www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Power Enhancements

TDI Power Enhancements Discussions about increasing the power of your TDI engine. i.e. chips, injectors, powerboxes, clutches, etc. Handling, suspensions, wheels, type discussion should be put into the "Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)" forum. Non TDI vehicle related postings will be moved or removed. Please note the Performance Disclaimer.

Old February 23rd, 2018, 18:00   #16
[486]
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 02 golf ALH
Fuel Economy: 42 stock, 47-49 now

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrEkkED View Post
I'm really easy on the car for the most part, but one run from 30-70 and I'm done for.
side mount will do fine
whenever you aren't making boost, the air out of the turbo is pretty much outside air temp
meaning, if you're just doing infrequent pulls it will have time to cool between them.
[486] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2018, 21:18   #17
3L3M3NT
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [486] View Post
side mount will do fine
whenever you aren't making boost, the air out of the turbo is pretty much outside air temp
meaning, if you're just doing infrequent pulls it will have time to cool between them.
IMO he could probably get away with an upgraded SMIC if he was running a stock or even a VNT-17 that's tuned, but when running a turbo that's a 17/22 or bigger than I would recommend going with a FMIC.

I know that running a larger turbo isn't going to have as high of EGTs, but it's better to have a larger intercooler on a car that is going to be making 220 hp. There's a reason why certain size ICs have a hp rating...meaning it can only flow a certain amount of air and cool it as it goes through.

If you haven't made your decision yet, then either piece together a FMIC or bite the bullet and buy one, because what was the point in spending all that money on a larger turbo, bigger injectors, and a tune to let the ECU control all the new upgrades.

Otherwise everytime you wanna push your car you're going to have to worry about heat soak
Firefox fix
RTDI Build Thread
3L3M3NT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2018, 21:44   #18
[486]
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 02 golf ALH
Fuel Economy: 42 stock, 47-49 now

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3L3M3NT View Post
IMO he could probably get away with an upgraded SMIC if he was running a stock or even a VNT-17 that's tuned, but when running a turbo that's a 17/22 or bigger than I would recommend going with a FMIC.
Eh, I was running a stock side mount as the low pressure IC with a 46/58 compressor and 52/46 turbine feeding it only 16 PSI, the HP turbo did surge a bit earlier than it should've, so maybe it was a significant enough restriction to bump that down a couple PSI.
You'd see a lot better flow through the intercooler with it seeing full intake manifold pressure though.

Current setup's going together with a 60/86 compressor feeding the same junk stock side mount, but I won't claim it's a good idea.
[486] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2018, 02:27   #19
MAXRPM
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 57 mpg driving like a granny on HWY-5 from LA to SF

suscribed
Old March 20th, 2018, 15:25   #20
Muskrat619

Not trying to hijack a thread Iím new canít figure out how to start another one yet just a quick question I bought golf all intercooler piping will it work on my all jetta?
Muskrat619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2018, 04:13   #21
Geobmx4life
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 2005Golf TDI 50mpg...best 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muskrat619 View Post
Not trying to hijack a thread Iím new canít figure out how to start another one yet just a quick question I bought golf all intercooler piping will it work on my all jetta?
Mkiv golf and Jetta are extremely close, so yes it should.
2005 Golf TDI, VNT 17, Malone tuned, Spec stage 2 clutch, .658 5th gear, Darkside SMIC, Ventectomy, NewSouth gauges, BuzzKen 2.5 turbo back exhaust, Evolution Skidplate, Helix OEM Reps retrofitted with Morimoto Bixenon mini's, ST coils, 18in Huffs. Frostheater
Geobmx4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2018, 09:21   #22
Yourbuddysatin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muskrat619 View Post

At the top of all the threads you found this thread on. Left top corner is the tab to make a new thread. I my experience mk4 golf and Jetta are about 95% the same. Most differences are body and interior pieces. For that matter there are a ton of Audi TT components that will interchange also. They might not be the same but will bolt onto one another. Little research and you wonít believe the compatablilty of those cars.
Yourbuddysatin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2018, 18:48   #23
Muskrat619

Thank you guys so much
Muskrat619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2018, 06:33   #24
WrEkkED
Veteran Member

I havn't done one yet. But I think I will use the kit above on ebay. Seems everyone sells the same intercooler anyways. I would really prefer same side in and out and thats what im holding back on for now. I cant make up my mind.
Old April 15th, 2018, 19:21   #25
3L3M3NT
Veteran Member

Same side in and out is the only way to go IMO. It makes plumbing for that intercooler sooo much easier that going with an intercooler with opposite sides for in and out.
Good luck and keep us posted on how it goes with the install.
Firefox fix
RTDI Build Thread
Old April 25th, 2018, 16:51   #26
WrEkkED
Veteran Member

Awesome! Will do. I jus dont feel like buying a pd150 intake to make it work. I will probay make a decision this week with temps getting warmer and ill update with some pics and how much of a pain it is.
Old April 25th, 2018, 17:22   #27
3L3M3NT
Veteran Member

Your stock BEW intake manifold will work. You just need to buy a race pipe to connect the silicon elbow to.
Like so: https://www.darksidedevelopments.co....pipe-51mm.html

You could always keep your factory setup and just delete the EGR with these parts.
https://www.darksidedevelopments.co....-manifold.html
https://www.darksidedevelopments.co....lete-pipe.html

Good Luck
Firefox fix
RTDI Build Thread