www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal

Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal Discussion around the VW Dieselgate Emissions scandal. Details and news updates can be viewed here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=448336 This forum is a work in progress depending on requirements, usage, etc.

Old February 8th, 2018, 11:49   #16
two

Hey guys,

Thanks for the responses.
I am Canadian, I do miss Canada, I was born in Vancouver. I have been living in the Seattle area since 06 for work. I haven't moved back to Canada because of the insane real estate market which I predicted was going to crash in 2014 and still has not.

I totally forgot about the tax. That is a great point. Tax here is about 11%. so If I was to be able to buy it back from the local VW dealer for 15000, there is another 1500 in tax right there which does significantly cut into the potential profit margin.

I think What I am going to do is try this with Blue and see what happens and hold onto black until I can make a more informed decision on it.

Since the gen 1 and 2 can be bought at auction and resold by dealers, there is the potential for the TDI market to tank, also there is a show kicking around on Netflix called "dirty money" in which the first episode goes in depth about the TDI scandal. Lets just say that this show definitely paints an ugly picture of VW, N0x and diesels in genereal. WThis could also adversely effect values, in fact, I was pro fix up until I watched this because at the time I felt that N0x wasn't any worse that C0 or C02, which the show says is not true.

At any rate waiting as close as safely possible to the deadline will be the best option to see how the values are trending.

The main reason for not simply just fixing black is : the fix makes the car worse, the car is my favorite car I have owned but is not perfect and every day there are engineers like myself constantly usign computers to optimize EVERYTHING which means year over year there are better technologies and cars emerging.

thanks
Troy
two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2018, 12:29   #17
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

If you read posts here most say they have no adverse affects from the Gen 1 fix. Some have reported lower FE only to learn that FE improves as sensors reset and the car gets some miles on it with the new tune.

Don't count on the Netflix documentary affecting values. I doubt many people will watch it. I sell parts for these cars and I haven't watched it. The only thing I feel would have a significant impact on TDI values would be VW bringing in new TDIs again, which doesn't seem likely.

If you want to get some money out of VW and want to drive a TDI you're going to end up driving a fixed car, whether it's yours or another TDI. Perhaps you should drive a couple and see what you think. You can decide if it's worth forfeiting the money from the fix to keep your car as it was manufactured. Some people are doing that.
Old February 9th, 2018, 14:04   #18
Chaz13

I would just buy another one.
I sold back my 2014 SE for $28K and the found a 15 SEL with 26K miles for $17.5
Chaz13 is offline   Reply With Quote