www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Alternative Diesel Fuels (Biodiesel, WVO, SVO, BTL, GTL etc)

Alternative Diesel Fuels (Biodiesel, WVO, SVO, BTL, GTL etc) Discussions about alternative fuels for use in our TDI's. This includes biodiesel WVO (Waste Vegetable Oil), SVO (Straight Vegetable Oil), BTL (Biomass to Liquid), GTL (Gas to Liquids) etc. Please note the Fuel Disclaimer.

Old February 7th, 2018, 17:12   #1
Beej

Question Best fuel or additive to prevent DPF from clogging?

Hello,

We bought a 2015 Golf Sportwagen with 5000 miles on it. My wife puts mostly city miles on it. After having the car for about two weeks, the fan was always running after the engine was turned off, and within a few days the DPF warning light came on.

We dumped in a bottle of Lucas Oil Diesel Deep Clean for DPF's and it worked. The warning light went off and the fan stopped running after the engine was turned off.

We researched DPF's and bought EnerBurn additive to help prevent this situation from happening in the future. We went to fuel up, to add EnerBurn for the first time, and stumbled across Propel Diesel HPR.

It looks like Propel does roughly what EnerBurn claims to do. It appears we should fill up with Propel whenever we can, and only use an additive when we fill up with regular petroleum diesel.

Does anyone have experience with lots of city driving and/or what the best practices are for keeping the DPF clean and not needing service for the longest period of time?

Thank you
Beej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2018, 19:07   #2
atc98002
Veteran Member

Your issue is short city miles. That doesn't give the DPF a chance to burn off the residue as it's supposed to. Simply driving at freeway speeds occasionally would accomplish the same, mostly. My DPF light never came on with my Passat, which had 24,000 mile when I sold it back to VW, or in my Jetta, which had 100,000 miles when it went back. That said, I believe that Propel HPR burns cleaner than standard diesel, so that will also help. But short city driving is going to load the DPF faster no matter what fuel you burn.
2010 Routan gone, replaced with 2018 Pacifica Hybrid: other daughter has 3 kids
atc98002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2018, 19:58   #3
tikal
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 37 MPG (~ 45% city)

These cars need to be 'exercised' from time to time as stated above. If you have a manual look up how to do the "Italian tune-up" (once the engine is properly warmed up). I presume with an automatic it can be done also.

Then there is this product from LiquiMoly:

https://products.liqui-moly.com/pro-...cleaner-4.html

I do not have any experience with it as my TDI does not have a DPF but it is something you might want to research. It does not go into the tank but rather you have to apply it somehow on the DPF itself. YMMV.
tikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2018, 20:01   #4
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Loading the dpf isn't your problem most likely. Not letting the regens happen/complete is. Usually due to short trips. Read this thread as this has already been discussed.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=485987

You need to take an active role in dpf regeneration if you are short tripping the car. Additives won't help much if at all. Good luck!
Old February 8th, 2018, 14:19   #5
Jetta_Pilot
Veteran Member

Location: West Hill, Ont. Mexico mid October 2018 to end of April 2019

I've been using a Scangauge II since 2005 on my Jetta. Now on my Passat I've added a few extra custom gauges to the SG II which let me monitor things like the exhaust temp. If I see it at 1200+ degreesF I leave the engine running until the temp has come down to around 300 degF before I shut it off! This may take up to five minutes.

BTW, I use PowerService Silver all year round since I am never in freezing weather. I consider 50F too cold already.
All LED interior bulbs. Several VCDS mods. Darker window tint. EVO skid-plate. Malone Stage 2, Malone DSG tune. Winpower Projector headlights. Angel eyes. LED DRL's. 24mm H&R rear sway bar. Phase 1 & Phase 2 done.

Last edited by Jetta_Pilot; February 8th, 2018 at 14:21.
Jetta_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2018, 20:27   #6
Beej

Thank you guys for the input.

The EnerBurn rep also admitted that we'd still have to regularly get on the freeway. Additives only do so much. We'd like to be able to go up to two weeks without getting on the freeway, but we'll have to see how it goes.

I like the look of the LiquiMoly products. I have them noted as possible backups or support.

PowerService is new to me. I've made a note of it. Jetta_Pilot, how much does it play into your 50+ mpg?

I'm realizing that a diagnostic scan tool may be good support. I'm looking into that now.

We love this car and want to find a way to keep it!
Beej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2018, 21:06   #7
MichaelB
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: very good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beej View Post

The EnerBurn rep also admitted that we'd still have to regularly get on the freeway. Additives only do so much. We'd like to be able to go up to two weeks without getting on the freeway, but we'll have to see how it goes.
Why are you so opposed to taking the car for a 60mph run more often than once every two weeks

PowerService is new to me. Power service has been around for a long time.
No additive, not PS or Liquimoly or any other will do what driving your car and having it go into regen will do..
My 2 cents take it or leave it.

