www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Conversions

TDI Conversions Discussions on converting non TDIs into TDIS. More general items can be answered better in other sections. This is ideal for issues that don't have an overlap and are very special to swaping engines.

Old February 28th, 2018, 12:45   #16
Inhabor

Quote:
Originally Posted by markd89 View Post
FYI: I had a .70 and switched to a .77. I kinda wish I kept the .70. I'm also running much larger tires 16" 215 75 R16, You could still have sufficient power, drop RPMs and get more MPG with taller gears..
Well to be honest with you I have no idea of what those numbers mean. Lol I'm going with my trasmission expert recommended after I gave him the information that he asked for. I'm also getting LS
Inhabor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2018, 16:24   #17
AndyBees
Veteran Member

Inhabor, "slowing" down the TDI engine is important from at least two aspects.

1. With stock transmission gearing, the RPMs at 70 mph will be in the neighborhood of 3600. Unless you have extremely soft motor mounts and good sound-deadening, the noise inside the Bus will be very annoying.

2. Your TDI engine will be far more efficient and last much, much longer if the RPMs are below 3100 at 70 MPH.

I'm far from an expert on transmissions, but I did rebuild the tranny for my project. In fact, researching, rebuilding and re-gearing the tranny was one of the first things I did with my project.

I admit up front, I have very little knowledge or experience with pre-1980 Van/Bus transmissions.

My tranny is a 1980 model, first of the Vanagons, Code DK. It also has a 4.57 Ring and Pinion and come OE with a 0.85:1 4th gear ratio. I upgraded (taller) both 3rd and 4th gears. My 4th gear is a 0.77:1 as Markd89 referenced. I did the entire rebuild my self using over $1,000 in parts from Weddle Industries. Of course, I had to replace some damaged components which added about 1/3 to the cost. To date, I've driven it over 80k miles with no problems... shifts great.

I'm running 215/75/15 wheels/tires...

Take a look at the chart below showing Vanagon Transmissions. It doesn't apply to your Bus tranny, but it will give you some ideas. You can see the DK tranny and the original gearing and then at the bottom see my custom tranny.

Also, look at the chart, pick some ratios and apply to the Gear Ratio Calculator at Weddle https://weddleindustries.com/

And, at this web site, you can plug-in your tire size to learn about diameter, revolutions per mile, etc.... https://tiresize.com/calculator/

Old February 28th, 2018, 17:18   #18
Inhabor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyBees View Post
Inhabor, "slowing" down the TDI engine is important from at least two aspects.

1. With stock transmission gearing, the RPMs at 70 mph will be in the neighborhood of 3600. Unless you have extremely soft motor mounts and good sound-deadening, the noise inside the Bus will be very annoying.

2. Your TDI engine will be far more efficient and last much, much longer if the RPMs are below 3100 at 70 MPH.

I'm far from an expert on transmissions, but I did rebuild the tranny for my project. In fact, researching, rebuilding and re-gearing the tranny was one of the first things I did with my project.

I admit up front, I have very little knowledge or experience with pre-1980 Van/Bus transmissions.

My tranny is a 1980 model, first of the Vanagons, Code DK. It also has a 4.57 Ring and Pinion and come OE with a 0.85:1 4th gear ratio. I upgraded (taller) both 3rd and 4th gears. My 4th gear is a 0.77:1 as Markd89 referenced. I did the entire rebuild my self using over $1,000 in parts from Weddle Industries. Of course, I had to replace some damaged components which added about 1/3 to the cost. To date, I've driven it over 80k miles with no problems... shifts great.

I'm running 215/75/15 wheels/tires...

Take a look at the chart below showing Vanagon Transmissions. It doesn't apply to your Bus tranny, but it will give you some ideas. You can see the DK tranny and the original gearing and then at the bottom see my custom tranny.

Also, look at the chart, pick some ratios and apply to the Gear Ratio Calculator at Weddle https://weddleindustries.com/

And, at this web site, you can plug-in your tire size to learn about diameter, revolutions per mile, etc.... https://tiresize.com/calculator/

Thank you very much for the information.
Inhabor is offline   Reply With Quote