www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal

Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal Discussion around the VW Dieselgate Emissions scandal. Details and news updates can be viewed here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=448336 This forum is a work in progress depending on requirements, usage, etc.

Old March 5th, 2018, 05:18   #1
Mythdoc
Veteran Member

Default DPF replaced under warranty?

I have a question for the 2.0 owners. I can’t seem to find it answered anywhere.

In another forum for 3.0 owners a disagreement has emerged over the dieselgate extended warranty coverage for the DPF. Some insist that the coverage only extends to the DPF “breaking.” I insist that it extends to the DPF getting clogged with use and needing “replacement.”

How have your cars been handled? I am guessing this has come up for some of you.

2011 Touareg TDI 74K Miles (sold back to VW, May, 2018)
2015 Golf TDI 16K Miles (son’s)
Mythdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2018, 14:55   #2
Diesl
Veteran Member

According to the booklet from VW, any malfunctions indicated by the OBD system, except those related to the transmission, are covered. If the DPF throws a code, that's a malfunction.
Old March 14th, 2018, 19:03   #3
Mythdoc
Veteran Member

Thank you. I was “positive” I was right but the person disagreeing with me was quite adamant (and became a little disagreeable in the process)

Old March 16th, 2018, 10:16   #4
fredthe
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesl View Post
According to the booklet from VW, any malfunctions indicated by the OBD system, except those related to the transmission, are covered. If the DPF throws a code, that's a malfunction.
Except when they don't cover it

On my '15 GSW, I had an AdBlue heater fail code after the fix. Initially the dealer said that part wasn't in the warranty list, and I had to escalate with VW to get it covered. VW did cover it, but it took extra steps/time. Just because it implies coverage, doesn't mean it's in their secret book of what's really covered.

fredthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2018, 06:45   #5
Mythdoc
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredthe View Post
Except when they don't cover it
On my '15 GSW, I had an AdBlue heater fail code after the fix. Initially the dealer said that part wasn't in the warranty list, and I had to escalate with VW to get it covered. VW did cover it, but it took extra steps/time. Just because it implies coverage, doesn't mean it's in their secret book of what's really covered.
This sounds like the typical story of the dealer’s first instinct being to talk the customer into paying for anything and everything.

Old March 17th, 2018, 12:21   #6
Galo
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythdoc View Post
This sounds like the typical story of the dealer’s first instinct being to talk the customer into paying for anything and everything.
^^^^^
My 2010 Jetta had the famous intake manifold flappers fail at 74,600 miles, and the dealer presented me with a quote for $937 and change.
I called VoA and spoke to a nice lady to whom I asked 'why is the dealer wanting to charge me $937 and change to replace a part that falls within the Federal 80k mile emissions warranty?'

Two hours after I hung up, she called me back to say that VW would cover the repair.

When the car was finished and I went to pick it up, my service rep said 'looks like you got some help from VoA on this one' and my response -loud enough to have two other customers hear me- was 'Yeah, and I'm more curious as to why you wanted to charge me $937 for a repair you should know is covered under warranty'

Slimes.....
Galo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2018, 12:58   #7
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

It is almost universal that most things like this is to deny first and see if the customer pursues it further. Government benefits, insurance, car warranty, etc...

They can always change their mind if you do. If not they get over and save money and alienate customers.