Last edited by MichaelB; February 8th, 2018 at 21:29.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2018, 09:03   #8
Jetta_Pilot
Veteran Member

Location: West Hill, Ont. Mexico mid October 2018 to end of April 2019

Quote:
PowerService is new to me. I've made a note of it. Jetta_Pilot, how much does it play into your 50+ mpg?
I'm realizing that a diagnostic scan tool may be good support.
My Mpg are using imperial gallons for calculations. Deduct 20% for US gallon equivalent.
There are NO Magic chemicals to improve mileage, but some people will swear they will.
It's personal driving habits that make a big difference.
As has been mentioned by others, you need to get away from constant city driving.
Failing that you'll need to run at the fastest speeds possible but keep the car in a much lower gear for maybe 10 minutes. That would do more than adding any chemical.
As for a scan tool, right now save your money until you are far more and better acquainted with a TDI! The info doesn't just jump out at you, you need to know where and how to look.
All LED interior bulbs. Several VCDS mods. Darker window tint. EVO skid-plate. Malone Stage 2, Malone DSG tune. Winpower Projector headlights. Angel eyes. LED DRL's. 24mm H&R rear sway bar. Phase 1 & Phase 2 done.

Last edited by Jetta_Pilot; February 9th, 2018 at 09:30.
Jetta_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2018, 10:31   #9
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Vag DPF is pretty much plug-and-play. You may need to do a little reading in the thread that I linked to before but that's it.
Old February 15th, 2018, 22:29   #10
tikal
Veteran Member

I am always curious what they use in Europe as they have so many more customers with DPF than here:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Archoil-AR6.../dp/B00KQ1ALKC

Interesting how this product is so popular in the UK, yet it is from a US company called Archoil:

http://archoil.eu/wp-content/uploads...Tech-Sheet.pdf

When I searched some of the European diesel forums, what is repeated often is that these products such as the Archoil AR6400-D need to be used in conjunction with driving a properly warmed up car at a lower gear (third or fourth) for around 60 Km with the RPM between 3,000 and 4,000 to generate enough heat for the additive to work as efficiently as possible cleaning the DPF, turbo, EGR, etc.
Old February 16th, 2018, 07:34   #11
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

The comments there weren't all that awe inspiring. Most couldn't read the instructions on the bottle it seems according to the questions (How to use). Only 12 of the 214 reviews were for dpf related issues. I also didn't like this note: "Toxic to aquatic life with long lasting effects". Might be why they won't sell into the US.
Old February 16th, 2018, 08:11   #12
kjclow
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 max / 44 avg on beetle ~37 on JSW

Quote:

I like the look of the LiquiMoly products. I have them noted as possible backups or support.

I'm realizing that a diagnostic scan tool may be good support. I'm looking into that now.

We love this car and want to find a way to keep it!
Since you're in Oakland, I can see why you try to avoid the freeways. You might move faster on the surface streets. As mentioned, there are no magic additives. You'll get better mileage and longer life out of the engine if you can get it out and wind it up. You don't have to go far, maybe 30 miles. Keep it in a lower gear for higher rpms and drive it like you're a teenager.

With my wife driving the JSW now, I've seen about a 5 mpg drop. Although she drives about three times the distance I did, she drives in heavier traffic with more lights. Most of my commute, which is about 7 miles, averaged 50 mph with two stop lights.
Old February 16th, 2018, 09:44   #13
tikal
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightflyer1 View Post
The comments there weren't all that awe inspiring. Most couldn't read the instructions on the bottle it seems according to the questions (How to use). Only 12 of the 214 reviews were for dpf related issues. I also didn't like this note: "Toxic to aquatic life with long lasting effects". Might be why they won't sell into the US.
Thanks for your feedback. Interesting enough a similar product in the US without the 'Max' has only six reviews:

https://www.amazon.com/Archoil-AR640.../dp/B072BWR7J3

While the one in the UK has over 200!
Old February 16th, 2018, 10:53   #14
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Well I am not that impressed with any "fix in a bottle" additives I have seen or tried. I tried a few back a few years ago when lubricity became an "issue" and had no noticeable effect from any of them. I put diesel in the tank and drive it. I monitor regens so that they occur when needed and I don't interrupt them if I can help it. Never had an issue.
Old February 16th, 2018, 20:31   #15
kjclow
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 max / 44 avg on beetle ~37 on JSW

Only time Ive used an additive with my JSW is when heading north in the winter. Since we rarely see temps in the single digits in NC, I want to make sure I can make it back home. This Christmas was brutal in northern Indiana.