www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+)

VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+) Discussion area for the 2012+ Passat TDI (North American and rest of world versions versions). The North American model was previously codenamed NMS (New Midsize Sedan) and the version the rest of the world gets is sometimes referred to as B7.

Old February 13th, 2018, 05:46   #1021
TDI Owner/Operator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadawson View Post
If cost is your only metric, true . . . . Some of us don't judge technology just on cost. To me, the integration on the RNS into the car makes me leave my Garmin in the other car every time . . . .
You don't know the whole story in regards to why I choose to use a standalone GPS in conjunction with the built in RNS that my SEL has. Cost is not the story here - if I were that cheap then why would I even shell out $77 for a GPS when the RNS comes with GPS built in? This is where your logic is flawed. The only reason numbers came up was to illustrate my one time $77 purchase of a standalone which includes free lifetime map upgrades compared to the $125 VW charges for EACH map update of the RNS. So how many times have YOU updated your RNS? I'm assuming you don't automatically spring for each new $125 upgrade as they are issued, correct? Or if you do, then more power to you since it is your money as I'm not suggesting how you should spend it.

I like having GPS information visible at all times - this is my main reason for having the standalone GPS. You see, I have an hearing impairment but despite that I am able to listen to/enjoy music. With the RNS displaying GPS data the music information is not visible and I like having the visual confirmation since I can't "just hear it" as it were. Doing so also means I don't have to keep switching between the displays. It is easier to run both and have the desired data visible instead of needing to keep messing with switching the RNS display which also reduces the potential for distracted driving - especially in unfamiliar/congested territory. Thanks to my hearing using audible GPS directions is NOT an option for me - I need to SEE the instructions so please don't tell me to "just listen to the voice" for navigation help.

As you can see I have very good reasons for doing things the way I do. Hopefully now you have a full understanding of my reasoning here as I am doing the best I can given my hearing limitations - I'm simply working with what I have and doing so in a manner that optimizes my use of things and funds.
251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2018, 07:52   #1022
Jetta_Pilot
Veteran Member

Location: West Hill, Ont. Mexico mid October 2018 to end of April 2019

Quote:
If cost is your only metric, true . . . . Some of us don't judge technology just on cost. To me, the integration on the RNS into the car makes me leave my Garmin in the other car every time . . . .
Well I can lay out a very long route on my computer and then transfer it to my Garmin GPS in seconds.
First off it is now impossible to load any waypoints into the RNS since the German VW website where you could create a file on a SD card has ceased operation. Then I could load that into the RNS. Having done that it took me over one hour to use these waypoints to create a route in the RNS. That stupid system also every once in a while wants me to enter the country I am in when in reality I have never left the city I live in.
I have taken my stand alone Garmin to Europe and once there I just set the GPS near a window and within 10 minutes the Garmin GPS knew exactly where it is.

That $ 1,200.00 POS in the car apparently forgets where it is.
Old February 13th, 2018, 13:27   #1023
tadawson
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 251 View Post
You don't know the whole story in regards to why I choose to use a standalone GPS in conjunction with the built in RNS that my SEL has. Cost is not the story here - if I were that cheap then why would I even shell out $77 for a GPS when the RNS comes with GPS built in? This is where your logic is flawed. The only reason numbers came up was to illustrate my one time $77 purchase of a standalone which includes free lifetime map upgrades compared to the $125 VW charges for EACH map update of the RNS. So how many times have YOU updated your RNS? I'm assuming you don't automatically spring for each new $125 upgrade as they are issued, correct? Or if you do, then more power to you since it is your money as I'm not suggesting how you should spend it.

I like having GPS information visible at all times - this is my main reason for having the standalone GPS. You see, I have an hearing impairment but despite that I am able to listen to/enjoy music. With the RNS displaying GPS data the music information is not visible and I like having the visual confirmation since I can't "just hear it" as it were. Doing so also means I don't have to keep switching between the displays. It is easier to run both and have the desired data visible instead of needing to keep messing with switching the RNS display which also reduces the potential for distracted driving - especially in unfamiliar/congested territory. Thanks to my hearing using audible GPS directions is NOT an option for me - I need to SEE the instructions so please don't tell me to "just listen to the voice" for navigation help.

