www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal

Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal Discussion around the VW Dieselgate Emissions scandal. Details and news updates can be viewed here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=448336 This forum is a work in progress depending on requirements, usage, etc.

Old February 25th, 2018, 11:14   #106
skinnyv

Test drove a prestige 16 A6. Dealer not really willing to budge on price , 10% off.

When you compare the 16 with an 18..... the ride, sound and numerous other things say you need a pretty big discount, at least in our case for the value to be there.

The tdi was pretty loud, and to be honest low end torque versus the 18 gas model hardly a difference. The gas model had some serious pickup.

For now on the sidelines unless we can score one for $50k maybe lower, other than that may move on to gas model in an 18. The gas model 18 screams luxury ride and comfort, the 16 screams sportier nicer passat.

Last edited by skinnyv; February 25th, 2018 at 11:28.
skinnyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2018, 08:53   #107
stealthTDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnyv View Post
Test drove a prestige 16 A6. Dealer not really willing to budge on price , 10% off.
When you compare the 16 with an 18..... the ride, sound and numerous other things say you need a pretty big discount, at least in our case for the value to be there.
The tdi was pretty loud, and to be honest low end torque versus the 18 gas model hardly a difference. The gas model had some serious pickup.
For now on the sidelines unless we can score one for $50k maybe lower, other than that may move on to gas model in an 18. The gas model 18 screams luxury ride and comfort, the 16 screams sportier nicer passat.
I have been offered a 2016 A6 TDI prestige (60 miles on the odo)for $55,300 w a sticker $74,000 that I will be accepting. You may want to rethink your position on the TDI as I currently own a 2017 gasser w/4k miles on it that I will be trading in for the TDI. The 2017 is a nice car but a habitual fuel burner.
stealthTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2018, 18:44   #108
skinnyv

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealthTDI View Post
I have been offered a 2016 A6 TDI prestige (60 miles on the odo)for $55,300 w a sticker $74,000 that I will be accepting. You may want to rethink your position on the TDI as I currently own a 2017 gasser w/4k miles on it that I will be trading in for the TDI. The 2017 is a nice car but a habitual fuel burner.
Thatís a nice discount, I hear you in the gas issue. Did you test drive the fixed Audi yet? Yours must have some other features to get $74k msrp, the one we test drove was $68k and was loaded but did not have comfort seating if thatís available. The 18 and comfort seating was pretty nice.

Iíve been thinking more and more about the car but need to see a bigger discount.
Old March 17th, 2018, 19:35   #109
tdi_sport
Veteran Member

https://www.pfaffaudi.com/new/vehicl...-id8647876.htm

Just under 50k in american dollars i believe. Jump on these guys peeps. They have about 4 left at those prices. Brand new
tdi_sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2018, 09:38   #110
spicy_red
Veteran Member

I was but my local stealership in north Edmonton (won't mention who) are a bunch of d!cks. Done with VW for now. They're gauging people for their old stock and are unwilling to negotiate. Looks like this VW-faithful has bought another brand.

spicy_red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2018, 13:25   #111
stealthTDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnyv View Post
Thatís a nice discount, I hear you in the gas issue. Did you test drive the fixed Audi yet? Yours must have some other features to get $74k msrp, the one we test drove was $68k and was loaded but did not have comfort seating if thatís available. The 18 and comfort seating was pretty nice.

Iíve been thinking more and more about the car but need to see a bigger discount.
I did take delivery of the '16 A6. The specs are as follows: Prestige pkg ,Driver assist pkg ,Comfort seating pkg ,S-line spt pkg ,Cold weather pkg ,Audi guard protect kit ,Cargo net ,Wheel lock kit ,First aide kit and 4 yrs additional AudiCare.
stealthTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2018, 01:08   #112
tdi_sport
Veteran Member

Well here goes. Original very well loaded a7. Pre scandal offer was about $73k USD. Thats $97K CDN.

Post scandal they offered me $63k USD or $85k CDN. Told them to pound sand.

My guy that i was dealing with had quit so negotiating had started over.

After showing them a number of ontario cars that sold for $48K USD or $65K CDN last april i told them that my hard offer was going to be $45K USD or $60K CDN.

Car has less than two hours driving time in total. Today i called to see if they are considering the offer i gave them last week and im told that they are deliberating still.

I hope i get it just as much as i hope i dont.

For $70K i can buy a fully loaded and easily tunable x5d with the same bells and whistles. The only diff is that the bmw is easy to tune AND... the teck in it will be 3.5 years newer.

Is this a good deal at my asking price? What you guys think?
Old June 25th, 2018, 02:27   #113
saggii
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdi_sport View Post
Well here goes. Original very well loaded a7. Pre scandal offer was about $73k USD. Thats $97K CDN.

Post scandal they offered me $63k USD or $85k CDN. Told them to pound sand.

My guy that i was dealing with had quit so negotiating had started over.

After showing them a number of ontario cars that sold for $48K USD or $65K CDN last april i told them that my hard offer was going to be $45K USD or $60K CDN.

Car has less than two hours driving time in total. Today i called to see if they are considering the offer i gave them last week and im told that they are deliberating still.

I hope i get it just as much as i hope i dont.

For $70K i can buy a fully loaded and easily tunable x5d with the same bells and whistles. The only diff is that the bmw is easy to tune AND... the teck in it will be 3.5 years newer.

