www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Fuels & Lubricants

Fuels & Lubricants Discussion all about Fuels & Lubricants. synthetic oil, conventional oil, brands, change intervals, diesel grades, gelling and such debated items like that. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed. This forum is NOT for the discussion of biodiesel and other alternative fuels.

Old January 11th, 2018, 11:37   #16
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

FXDL, you are taking the criticism of Mr. Rat's "research" too personally. If ZDDP was such an ineffective anti wear additive, I don't see why the professional tribologists working in the industry - with real credentials, testing equipment, etc. would include it in motor oil formulations. I doubt it's all a conspiracy to enrich the zinc barons of the world. The protective film that ZDDP forms, grows exponentially with temperature and pressure- it seems Mr. Rat's testing conditions were not sufficiently harsh to give the zddp a chance to form the protective film that it does in real world usage.

Even if he was right about zddp, you have to admit that his writing style is more sociopath than scientist.
turbobrick240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2018, 12:47   #17
Windex
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ʎɯouoɔƎ lǝnℲ

snip/

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbobrick240 View Post
his writing style is more sociopath than scientist.
/snip

This.

Proudly installing things where they're not supposed to go since 1996!
Windex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2018, 15:52   #18
MichaelB
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FXDL View Post
would, mite learn why he did and why. Now head back tobobtheoilguy as I believe he is using info from the 540 rat and posted on his site.
You believe......I don't see it..........show me

Last edited by MichaelB; January 11th, 2018 at 16:02.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2018, 20:44   #19
nicklockard
Torque Dorque

Fuel Economy: No data yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbobrick240 View Post
FXDL, you are taking the criticism of Mr. Rat's "research" too personally. If ZDDP was such an ineffective anti wear additive, I don't see why the professional tribologists working in the industry - with real credentials, testing equipment, etc. would include it in motor oil formulations. I doubt it's all a conspiracy to enrich the zinc barons of the world. The protective film that ZDDP forms, grows exponentially with temperature and pressure- it seems Mr. Rat's testing conditions were not sufficiently harsh to give the zddp a chance to form the protective film that it does in real world usage.
Even if he was right about zddp, you have to admit that his writing style is more sociopath than scientist.

It's interesting that you picked up on it too. My first post said "it reads like a serial killer wrote it." which I edited to what it says now, thinking it too harsh.

But dang that affect. So righteous!
nicklockard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2018, 21:41   #20
whitedog
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicklockard View Post
It's interesting that you picked up on it too. My first post said "it reads like a serial killer wrote it." which I edited to what it says now, thinking it too harsh.
But dang that affect. So righteous!
Dang,Nick. Now I WANT to read it.

Ok. Here I go down the rabbit hole... Wish me luck.
Old January 26th, 2018, 10:53   #21
FXDL
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 4.4 per 100KM's

He has done a lot of testing on different engine oils, some 200 or more, which has taken how much of his time to do, yet all the experts out here seem to think it is BS or what have you when in fact I don't see them posting or showing any testing they have done to prove him crazy, wrong, or what ever? Each their own, for opinions. I only put this read out for to learn from or not. There is for sure some useful info in his testing. Sure seems like a lot of people out here have negative input on it, but then again it seems always the same people no matter what someone posts. It was a learning too, so to maybe help one decide what oil to use or not in whatever have they. We sure have a lot of folks out here that tune in and pick apart, have a negative comment on pretty much everything out here. Well I did learn some things from his write up, he knows more then anyone else out here about engine oils.

Last edited by FXDL; January 26th, 2018 at 10:59.
FXDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2018, 11:59   #22
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

I don't know man, the knowledgeable guys at BITOG and many other car forums aren't particularly impressed by rat540 either. And there are people here, like Tooslick, who have probably forgotten more about lubricants than rat540 will ever know. Thanks for posting up the info though.
turbobrick240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2018, 12:05   #23
Dannyboy
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 2014- 1168km per tank

Mechanical Engineer = Fancy name for mechanic

U.S. Patent Holder (Mechanical device designed for Military Jet Aircraft)= invented a cup holder or coat hanger?

Member SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) = I'm a member too.actually it's been years since I have been on the site.Certain licensed mechanics can be.Not difficult

Member ASME (American Society of Mechanical Engineers) = amerIcan version of above

Lifelong Gear Head, Mechanic, Hotrodder, Drag Racer, and Engine Builder = most Tdi life members aren't?

Sorry but this guy is all mouth, I'll trust the oil analysis I do to tell me me the oil I put in is doing it's job. Simples
Dannyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2018, 14:02   #24
GoFaster
Moderator at Large

Just because you do a certain test on 200 different oils doesn't necessarily make that test relevant.
GoFaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2018, 16:02   #25
nicklockard
Torque Dorque

Fuel Economy: No data yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFaster View Post
Just because you do a certain test on 200 different oils doesn't necessarily make that test relevant.
If I taste tested 200 engine oils and posted my observations, would that be relevant?
nicklockard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2018, 16:02   #26
GoFaster
Moderator at Large

Yeccch!
GoFaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2018, 17:11   #27
MichaelB
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FXDL View Post
Real world oil testing, good, better and best oils to fight wear. Some 209 oils tested. Very good site with real world testing of the oils. Check this site out if one hasn't already. There is oils for gas and oils for diesel tested. I have had this site for some time and thought I would share. Like it or not the oil we might be using, may not be all that good at fighting wear in our TDI's or gassers, motorcycles etc.. Oil company's, big and small say a lot on the bottle of oil we buy, but is it really true or as good as the we are are lead to believe, in some yes and many no. Very good info as when one looking for the best protection from their oil choice. https://540ratblog.wordpress.com/201...-test-ranking/
FXDL you believe everything you read.......try this http://xtremerevolution.net/expostin...est-data-blog/

Quote:
Originally Posted by FXDL
What can I say. Now head back tobobtheoilguy as I believe he is using info from the 540 rat and posted on his site.

I did and this is what I found https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ub..._Rat_oil_tests

Last edited by MichaelB; January 26th, 2018 at 17:48.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2018, 22:44   #28
Ol'Rattler
Veteran Member

FXDL,

Make an appointment with your medical provider ASAP before your mental condition gets any worse. Once you get your Meds straightened out and are rational, we will be glad to debate any subject the forum allows.

I'm offering this from personal experience. Some of the poisons (Meds) that are prescribed to the public can have nasty side effects especially if the dosing is wrong or not followed.

Peace.....
Draw-Tite hitch
Dash Tray
Blue tint aspherical mirrors
Euro Cupholder
Euro Light Switch
2nd grocery hook
VCDS Hacks: DRL Disabled-Seatbelt Chime Disabled-Key fob Power Windows
Adjusted Cam to Crank Timing

Last edited by Ol'Rattler; January 27th, 2018 at 02:03. Reason: clarification
Ol'Rattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2018, 05:52   #29
FXDL
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 4.4 per 100KM's

First of all take your own meds and I can add a couple for you too. Second just because I posted for all to read and maybe learn from his testing doesn't mean I believe all he has claimed. Like the saying goes never believe what you hear and only half what you see. It was to learn from or not. One thing I have learn is the older I get the less I know and people around well I sometimes wonder.

Last edited by FXDL; February 6th, 2018 at 18:27.
FXDL is offline   Reply With Quote