As you can see I have very good reasons for doing things the way I do. Hopefully now you have a full understanding of my reasoning here as I am doing the best I can given my hearing limitations - I'm simply working with what I have and doing so in a manner that optimizes my use of things and funds.
How many times have I updated? Four in one car, one in the other - both always carry current map data, since in Dallas, you are screwed otherwise. I have never seen the update go for more than $99, and buy it once, you can do multiple cars. The RNS putting full route guidance in the display in the dash, to me at least, is far less distracting to look at than a standalone, and is not related to the display on the main unit, so that dog won't hunt either . . . Radio display on head, route instructions in dash . . . Isn't that what you want? Do what you wish, but don't just blindly bash . . .
tadawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2018, 13:29   #1024
tadawson
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetta_Pilot View Post
Well I can lay out a very long route on my computer and then transfer it to my Garmin GPS in seconds.
First off it is now impossible to load any waypoints into the RNS since the German VW website where you could create a file on a SD card has ceased operation. Then I could load that into the RNS. Having done that it took me over one hour to use these waypoints to create a route in the RNS. That stupid system also every once in a while wants me to enter the country I am in when in reality I have never left the city I live in.
I have taken my stand alone Garmin to Europe and once there I just set the GPS near a window and within 10 minutes the Garmin GPS knew exactly where it is.

That $ 1,200.00 POS in the car apparently forgets where it is.
The only time mine has come up in an odd location is when it can't get a GPS signal, and then, yeah, it freelanced quite creatively. Can't say I've ever needed/wanted a route that defined other than start and end, so while that point is valid, I just don't take that kind of time defining routes . . .
Old February 13th, 2018, 14:49   #1025
Jetta_Pilot
Veteran Member

tadawson, for example, I want to go around Cincinnati, go around Louisville, go around Dallas etc. Even my stand alone Garmin will route me through town as will the RNS. To chose an endlocation in the RNS is extremely difficult, especially in another country. Not so in my stand alone Garmin.
The difference is that I can create waypoints to make the Garmin take me on my chosen route. There is no way to override the VW POS.
Fortunately I did NOT buy the RNS, rather it was already in the car when I bought it.
Old February 13th, 2018, 15:46   #1026
tadawson
Veteran Member

Hmm . . . when I travel cross country with my RNS, the route through cities is variable, based on traffic. Open roads, and it sends me through town. Congested, as I get the bypass . . . . (my Garmin does that as well, btw). Ultimately, I want the quickest transit time, so defer to the device and it's knowlege of traffic to choose, and they rarely get it wrong . . .

Never took the RNS out of country, but choosing destinations in the US seem trivial to me . . .

And the simple fact that you wish it worked differently hardly makes it a "POS". Just something that *you* don't care for.
Old February 14th, 2018, 09:00   #1027
TDI Owner/Operator

Quote:
How many times have I updated? Four in one car, one in the other - both always carry current map data, since in Dallas, you are screwed otherwise. I have never seen the update go for more than $99, and buy it once, you can do multiple cars. The RNS putting full route guidance in the display in the dash, to me at least, is far less distracting to look at than a standalone, and is not related to the display on the main unit, so that dog won't hunt either . . . Radio display on head, route instructions in dash . . . Isn't that what you want? Do what you wish, but don't just blindly bash . . .
Funny - coming from the person who started the bashing of those of us who choose to use a standalone GPS since your attitude of the built in RNS is superior to anything else is reeking through your posts.

First off, your RNS $99 update fee is still more than what a standalone GPS costs which has free updates for life. So if you do one update a year that's $99 spent every year as opposed to no cost for the standalone. I was not talking about if the VW update can do more than one car so you got the wrong interpretation there.

Standalone GPS is actually safer display wise over the head unit location in the dash (this is NOT an "RNS-only thing" as it applies to any head unit in the dash) because while driving I don't have to look down as much compared to a GPS on the dash or in windshield region. The MFA display simply can't show as much information as what a standalone or RNS screen does. Also, I use my MFA display to monitor important things like boost, EGR temperatures, etc. which are very important to the car's health.

