www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014)

VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014) Discussions area for A6/MkVI (2010-2014) Golf and Golf Wagons (Jetta Sportwagon in the USA).

Old January 25th, 2018, 18:29   #16
cliballe

TDI(s): 2010 Jetta
Fuel Economy: 40 mpg

I just wanted to follow up on the dealer timing belt service I had done. I ended up having them go back in to install the three idler pulleys/rollers that were not replaced the first go around for the cost of the parts only. They ended up replacing all the associated hardware with the rollers even though the bolt for the large roller is the only one that is TTY. I have attached the 2nd invoice for reference in case anyone might need it. Overall I am happy that I finally got everything done that I wanted as part of the service. Hopefully I'll make it to 240K with no TB related issues!

http://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/1127646

Last edited by cliballe; January 25th, 2018 at 18:39.
cliballe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2018, 22:06   #17
BrBa

One of my coworkers owns a 2006 Jetta TDI with 190k on the clock, bought it new. He recently did his first TB replacement when his serpentine belt failed. The guy had no clue about the timing belt interval. Talk about lucky.
Old February 1st, 2018, 18:28   #18
ihatespeed
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40mpg city 46 avg, 50 hwy 33 trailer

I just completed my second timing belt service in my driveway, first for my car, second for my buddy, skipped the motor mount nonsense and cracking open the fuel connections on his, plus with the extra set of hands pulling off covers and such pared the job from a first time leisurely 8 hour to about 4. All in all it was not bad, the my turbo diesel instructions are great, follow the tech tip to remove the stud for the tensioner pulley vs removing the motor mount and you will save a lot of greif, basic tools, a descent torque wrench and the specialty bits, triple square, crank lock, cam and pump pin and counterhold tool and you are in like flyn. I'm a touch handier than the average football bat, but its really not an insurmountable task for someone capable of changing their own tires.
Old February 1st, 2018, 23:50   #19
BleachedBora

And customers freak out at $320 for a complete kit with everything *sigh*

I had a guy call in to order a belt for his common rail. I explained how everything else needs replacing. He explained he worked at a dealer for 10 years and there is a reason why it’s a timing BELT service, and that he wasn’t going to take any of my “upselling.”

I sent him a belt, and wrote no warranty on the invoice....

I don’t know which part of the story was the most scary part...
BleachedBora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2018, 01:46   #20
Ol'Rattler
Veteran Member

Was he the Grease Monkey or the guy that puts swirls in the paint when doing the "complementary" car wash after the Grease Monkey botches the oil change?

On my pals 2 Slow gasser (ABA) I mentioned that he was way overdue on the timing belt. He said, no problem I'll get all the belts changed next week. Well about 30K miles later the T/B tensioner bearing sorta fell apart. People may tell you different, but a 2 Slow gasser is an interference engine.

Famous last words. "They said they changed everything that need to be replaced."
Draw-Tite hitch
Dash Tray
Blue tint aspherical mirrors
Euro Cupholder
Euro Light Switch
2nd grocery hook
VCDS Hacks: DRL Disabled-Seatbelt Chime Disabled-Key fob Power Windows
Adjusted Cam to Crank Timing

Last edited by Ol'Rattler; February 2nd, 2018 at 01:49.
Ol'Rattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2018, 04:49   #21
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

This is how I get so many TDI rescues (including my own Golf) over the years.... dealers not doing the job correctly or completely. Nothing new, been that way for decades now.

To be fair, lots of other folks mess them up too, but I hold the dealer to a higher standard. They SHOULD know better. But M&P jobs, reused and overtightened fasteners that should be replaced, not replacing items that often cannot make it to the second interval changeout, and just generally shoddy work, is inexcusable at an operation that carries the same brand logo on their roof as the front of your car.
Old February 8th, 2018, 16:48   #22
cliballe

TDI(s): 2010 Jetta
Fuel Economy: 40 mpg

Thanks for all the input everyone! It is very appreciated! I agree especially with the dealer SHOULD know better comment, but it's very disappointing that some (or maybe all) of them don't.

When I filled out the VW Survey after the rework I mentioned that I was still concerned that some of the hardware was not replaced from the original service, but overall I was happy with the everything especially since I was able to have the rollers installed. I also mentioned that the parts and service departments should work together and come up with a better list of the actual hardware that should be replaced during these types of services. I even offered them a list complete with pictures to assist with these particular TDI models. This is the response I got. They can kiss my @$$!!! LOL

"I am sorry you still feel as if your car was not fixed correctly. I know we went to great lengths to do our best to make you happy with your service. If you have any other issues please contact me so we can resolve them together.

Joshua Griffy (Service Manager)"
cliballe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2018, 09:34   #23
DSIre
Veteran Member

To the Service Manager......RTFM

Read The F'n Manaul
DSIre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2018, 23:50   #24
Ol'Rattler
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSIre View Post
To the Service Manager......RTFM

Read The F'n Manaul
Why would he do that? It's pretty much certain that the SM never heard a word the OP said, although the SM probably alerted sales so they can start sending you sales material. You will probably be bombarded with offers that there is a shortage of cars like yours on the used market and that they would like a chance to buy yours (stick it to you) and stick it to you again by getting you into a newer model.

Service and parts should communicate? They already do. My local parts department pretty much bragged that service never replaces torque to yield (TTY) bolts, they just reuse them. They looked at me like I was from Mars or something for ordering TTY bolts when I did my clutch.
Draw-Tite hitch
Dash Tray
Blue tint aspherical mirrors
Euro Cupholder
Euro Light Switch
2nd grocery hook
VCDS Hacks: DRL Disabled-Seatbelt Chime Disabled-Key fob Power Windows
Adjusted Cam to Crank Timing

Last edited by Ol'Rattler; February 11th, 2018 at 00:23.
Ol'Rattler is offline   Reply With Quote