www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > General Automotive

General Automotive General automotive discussion. This is intended to be a discussion about other not VW and Diesel cars you may have or interested in.

Old February 8th, 2018, 05:08   #4246
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdijarhead View Post
Yeah put me in that category. I even still have my motorcycle license from when I was a kid and didn’t care.

I have a friend in the medical field he says they call them donorcycles because they get so many parts so often from the riders. Gives new meaning to the concept of “parting out” .
Yep, in one of my teenage jobs I worked with a guy who was going to school to be an EMT, and on his very first "ridealong" in a fire/rescue truck, he found out the young kids on crotch rockets were called organ donors, and they had a "sniff test" they did when they arrived to pick up whatever was left of them. The sniff test was to determine if they were smokers or not, because good healthy young men who do not smoke have lots of good organs, but smokers got immediately passed by. He always said they should require an organ donor card be done whenever someone got a motorcycle license. Brain injury (even with a helmet) is what causes a lot of the deaths. But the organs are often still good.
Old February 8th, 2018, 05:12   #4247
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilhammer View Post
They just announced the HD factory here in Missouri is closing. Slow sales. Although really, motorcycle sales in general are suffering largely due to the older baby boomers getting even older and less able to ride and the younger folks simply not wanting the risks involved in riding. I include myself in the second category. I'd LOVE to ride, but I am scared ****less to do so. I have a wife and child at home, I cannot risk being disabled by some dumb broad on a cell phone piloting a Yukon into me.
I'm with you. Jason and I would be very interested in riding, but the the risks of doing so around here are too great. If we lived in a less populated area, we'd reconsider.
Old February 8th, 2018, 05:42   #4248
kjclow
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 max / 44 avg on beetle ~37 on JSW

same reasons I won't ride my bicycle to work. I'm only five miles but would be lucky to make it one trip without being run off the two lane roads that were outdated 20+ years ago when I moved here. My five mile commute can take almost an hour at the wrong time.
Old February 8th, 2018, 06:48   #4249
bhtooefr
TDIClub Enthusiast
ToofTek Inventor

TDI(s): None

That's a factor in why I don't end up cycle commuting myself - when I'm on the roads, I'm having to ride at maximum attack and still not comfortable. There's a bike trail that covers about half of my commute, although accessing it means I have to go half a mile the wrong way to get to it, and then I've found that cutting through a cement company's driveway and an oil pipeline terminal's driveway bypasses about a mile of having to share roads with cars.

(And then there's the whole, carry the trike outside, put the panniers and lights on, switch shoes when I get to work (because on a recumbent trike, you really need clipless), etc., etc.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug_Nut View Post
The really cool ToofTek made "Emperor's Clothes" injector fork risers only worked until someone pointed out that there wasn't any thing there.
bhtooefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2018, 07:22   #4250
Chris
Veteran Member

I actively motorcycled for 30 years (mainly BMW's) including rallies and daily commuting.
Moving to Michigan (from Baltimore suburbs) took much of the fun out of it but the tipping point came with the current level of texting and general carelessness on the road.
Sold the last motorcycle 4 1/2 years ago and life goes on.

The only thing I find scarier is bicycling, sharing the road (for the same reasons, but with a speed differential built in).
Old February 8th, 2018, 07:36   #4251
2015vwgolfdiesel
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: City mid 40s ~ Road mid 50s ~ Two (2) 61 MPG fill ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I actively motorcycled for 30 years (mainly BMW's) including rallies and daily commuting.
Moving to Michigan (from Baltimore suburbs) took much of the fun out of it but the tipping point came with the current level of texting and general carelessness on the road.
Sold the last motorcycle 4 1/2 years ago and life goes on.

The only thing I find scarier is bicycling, sharing the road (for the same reasons, but with a speed differential built in).

... during my MACH 3 ~~ 500 Kawasaki days speed was your friend.

... zero to 60 MPG in 3.9 seconds.

... best shot for speed was short "blind" entree ramps. Point at the traffic *hole* in front, and pull the trigger. .
NADA-KBB for older CPO Golf TDi 2014 = $18,250
2015vwgolfdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2018, 07:59   #4252
Chris
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2015vwgolfdiesel View Post
... during my MACH 3 ~~ 500 Kawasaki days speed was your friend.