OK, we understand a standalone distracts you to no end. If that's the case why haven't you installed a GPS equipped head unit in your other vehicle? Probably because it will cost you big bucks plus labor for install (unless you are a DIY'er in which case this is a moot point) and the cheap Garmin is good enough.
251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2018, 08:49   #1028
740GLE
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuafail View Post
Hi! New member here. Apologies in advance if this has been covered, I couldn’t find it when I searched.
Picked up a 2015 Passat SEL Premium a few weeks ago. Very pleased with it so far but there is one major annoyance I’m trying to solve and any help would be appreciated.

Sound quality from the Fender system is better than expected, except when playing music from my phone, namely Bluetooth streaming. Sound seems to “chop” off the highs and lows, almost like a TV does when you have it in “nighttime” mode. FM broadcasts do not have this issue, nor does playing a DVD. Line in, Bluetooth audio both do. It’s like the system is throttling the audio stream to protect the amp/speakers. No previous car I’ve driven has this issue, including streaming with the same phone.

I’ve accessed the hidden menu and “Loudness” is not an option to deselect. Tried messing with all audio setting, including speed sensitive volume. I’m running HW H27, SW 5382. Maps are old at 8112. Phone used is iPhone 8+.

Is there something I’m missing? Or is this life with the RNS510? I can live with it if absolutely necessary but it’s very frustrating knowing there’s more potential from the system I can’t touch.
Hey look someone with an actual question about the RNS (not debate technology hahah!!!)

I've heard if you deselect the speed dependent volume it helps, if you've tried that, i'd say it may be life as is. Is there a line in volume adjustment?

We only BT stream if the wife wants to listen to some youtube song, so we just live with the think and try not to throw a brick through the screen when using it as a nav unit.
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2018, 09:41   #1029
tadawson
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 251 View Post
Funny - coming from the person who started the bashing of those of us who choose to use a standalone GPS since your attitude of the built in RNS is superior to anything else is reeking through your posts.

First off, your RNS $99 update fee is still more than what a standalone GPS costs which has free updates for life. So if you do one update a year that's $99 spent every year as opposed to no cost for the standalone. I was not talking about if the VW update can do more than one car so you got the wrong interpretation there.

Standalone GPS is actually safer display wise over the head unit location in the dash (this is NOT an "RNS-only thing" as it applies to any head unit in the dash) because while driving I don't have to look down as much compared to a GPS on the dash or in windshield region. The MFA display simply can't show as much information as what a standalone or RNS screen does. Also, I use my MFA display to monitor important things like boost, EGR temperatures, etc. which are very important to the car's health.

OK, we understand a standalone distracts you to no end. If that's the case why haven't you installed a GPS equipped head unit in your other vehicle? Probably because it will cost you big bucks plus labor for install (unless you are a DIY'er in which case this is a moot point) and the cheap Garmin is good enough.
No labor cost to install in the other (there is very little I can't/won't do), just not much need. It rarely does trips I don't know the route on.

And I never claimed the RNS is 'superior', just good enough for me to have zero desire to go around it. Were there several choices that I could have in the car, I might well have chosen something else. But I see no need to spend anything to change. For me, the MFD display gives me all I need for Nav, and the head is typically displaying the radio - again, preferences differ. If I need to watch temps and such that close and constantly while driving, I bought the wrong car. Oh, and I mentioned the multi car upgrade issue simply because is makes the cost of nav data per car lower . . . not sure I'd pop the $$$ as easily if $99 per car, vs $49.50 . . . Ultimately, it's just a cost (and not a big one) so it does not concern me . . . and there are a lot of other things I could drop that I need less and that would save me mor.

