www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old February 6th, 2018, 15:35   #16
fouillard13
Veteran Member

ive done the big 3 already.

my clutch oil has to get changed, guaranteed.
Old February 6th, 2018, 16:05   #17
Cptcrnch
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fouillard13 View Post
the lower EGR pipe has been fully blocked off.

plus, if that tube was broke, which mind had been, wouldnt you lost all boost/turbo, like mine did when it broke?
Whoops. It's been a long day at work lol. Mine was only cracked. Enough where it would leak some exhaust smell but not where I was losing power. I only detected it by the high pitched whistle sound that it made.
Old February 6th, 2018, 19:15   #18
maxmoo
Veteran Member

I find that the most common places for these exhausts to start leaking are:
1) downpipe breaks right behind the cat
2) the flex joint on the downpipe
3) one of the hanger welds rusts through the pipe and breaks off leaving a hole.
maxmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2018, 19:25   #19
PB_NB
Veteran Member

Mine has an EGR delete and a race pipe. The smell I get is coming out the tail pipe.

Probably needs a few adjustments to clean up the smell of the exhaust. Maybe the last batch of diesel I got isn't that great.

If I leave the fan off, I don't notice it in the car but the exhaust travels around the neighbourhood.
1999 New Beetle TDI - Bosio 1019's, Malone S4, Skid Plate, Neuspeed Sway Bars, KW V2, 19's BBS-CH, Spyder LED's, EGR Delete, VF Mounts, South Bend Clutch, B&M Shift Kit, VNT17, Custom Side Mount Intercooler, HPA Big Brakes 355mm Ft/335mm Rr, 2.5" Custom SS Straight Through Exhaust, Colt Stage 2 Cam, 3 Bar Map.
PB_NB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2018, 21:43   #20
Fahrvegnugen
Veteran Member

The exhaust will always have a strong odor. I had missing body plugs in spare wheel. Replaced them and that really helped. Also helps to scrape windows in the fresh subzero air, and start it after! wait for the 5 second shutter to smooth out, then drive it. Within 5 minutes of driving it blows warm air. The interstate Amg battery has been working great.
Fahrvegnugen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2018, 11:56   #21
UhOh
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilhammer View Post
Interstate seems to have suffered in longevity in the last few years, and their prices just kept going up. So we switched our batteries around a bit. Most VAG products get OEM or the AC-Delco branded whatever-it-is (they just put their sticker on them).
Sigh, just picked up a new battery from VW: blue Golf's battery was crapping out- 84 month battery and it's now 96 months old; put it in the wife's car and put her battery in the blue Golf. Parts guy said they're Interstates.

fouillard13, make sure your injectors aren't leaking. My car has had a couple of injectors loosen up (noisier AND smelly).
UhOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2018, 05:21   #22
JB05
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 43/41/40

I'll sometimes let my Golf idle for a few minutes mostly for the sake of the ATF. 4 to 5 upshift is smoother when I do. I'll also let it idle while clearing snow or frost for a couple of minutes.
JB05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2018, 05:35   #23
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by UhOh View Post
Sigh, just picked up a new battery from VW: blue Golf's battery was crapping out- 84 month battery and it's now 96 months old; put it in the wife's car and put her battery in the blue Golf. Parts guy said they're Interstates.

fouillard13, make sure your injectors aren't leaking. My car has had a couple of injectors loosen up (noisier AND smelly).

No they aren't. Not really. Interstate is JCI's retail brand. JCI also makes or carries other brands, like Varta and Enertec and even some Energizer stuff. They are likely dropped off at the dealer by an Interstate truck, just the same as at Toyota and MB dealers (and others). JCI is the largest distributor of batteries in the US.
Old February 8th, 2018, 09:49   #24
UhOh
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilhammer View Post
No they aren't. Not really. Interstate is JCI's retail brand. JCI also makes or carries other brands, like Varta and Enertec and even some Energizer stuff. They are likely dropped off at the dealer by an Interstate truck, just the same as at Toyota and MB dealers (and others). JCI is the largest distributor of batteries in the US.
Thanks, Brian.
Old February 8th, 2018, 23:01   #25
crawdaddy
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmoo View Post
2) the flex joint on the downpipe
I had the same problem, when ever I was stopped at a light, with fan running, I would get a diesel exhaust fumes smell.
Less than $60CAN to DIY repair.
So check the down pipe, that's most likely place where it's leaking.

crawdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2018, 09:22   #26
UhOh
Veteran Member

^^^ Yeah, odds are that this is it. Mine was leaking (I got a new down pipe, though) AND at the same time I had one of my injectors loosen up; the added noise from the injector I'd thought to be a worsening of the down pipe leak. Moral of story: sometimes a problem can be due to multiple issues.