www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Power Enhancements

TDI Power Enhancements Discussions about increasing the power of your TDI engine. i.e. chips, injectors, powerboxes, clutches, etc. Handling, suspensions, wheels, type discussion should be put into the "Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)" forum. Non TDI vehicle related postings will be moved or removed. Please note the Performance Disclaimer.

Old February 21st, 2018, 04:17   #331
ryanp

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamss24 View Post
Was The turbine upgraded at all ? Any fancy ceramic ball bearing cartridge in it ? Take no offense but the welds on that manifold do look like they were made by a beginner...hence why I asked if they were made with the fronius ! If it works well then, it did serve itís purpose...I have friend with a vklr turbo fitted on a dark side manifold and that cracked a short while after being installed. In the end we made a cantilever bracket with rose joints in order to stop it from cracking. Dark side advised against it but it did work although Vlad bought an m3 twin turbo so the 2.0 tdi doesnít get used much !
Dont forget the manifold broke WITH the bracket against my advice

02M 6 Speed Conversions + Euro Parts - 6 Speed Setups for A4 + A5 platform,PD150 Intakes, TIP kits, Turbo's, Injectors as well as anything else!! PM Me! - Click HERE
ryanp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2018, 08:09   #332
xjay1337
Veteran Member

To be completely fair to Ryan and Darkside, I have had a Darkside manifold for what, 3 years?
Mounted with a 2260 and now my VKLR and I've had no issues with the manifold at all.

It's very, very well made.

Hybrid VKLR, BSR Ported Head, BSR Valve Springs, BSR CP3, 395hp 660nm Built and mapped by Bobby Singh , THS IC, Revo/Forge Custom Intake, Mocal Oil Cooler, 3Ē Eurojet TBE, AKS Quickshifter, Recaro Pole Positions, Schroth 4 point harnesses, Rear seat removal, R bumper, Carbon Fibre GT24 Bonnet, VWR Spoiler, OZ 18x9 Et43, AM DB9 front brakes, Audi S3 rears, Polar FIS, Hertz Audio
xjay1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2018, 08:16   #333
Rub87
Veteran Member

hmm, not really, half of the bolts u cannot acces, and you need to put a bolt instead of stud sometimes (not done practice imo) and on top of that it like to warp like a banana after a few heatcycles so it becomes leaky at the head flange.

Chance is also 100% if after some use you want to remove the plug in the EMP port it will break off and leave u with half a day of work to fix it.

also it provides totally no clearance to confortable set stopscrew

I had to turn people away with leaky manifold as I cannot waste my time on it anymore.

Imo a cast mani with properly welded turbine housing is still way superior. its cheap (free), easy acces, low volume, doesnt warp, lets you use front egr port location for EMP on oval port heads and retains stock studs and easily flows over 350hp. win-win
Old February 21st, 2018, 08:26   #334
xjay1337
Veteran Member

Maybe it's a pain to work with, that's why I pay other people for the dirty work
I just know that mine has been fine, had a few issues with studs but aside from that...no cracks etc.

Hybrid VKLR, BSR Ported Head, BSR Valve Springs, BSR CP3, 395hp 660nm Built and mapped by Bobby Singh , THS IC, Revo/Forge Custom Intake, Mocal Oil Cooler, 3Ē Eurojet TBE, AKS Quickshifter, Recaro Pole Positions, Schroth 4 point harnesses, Rear seat removal, R bumper, Carbon Fibre GT24 Bonnet, VWR Spoiler, OZ 18x9 Et43, AM DB9 front brakes, Audi S3 rears, Polar FIS, Hertz Audio
xjay1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2018, 10:39   #335
Macradiators.com
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2.0 CR 360hp

Totally agree with Rubem on this.
We are making it now so we can have better acces to the nuts. Stops crew is difficult to acces, a PITA.
I havent any issues with gas leak with mine. At least that was done well by the bulgarian.