Is this a good deal at my asking price? What you guys think?
Is it a 14 or a 15? I personally think that a brand new 2015 A7 Prestige fully loaded with full warranty at 45K is a very good deal because of the new car warranty (minimal issues at first place) + extended warranty + 1 free maintenance. A6/7/8 have a kind of timeless design so it won't go out of style for a few years.
It would be still an OK deal if MY is 2014.
saggii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2018, 09:39   #114
skinnyv

Paid $60 k on $80k sticker

A7 prestige, do not think they would have done any more. Hard to believe they will sell the cars below what I got but could be possible.
I almost think they would rather not sell the cars then let them go at absolute rock bottom prices.

Good luck, and be careful the car could disappear all over a few $k give and take.
Old June 25th, 2018, 09:59   #115
KITEWAGON
Veteran Member

Quote:

I don't think I understand cross shopping an A7 and an x5d. They are both diesels and they are both luxury. I guess they both have AWD as well. But driving a big SUV is so much different than driving a sedan.

These cars are out of my current price range when new. But I kind of agree with the comment about being careful over losing it over a couple grand if you want the car. I mean the depreciation on both is going to be brutal so a few grand spread over a few years isn't too much relatively speaking.
KITEWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2018, 11:17   #116
tdi_sport
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saggii View Post
Is it a 14 or a 15? I personally think that a brand new 2015 A7 Prestige fully loaded with full warranty at 45K is a very good deal because of the new car warranty (minimal issues at first place) + extended warranty + 1 free maintenance. A6/7/8 have a kind of timeless design so it won't go out of style for a few years.
It would be still an OK deal if MY is 2014.
Its a 16 and its a tecknik. Ventalated seats. Headlight washers. Heated wheel. Night vision. Bang and olufsun sound. Lights package. 360 degree camera. No carplay though. Its old. Does have the 4k wifi. Less than 200 kms on it. Less than 120 miles that is.

Last edited by tdi_sport; June 25th, 2018 at 11:21.
Old June 25th, 2018, 23:28   #117
saggii
Veteran Member

Quote:
Its a 16 and its a tecknik. Ventalated seats. Headlight washers. Heated wheel. Night vision. Bang and olufsun sound. Lights package. 360 degree camera. No carplay though. Its old. Does have the 4k wifi. Less than 200 kms on it. Less than 120 miles that is.
Honestly, I'm not sure what is a tecknik model. May be a premium plus equivalent of US? Premium Plus<Prestige. And that link you shared in earlier post expired so I can't say for sure. But having said that 2016 model with bang and olufsen - if I'm not mistaken the speakers open up sort of like an umbrella on front dash was couple thousand extra. I say go for it, it is still a great deal.

You are right though that the interior looks like it could use a refresh...may be more tech? However, it is typical with Audi that they don't change style - both interior and exterior, quite so often as other manufacturers.
Old June 30th, 2018, 21:44   #118
tdi_sport
Veteran Member

$69k CAD. Thats $52.5k

Damn. Should i accept? They want $9k more than i offered.

No audi care.
Cpo warranty.
I think i can squeeze another 5k down i think.
Old July 1st, 2018, 01:43   #119
saggii
Veteran Member

Quote:
$69k CAD. Thats $52.5k

Damn. Should i accept? They want $9k more than i offered.

No audi care.
Cpo warranty.
I think i can squeeze another 5k down i think.
So I did a little bit of research for you (I buy and sell every couple months so needless to say I kinda enjoy it ) and here is what I found out/recommend -
1. Technik is canadian model for the US Prestige model which is top of the line and adds the minimum premium of 5-6 grand easy than the premium plus (progressiv). So in that car lane assist and automatic stop should be standard (I think) and you have the premium sound as well! So overall you have 8-10k of equity over the base A7 model. Equity is just an operational word here.
2. Value proposition when compared with A6: When I bought the A6 I had the similar dilemma. Everything was same with the 2 cars, well, except the body style but still A7 always had a 8-10K premium. At the same time the hatchback looked awesome and was a headturner and the owner I was talking with said he is used to getting lot of compliments for the car. He said, people thought he was uber rich but in reality was just a normal upper middle class. However, with A6 it is more like a "you have reached there thing". A6 is not flashy. You may ask why I'm even talking about A6 - just to keep things in perspective, value wise. I found A6 delivered more value and a slightly used a6 was more value for money. Having said that I looked and in 40k USD in US can get you a great 2016 A6 progressiv (PP) ever so slightly used. The same dealer whose link you posted has it on for 60k CAD. With your negotiation skills may be you can get them to 50k CAD! and that could be a good deal as well. Value vs Flash, low key(dare I say for A6) vs getting attention. You decide.
3. Resale - You would also need to resale it depending on how long you are planning to retain ownership of the car. It may be difficult to sell it at a price near your purchase price or without a monster depreciation in short term say 2-3 years. Also consider canadian currency fluctuation and the sheer size of the US market (US is pretty big market vs canadian). I know you are not a rookie buyer but I felt I just needed to say things.
4. The deal itself - I think a new A7 Prestige would be a great deal at 50k USD, though I would miss the new car warranty but nonetheless it would have emmisions warranty and CPO warranty for 2 years. But if it were me, I would have thought twice about buying because of the lower currency rate currently (1.3 vs 1 just couple years ago - CAD reached further) and the resale market size.
5. Final thoughts - Ask for 48K USD if possible (50k is still a great deal), pay with credit cards to maximize points and may be negotiate the maintenance package. I think in next couple weeks the car is going to the auction if you don't buy it or dealer is not agreeing on the price. The deal is a good one. All the best.

PS: if the deal fells through - look out for BMW 2018 340GT (hatchback) it is a 3.0 gasser and drives great (Probably not nearly as good looking as A7).
Old July 1st, 2018, 05:20   #120
Ripster

Quote:
Originally Posted by saggii View Post
So I did a little bit of research...
Good post.
Ripster is offline   Reply With Quote