www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Touareg TDIs

VW Touareg TDIs This is a general discussion about Touareg TDIs. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old February 11th, 2018, 08:36   #31
spicy_red
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel4Mark View Post
Make sure you also factor in the settlement money, if it hasn't already been claimed.
Hi there. With regards to the settlement money: would the dealer have received it and factored it in to the "sale" price, or would the purchaser be eligible to receive this money? Thanks!

spicy_red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2018, 03:58   #32
Diesel4Mark

You can check a specific VIN at https://www.vwcourtsettlement.com/en/3-0-models/.

You may be eligible for relief if:
You currently hold title to Generation One Eligible Vehicle in the United States or its territories or hold it by bill of sale dated before June 1, 2019; you currently hold title to a Generation Two Eligible Vehicle in the United States or its territories or hold it by bill of sale dated before December 31, 2019

Last edited by Diesel4Mark; February 12th, 2018 at 04:05.
Diesel4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2018, 08:51   #33
Alec

So,

I just bought a "new" white with beige interior 2016 TDI Lux. Paid just under $45k to the dealer (price & dealer fees, excluding tax & registration). MSRP was just under $59k, however, the car had 10,100 miles on it, and I had to travel 6 hours to SC.

I was planning to keep my 2010 Touareg, but when I saw the '16's being released for sale and looked at the buy-back amount on an 8 year old car (pretty beat on, but with fewer than 60k miles) . . . I got sucked in.

I wanted a light color (though that blue is really beautiful) and light interior, which seemed a little harder to find in this region. I did look at another TDI Lux, white with black interior and 5k miles, which the dealer eventually offered to sell for $47k, FWIW.

About the new car:

I re-set the transmission learning (ignition on, engine not running, accelerator to the floor for 15 seconds then release, ignition off) and that seems (after a few trips) to have fixed what would have been unacceptable shifting at lower speeds.

I'm not thrilled with the AdaptiveCruiseControl.

I also am still a little confused about the warranty on this vehicle . . . The dealer who sold it to me told me it has 4 year 48k bumper to bumper, and made a note to that effect. However, I think they were confusing the minimum emissions extension with bumper to bumper. Is there a VW site where one can enter a VIN and get full Warranty information?

Overall, though, I'm pretty happy with the decision. The Touareg TDI is kind of in a class of its own, and it doesn't look like there will be much chance to buy a new one in the US again.

Alec
Alec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2018, 12:23   #34
path23dv
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2009 Jetta

I'm considering a 2016 Touareg TDI or 2017 VR6. Is maintenance included for first 3 years?

Thanks
Old February 23rd, 2018, 14:08   #35
NewLyme
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 45.5 mpg City/Hwy Lifetime

Not on the Touareg. I was told that it was discontinued a few years ago.
NewLyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2018, 15:37   #36
Savageman69
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by path23dv View Post
I'm considering a 2016 Touareg TDI or 2017 VR6. Is maintenance included for first 3 years?

Thanks
Aside from fuel filter on the tdi there are no maintenance difference between the 2.....if you want the vr6..dont drive the tdi there is no comparison
2012 Highline Touareg v6 TDI - 8spd - Silver - Weathertechs - Buzzken Downpipe/Dpf/Scr Pipes - Hybrid 2260 - 4 Bar Map - JR Auto Performance/Buzzken Stage 3 Tune - 31 BFG k02s - Cayenne Trans Coding - Gutted/Painted Muffler - Full Led Swap - EGR Cooler Delete
Savageman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2018, 13:38   #37
regulator26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec View Post
So,

I just bought a "new" white with beige interior 2016 TDI Lux. Paid just under $45k to the dealer (price & dealer fees, excluding tax & registration). MSRP was just under $59k, however, the car had 10,100 miles on it, and I had to travel 6 hours to SC.

I was planning to keep my 2010 Touareg, but when I saw the '16's being released for sale and looked at the buy-back amount on an 8 year old car (pretty beat on, but with fewer than 60k miles) . . . I got sucked in.

I wanted a light color (though that blue is really beautiful) and light interior, which seemed a little harder to find in this region. I did look at another TDI Lux, white with black interior and 5k miles, which the dealer eventually offered to sell for $47k, FWIW.

About the new car:

I re-set the transmission learning (ignition on, engine not running, accelerator to the floor for 15 seconds then release, ignition off) and that seems (after a few trips) to have fixed what would have been unacceptable shifting at lower speeds.

I'm not thrilled with the AdaptiveCruiseControl.

