with coal". The rest were just out to flip it for a buck.
Old March 18th, 2018, 14:51   #3188
Geordi
Veteran Member

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell. But it is really hot here in S. Florida...

Why would someone give it away? Don't they need it to heat their own home?

I think I'd be looking to set up some form of omnivorous heating system - is there such a thing, that can use coal or pellet pine or otherwise? Mainly I only know of gas or oil/diesel heaters.
Old March 19th, 2018, 07:31   #3189
kjclow
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 max / 44 avg on beetle ~37 on JSW

A good heating stove should be able to burn any consumable solid. Probably not able to burn liquid/gas in the same stove but wood, coal, paper... should all be good.
Old March 19th, 2018, 22:02   #3190
Oo-v-oO
Veteran Member

The person with the coal injured his back and couldn't hump around 40# bags any more. He needed the room in his garage and so we both won. He regrettably will be heating with gas now, would have been happy continuing to burn coal but such is life.

We heat our entire house (other than a 10K btu unvented propane heater in the upstairs bathroom for subzero days) with an Ashley combo wood and coal stove. It burns wood, of course, and Anthracite coal sized Pea up through Stove. You need to be careful with Pea because it tends to drop through the grates fairly easily so I blend it with Nut and that helps. We have no other sources of heat.Typically burn wood in the Spring and Fall, when it is still too warm for a proper coal fire.

I have burned some Butuminous and Cannel coal, but it is very dirty and stinky. Anthracite burns very clean with no smoke and only a little bit of odor outside when you first load it up.

I love heating with coal. Only need to tend the stove twice a day unless it is below zero.
Old March 20th, 2018, 08:27   #3191
jmodge
Veteran Member

sounds like the same furnace I have for wood. Do you have the funky little hinged vent door on the main door. The only thing I don't like about it. 17 years and in use right now.
Old March 26th, 2018, 22:19   #3192
Geordi
Veteran Member

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell. But it is really hot here in S. Florida...

Hmm, interesting. So does this heat water that then is piped through the house to radiators, or some other direct method? What kind of cost would it be normally... And lastly, since this is so small, would something like a pellet stove (which I think they have little augers in them to feed the pellets) work for this?
Old March 26th, 2018, 22:28   #3193
Oo-v-oO
Veteran Member

Mine does have a little hinged door in the main door, I believe it is there to relieve pressure in the case of a minor explosion in the stove which can happen if you have it really cranking along then turn the temperature way down, starving the fire for air. It will eventually get enough to ignite whatever flammable vapors have accumulated in the stove and it goes "WOOOF" and puffs smoke out into the room.

The stove just heats the air, it is not a boiler.

Not exactly small, either. From empty it takes 40-50 pounds of coal to fill it. This is a "hand-fired" coal stove, where you shovel the coal in manually. A "stoker" stove is more like a pellet stove, except it burns Rice or Buckwheat sized coal, typically. Some use augers and some use a pusher mechanism that strokes back and forth, with the rate of firing being controlled by how often it strokes.
Old March 27th, 2018, 07:17   #3194
jmodge
Veteran Member

Yeah, I have had mine pop open a few times in mild weather and the coals get choked down{hardwood}. The place I bought it from said it was for letting a small amount of air in prior to loading, to avoid inducing to much air to the choked coals. They also make a door without it.
Old March 27th, 2018, 12:18   #3195
PB_NB
Veteran Member

Did some camping at Porteau Cove on the West Coast of BC.

1999 New Beetle TDI - Bosio 1019's, Malone S4, Skid Plate, Neuspeed Sway Bars, KW V2, 19's BBS-CH, Spyder LED's, EGR Delete, VF Mounts, South Bend Clutch, B&M Shift Kit, VNT17, Custom Side Mount Intercooler, HPA Big Brakes 355mm Ft/335mm Rr, 2.5" Custom SS Straight Through Exhaust, Colt Stage 2 Cam, 3 Bar Map.
PB_NB is online now   Reply With Quote