At the end of the day, the RNS is a tool, just like a hammer, and it works. But, much like the hammer, some prefer straight claw, some curved, some textured face, some wood handle, some fiberglass. They all work - it's just a preference, and just because it is not any given individuals preferred device, does not make it a 'POS' . . . 'POS' implies high failure rate and/or failure to perform it's designed purpose (at least to me), and that has not been the case here . . . just preference.
Old February 16th, 2018, 04:37   #1030
740GLE
Veteran Member

Quote:

At the end of the day, the RNS is a tool, just like a hammer, and it works. But, much like the hammer, some prefer straight claw, some curved, some textured face, some wood handle, some fiberglass. They all work - it's just a preference, and just because it is not any given individuals preferred device, does not make it a 'POS' . . . 'POS' implies high failure rate and/or failure to perform it's designed purpose (at least to me), and that has not been the case here . . . just preference.

If we are comparing the RNS to a hammer its this kind of hammer, and yes, you can pound a nail with it (as well as club a baby seal).

740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2018, 09:26   #1031
tadawson
Veteran Member

And again, the bashing over nothing more than personal preference. I can find nothing I want to do that the RNS cannot do adequately . . . Your mileage may vary . . . I'm thinking more curved to straight claw myself . . . .

- TIm
Old February 17th, 2018, 06:04   #1032
ChrisB009

Default Rns

My 2013 VW Passat SEL TDi had the RNS nav system. It was the worst system I've ever had in a vehicle. I have several vehicles w/nav systems and have installed systems in the past. IMO VW's nav implementation, at least in my case, was an overpriced substandard paper weight. Here are some of the issues I had; the slowest nav system I had used to date, backup cam wouldn't come on when backing - only after driving forward (due to the speed of the system) unless the vehicle had been used recently and the nav system was not coming up from a full boot, blue tooth issues (would go into thermal run away within the blue tooth module itself causing loss of audio during calls), poor voice recognition (so poor VW disabled the feature), the outlandish cost of map update (no I didn't update the maps) and poor to nonexistent dealer support. Anytime I would bring an issue to the dealership involving anything they always denied they had ever heard of any issues and pretty much had the attitude VW's are perfect cars and never have issues. The nav was no exception. I had to tell the dealership tech (clown) where the blue tooth module was located. I have owned other VW diesels over the years and had a reasonable experience however this last experience has driven me away from VW and I seriously doubt I'd buy one again. YMMV
Old February 17th, 2018, 07:26   #1033
Jetta_Pilot
Veteran Member

Just once more. I have been using four different Garmin GPS's since 2002 and they are quite easy to work with. I can use my Garmin anywhere outside of my car! If I have the European maps installed I can use it over there. Same for OZ or NZ.

Now here comes the real "kicker" the POS in the VW's is based on the Garmin software. How did VW manage to screw up the Garmin system so completely.
Old February 17th, 2018, 08:59   #1034
tadawson
Veteran Member

I still have to wonder why different users see different behaviors . . . both our 2013 and 2015 are about 3 to 5 seconds or so to backup camera, no matter how long it has been sitting. Literally, I get in, belt, start, pull it into reverse and by the time the car has rolled 5 feet, I have the camera. I don't BT stream, but have never dropped a call, and yeah, input is slow, since it reads from disk, and tries to be somewhat 'predictive' . . . I turned voice back on, and while it recognizes me just fine, what you can do via voice is kinda odd and limited, and frankly, I prefer hard controls (but that's just me . . .) Map pricing is someehat high, but cheaper than a lot . . .

I have to wonder if it has to do with what mode you are in at startup? (Sat, radio, BT, whatever) since each has it's own set of processor requirements . . . I tend to be in FM mode most of the time, and don't see a lot of these issues . . . I have to wonder if it might be related, since when I leave it in SAT, startup does seem a lot slower.

All in all, it could be a lot faster . . . but, as noted prior, that does not cause it to not work . . . .

And if I was given appropriate $$$ and could pick any head, this likely would not be my choice. But I am also not even close to a point where I feel the urge to spend anything to change it either . . . I didn't buy the car for the NAV - it just happened to be there.

Last edited by tadawson; February 17th, 2018 at 10:19.
Old February 17th, 2018, 10:03   #1035
joshuafail

I leave in BT streaming. I’ll have to try FM mode to see if startup is quicker...
joshuafail is online now   Reply With Quote