I wanted to go with bmw vband version but its just too big to fit there. Maybe cut vklr housing and put vband on it would be a good option.
Old February 22nd, 2018, 23:15   #336
adamss24
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 35-45mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanp View Post
Dont forget the manifold broke WITH the bracket against my advice
Hi Ryan, I am not dissing your product but I am just talking my experiences. The manifold broke first before making the bracket. Vlad asked me to weld it for him but in the end we decided to send it back to you for warranty purposes. To be fair, it held fine since then but he has 2 more daily cars and after having another baby, he did not drive it much ! The moral of the story is pretty welds donít usually last...I too built a few manifolds and when you factor in high EGT and diesel vibration the weakest link itís showing itís ugly face- usually cracks by the flange and runners. This can be influenced by materials used (I had a mixture of bends some Chinese and some Taiwanese ) and filler choice- 306,309 or 316 rods..
adamss24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2018, 23:23   #337
adamss24
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 35-45mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macradiators.com View Post
Totally agree with Rubem on this.
We are making it now so we can have better acces to the nuts. Stops crew is difficult to acces, a PITA.
I havent any issues with gas leak with mine. At least that was done well by the bulgarian.

I wanted to go with bmw vband version but its just too big to fit there. Maybe cut vklr housing and put vband on it would be a good option.
Cheap V bands are a pain in the ass to seal properly, I had stainless steel flanges cut on a Cnc mill and they held fine however I prefer using high quality bolts and copper nuts- they stand better the test of time ! As the thread starts to steer of its course I suggest we go back to discussing improvements that work !
adamss24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2018, 12:12   #338
Macradiators.com
Veteran Member

Took advantage of a nice day to make some upgrades:
-custom valve springs
-turbo-ic piping
-upgraded the bolts that hold injectors
Tomorrow i see if i can make an adapter for the mocal sandwich plate since they sent me the wrong adapter.

Anybody know which is the good adapter? see below

Last edited by Macradiators.com; March 11th, 2018 at 12:49.
Macradiators.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2018, 13:05   #339
Yucca
Veteran Member

You can use that adapter if you grind it little and put it upside down.
Yucca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2018, 15:10   #340
Macradiators.com
Veteran Member

Yes i solved it my way. This is the position the sandwich plate on the engine, heat exchanger sits below the plate.
Hex part was too tall and the sandwich plate did not seat on the rubber seal.

I'm gonna make a radiator to seat central above the IC

Last edited by Macradiators.com; March 14th, 2018 at 15:18.
Old March 14th, 2018, 21:17   #341
[486]
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 02 golf ALH
Fuel Economy: 42 stock, 47-49 now

Why external, still running into heat issues even with the big oil/water exchanger?
B6/B7 has a big plate heat exchanger for the trans cooler, mounted for easy access in the junkyard, maybe use one of those for your oil.
[486] is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2018, 00:45   #342
Macradiators.com
Veteran Member

Jamie is saying it gets quite hot, i haven't logged oil temperature to be honest.
I will do a test.
Old March 15th, 2018, 10:29   #343
Syncrogreg

Where did you get that sandwich cooler adaptor? I have one that is getting bad seals i could buy a second one for my spare race engine ;-)

Thx

Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macradiators.com View Post
Yes i solved it my way. This is the position the sandwich plate on the engine, heat exchanger sits below the plate.
Hex part was too tall and the sandwich plate did not seat on the rubber seal.

I'm gonna make a radiator to seat central above the IC
Syncrogreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2018, 11:01   #344
Macradiators.com
Veteran Member

Part is Otsp1 on ebay.co.uk or from merlin motorsport in uk.

Since i dont have the manifold to put turbo i did a test with the lightest wheels i could find 6.3kg/piece Oz Alleggerita

Not happy. Brake upgrade to the RS3 calipers with 340mm discs next.

Last edited by Macradiators.com; March 15th, 2018 at 12:50.
Old March 15th, 2018, 13:01   #345
TheoSweden
Veteran Member

TDI(s): A3Q,A4Q

Very nice wheels. How much did you have to pay for them? 17"? width?
http://65.110.12.166/showthread.php?t=378371
TheoSweden is offline   Reply With Quote