... zero to 60 MPG in 3.9 seconds.

... best shot for speed was short "blind" entree ramps. Point at the traffic *hole* in front, and pull the trigger. .
My friend's strategy was to go fast enough that nothing would overtake you.
Safer when everything's scrolling in the same direction.
Old February 8th, 2018, 08:36   #4253
El Dobro
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2014 Volt
Fuel Economy: 115 MPGe

I would use a louder exhaust on my Hogs (not straight pipes) to be heard. I was nice enough at night to coast down the hill with the engine off so I wouldn't annoy the neighbors. I eventually gave up riding 'cause of drivers getting worse and friends going down. I shake my head when I see these kids on crotch rockets wearing sneakers, shorts, an open shirt and a full face lid. I guess they haven't experienced road rash yet.
Now, I drive more, worry less.
Penguin -The other white meat.
El Dobro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2018, 11:22   #4254
SilverGhost
Veteran Member

The wife has vetoed any motorcycle purchase for these very reasons.

But we are keep the Honda 90 (KO) because it's value has actually gone up since I got it. Also, oddly enough, everybody looks at me when I ride it. Plenty of thumbs up and waves. As long as it keeps getting that attention I'll ride it.

Jason
SilverGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2018, 17:15   #4255
turbovan+tdi
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeDubTDI View Post
I'm with you. Jason and I would be very interested in riding, but the the risks of doing so around here are too great. If we lived in a less populated area, we'd reconsider.
I stopped riding on the street in the late 2000's, drivers around here are so bad its clueless. We probably have the worst drivers in North America.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjclow View Post
same reasons I won't ride my bicycle to work. I'm only five miles but would be lucky to make it one trip without being run off the two lane roads that were outdated 20+ years ago when I moved here. My five mile commute can take almost an hour at the wrong time.
My son bikes to school and he tells me everyday how someone cuts the corner into his lane every day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
My friend's strategy was to go fast enough that nothing would overtake you.
Safer when everything's scrolling in the same direction.
That's a great strategy until someone turns in front of you. Happened to a dear friend, RIP.
2003 JSW 1.8T, silver-parting out. 2006 JSW, TDI 5 speed, blue.
turbovan+tdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2018, 02:55   #4256
bhtooefr
TDIClub Enthusiast
ToofTek Inventor

TDI(s): None

ICCT assesses impact of EV battery manufacturing life-cycle emissions debt; policy implications

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug_Nut View Post
The really cool ToofTek made "Emperor's Clothes" injector fork risers only worked until someone pointed out that there wasn't any thing there.
bhtooefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2018, 05:12   #4257
Chris
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbovan+tdi View Post
That's a great strategy until someone turns in front of you. Happened to a dear friend, RIP.
I fully agree.

The saying in my crowd was "there are no old, bold riders"
Old February 16th, 2018, 11:12   #4258
darrelld
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Fuelly
Default Comparison of Diesel vs EV Range when Charged with Diesel Generator

https://youtu.be/tw-hHggAYFM

The Australian Electric Vehicle Association and the Tesla Owners Club of Western Australia charged a Tesla Model S P85D, which is not even the most efficient Tesla vehicle, using a diesel generator.They set out on a road trip with the vehicle and a Volvo V40, which is equipped with a T5 2L diesel engine, in order to determine the efficiency using the exact same fuel.
Old February 16th, 2018, 11:59   #4259
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrelld View Post
https://youtu.be/tw-hHggAYFM

The Australian Electric Vehicle Association and the Tesla Owners Club of Western Australia charged a Tesla Model S P85D, which is not even the most efficient Tesla vehicle, using a diesel generator.They set out on a road trip with the vehicle and a Volvo V40, which is equipped with a T5 2L diesel engine, in order to determine the efficiency using the exact same fuel.
That's very interesting, especially considering the inefficiencies associated with charging the vehicle. Very nice comparison.
Old February 17th, 2018, 08:09   #4260
tadawson
Veteran Member

Doesn't seem like a very significaant difference, and certainly not enough for me to want to tolerate the range limitations and charging time wasted on the Tesla . . . . Time is worth something as well!
tadawson is offline   Reply With Quote