I also am still a little confused about the warranty on this vehicle . . . The dealer who sold it to me told me it has 4 year 48k bumper to bumper, and made a note to that effect. However, I think they were confusing the minimum emissions extension with bumper to bumper. Is there a VW site where one can enter a VIN and get full Warranty information?

Overall, though, I'm pretty happy with the decision. The Touareg TDI is kind of in a class of its own, and it doesn't look like there will be much chance to buy a new one in the US again.

Alec
Pickup up a new 2016 Lux w/Driver Assistance had 75 miles on it White/Beige for my wife. Sticker $59,005 and purchase price was $44,754 before tax and tags. Partner program brought it down to $44,254. I calculate the discount off at 25%. Had to travel from NY to PA to get.
regulator26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2018, 10:10   #38
showdown 42
Veteran Member

I own a 2012 TREG TDI and will turn it in at the last time possible and will try to buy a used 2016. Here in FL people aren't braking the doors down to buy them. Like to get a low mileage Florida car.

I can't find anything I like besides the TREG.
showdown 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2018, 13:10   #39
jhuber

How is VW releasing the bought back and repaired Touareg TDIs to market? Is it just VW dealers that will get them? Is VW selling them at auctions as well?
jhuber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2018, 14:11   #40
KITEWAGON
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhuber View Post
How is VW releasing the bought back and repaired Touareg TDIs to market? Is it just VW dealers that will get them? Is VW selling them at auctions as well?
They aren't. There is no fix for the Gen 2 Touaregs. They're getting crushed. Its interesting that the 2.0 TDI's had a choice, while the 3.0 TDI's only got a buyback for Gen 2 and only got a fix for Gen 3.

Last edited by KITEWAGON; May 17th, 2018 at 06:38. Reason: fixed a typo! Gen 3 to Gen 2
KITEWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2018, 07:25   #41
jhuber

Quote:
Originally Posted by KITEWAGON View Post
They aren't. There is no fix for the Gen 3 Touaregs. They're getting crushed. Its interesting that the 2.0 TDI's had a choice, while the 3.0 TDI's only got a buyback for Gen 2 and only got a fix for Gen 3.
So then, where are these "lower" mileage 2015 and 2016 Touareg TDIs coming from that are showing up on ebay and dealer lots? A few months ago, there weren't any.
jhuber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2018, 08:27   #42
Flyboy777

Fuel Economy: 5.1 Litres/100 Km combined winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by showdown 42 View Post
I own a 2012 TREG TDI and will turn it in at the last time possible and will try to buy a used 2016. Here in FL people aren't braking the doors down to buy them. Like to get a low mileage Florida car.
I can't find anything I like besides the TREG.
How many miles do you have on it. I am going to be buying a used 2015 because it is a compact efficient tow package. Id be hard pressed to find another relatively compact heavy hauler that can get great fuel economy and is not a massive pickup truck and is still nice to drive.
I am particularly concerned about issues surrounding the camshaft drive chains and these DPF equipped vehicles frying their oil during regens in stop and go traffic. I have NO Issues with my 2 litre Passat tdi but I drive 150 miles at a shot all highway driving. the 3 litre is a much more complex and expensive engine. So have some concerns surrounding driving a Touareg in short haul grocery shopping scenario. If you want an interesting read check out the issues on Mercedes BlueTec engines here : http://www.stephensservice.com/bluet...ssuesproblems/ as far as I can tell the vw engine is quite similar but then Im not a mechanic or an automotive engineer.
Flyboy777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2018, 09:59   #43
KITEWAGON
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhuber View Post
So then, where are these "lower" mileage 2015 and 2016 Touareg TDIs coming from that are showing up on ebay and dealer lots? A few months ago, there weren't any.
They are stop sale vehicles that have been sitting on dealer lots waiting for the fix. There was no buyback on 13-16 TDIs. Only 2012 and earlier and those ones will not be fixed and resold.
KITEWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2018, 21:04   #44
gta_driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by KITEWAGON View Post
They aren't. There is no fix for the Gen 3 Touaregs. They're getting crushed. Its interesting that the 2.0 TDI's had a choice, while the 3.0 TDI's only got a buyback for Gen 2 and only got a fix for Gen 3.
What? Gen 3 Tourags are not getting crushed - they're getting sold to consumers.

Maybe a typo?
gta_driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2018, 21:06   #45
gta_driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by path23dv View Post

Thanks
If you haven' bought a VR6 yet, go find yourself a TDI. Not only do you save on gas (about 20% less), you also get much better pickup, and acceleration.

Drive them both, and then decide.

There should be no reason to get a VR6 - it is underpowered for a 5,000 lbs vehicle.

Of course, no offense to anyone with VR6.
gta_driver is offline   Reply With Quote