www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)

Upgrades (non TDI Engine related) The place of handling, lighting and other upgrades that do not relate to the performance or economy of the TDI engine. In other words upgrades to your TDI that don't fit into TDI Fuel Economy & TDI Engine Enhancements.Please note the Performance Disclaimer

Old February 11th, 2018, 09:45   #1
Lex4TDI4Life
Veteran Member

Default Backup Camera on MKIV Golf - Wiring Routing Options?

I recently installed a Pioneer MVH-2300NEX headunit (https://www.crutchfield.com/p_130230...tp=72453&avf=Y) in my 2001 Golf TDI. So far, I love it. It has an input for an optional backup camera. I have gotten used to the camera in my 2016 R and figured I would try to hook one up on the TDI. (Yes, yes, turn your head, don't be lazy, yadayadayada). I am scratching my head, however, over how I would want to route the signal and power cables into the cabin. My first instinct is to mount the camera right above the license plate and under the bumper lip that overhangs it. I might be able to take advantage of the ingress made by the plate light wiring.

Has anybody mounted a backup camera on a MKIV golf (or Jetta Wagon) and come up with decent solutions for getting the wires into the cabin?

TIA,
Lex
RC2, Bosch T4-764 injectors, OMI, SBC Stg 2 Clutch, Koni FSDs, TT LCA Bushings, The Mystery Bar, Dieselgeek Panzer Plate, Elephant Hose, DG Race Pipe, Autometer Cobalt Boost Gauge, Boostvalve,Fumoto Valve, Mufflerectomy, Scangauge II
Lex4TDI4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2018, 17:04   #2
Judson
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2001 Jetta

Well I did this on a jetta and ran the wires through one of the license plate lights. Worked well.

How to route it from there in a Golf I have no idea.

The location (meaning above the license plate) works well though.

If you really want to go crazy, do what I did, and buy an Alpine license plate holder:

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_500KTX....html?tp=71428
2001 Jetta TDI, converted to manual, black leather/red stiching, PP520s, rc4, franko6 cam, 11mm pump, VNT 17, PD150 intake, EGR/cooler delete, 2.5" Buzzken exhaust, PD150 clutch/flywheel, DRW six-speed, Eurojet intercooler, 3bar MAP, FIS Cluster, Cupra bushings, Koni Reds/stock springs, Alpine iLX-207, foglights, Indiglo boost gauge, Longbeach wheels, Euro wood steering wheel, lift pump, Gentex autodim/homelink mirror.

Last edited by Judson; February 12th, 2018 at 07:02.
Judson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2018, 07:04   #3
cuppie

Simple. Do like I did with the Passat, and get a camera that fits the car.
This camera replaces a license plate lamp, making it a bolt-on affair.

Cable routing: If you cut the RCA connector off of the camera, the wire will easily feed thru the harness tube (from gate to body.) Simply solder a new plug on.

Depending on the length of cable that comes with the camera, you might need to get an RCA extension cable (or, a simple cable + RCA F-F connector (was necessary on the big-a$$ B5.5 wagon; might be okay on a Golf.)
cuppie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2018, 10:44   #4
Judson
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2001 Jetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuppie View Post
Simple. Do like I did with the Passat, and get a camera that fits the car.
This camera replaces a license plate lamp, making it a bolt-on affair.

Cable routing: If you cut the RCA connector off of the camera, the wire will easily feed thru the harness tube (from gate to body.) Simply solder a new plug on.

Depending on the length of cable that comes with the camera, you might need to get an RCA extension cable (or, a simple cable + RCA F-F connector (was necessary on the big-a$$ B5.5 wagon; might be okay on a Golf.)
Wow! Never saw that before. Pretty cool!
2001 Jetta TDI, converted to manual, black leather/red stiching, PP520s, rc4, franko6 cam, 11mm pump, VNT 17, PD150 intake, EGR/cooler delete, 2.5" Buzzken exhaust, PD150 clutch/flywheel, DRW six-speed, Eurojet intercooler, 3bar MAP, FIS Cluster, Cupra bushings, Koni Reds/stock springs, Alpine iLX-207, foglights, Indiglo boost gauge, Longbeach wheels, Euro wood steering wheel, lift pump, Gentex autodim/homelink mirror.
Judson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2018, 12:17   #5
SilverGhost
Veteran Member

How about this camera? LINK

Jason
SilverGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2018, 12:43   #6
Lex4TDI4Life
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGhost View Post
How about this camera? LINK

Jason
Clever design! Looks like it pops in to replace the stock license plate light. I picked up https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1. Obviously it will require a little more work and attachment to the bumper, but it apparently has a great image, including at night.
RC2, Bosch T4-764 injectors, OMI, SBC Stg 2 Clutch, Koni FSDs, TT LCA Bushings, The Mystery Bar, Dieselgeek Panzer Plate, Elephant Hose, DG Race Pipe, Autometer Cobalt Boost Gauge, Boostvalve,Fumoto Valve, Mufflerectomy, Scangauge II
Old February 12th, 2018, 15:02   #7
cuppie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judson View Post
Wow! Never saw that before. Pretty cool!
Oh, it's awesome. Looks 100% factory, and the (similar) one that I got (honestly, the camera itself is probably identical) actually has pretty good picture quality, even at night.
cuppie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2018, 18:26   #8
VincenzaV
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Better than a tank, worse than a cyclist.

Love that light mount/camera/license plate light hybrid!

Good to hear image quality if gtg. I just mounted my wagon camera inside the rear hatch glass. At top of the center rearmost headliner trim. That way the camera lens won't get dirty/scratched. But, carrying cargo can bump it out of alignment...

Silverghost, is the Golf light/camera different size than Jettas?
VincenzaV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2018, 08:27   #9
SilverGhost
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VincenzaV View Post
Love that light mount/camera/license plate light hybrid!

Good to hear image quality if gtg. I just mounted my wagon camera inside the rear hatch glass. At top of the center rearmost headliner trim. That way the camera lens won't get dirty/scratched. But, carrying cargo can bump it out of alignment...

Silverghost, is the Golf light/camera different size than Jettas?
Yeah, I believe they screw into the metal trunk lid on a Jetta, but snap into the plastic bumper in a Golf. Have to double check but I think that's right.

Jason
Old February 15th, 2018, 07:33   #10
graeme86
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Worst ever 40.9 l/100km

I have just installed the factory Scirocco camera on my R32.

Need to cut a hole in middle of bumper between the number plate lights to mount it.

There are a whole bunch of adapter cables available from VW to hook everything up.

To get a coaxial plug on the camera requires the Japanese market version (easy to put an RCA plug on this version as well)

The Euro market versions have a "data" type cable with separate RGB connections.

Number plate light camera would certainly be an easier install!

Scirocco camera comes with a long harness that I ran through a 40mm grommet.

There are two plugs on each side of the rear panel under the bumper (top ones are used for sunroof drain hoses)

Last edited by graeme86; February 15th, 2018 at 07:37.
graeme86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2018, 06:37   #11
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

I have that same/similar setup to install on my Beetle soon.
Old February 24th, 2018, 07:13   #12
Lex4TDI4Life
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGhost View Post
Yeah, I believe they screw into the metal trunk lid on a Jetta, but snap into the plastic bumper in a Golf. Have to double check but I think that's right.
Jason
I assume you had to remove the rear bumper to get the wiring through, right? Or is there a magical way to avoid this?
Old February 26th, 2018, 11:26   #13
SilverGhost
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lex4TDI4Life View Post
I assume you had to remove the rear bumper to get the wiring through, right? Or is there a magical way to avoid this?
Well, I actually got a free little cube shaped camera and screwed it in right above the lic plate. But I removed the bumper - by far the easiest way to run the wires. Both tail light come out because there are screws under them that hold the bumper.

Unless you are Gumby, then no magical way to avoid this. I suppose you could take a lic lamp out, drop a string down. Also find where the wiring goes into the body and drop a string there. Then use the string to pull the camera wiring. This way you pull the harness out the bottom, then pull is back up to the grommet into the car. Just make sure the slack loop doesn't get caught up between the lic plate lamp and the grommet.

Not an easy task, but doable.

Jason