www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Fuels & Lubricants

Fuels & Lubricants Discussion all about Fuels & Lubricants. synthetic oil, conventional oil, brands, change intervals, diesel grades, gelling and such debated items like that. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed. This forum is NOT for the discussion of biodiesel and other alternative fuels.

Old January 29th, 2018, 12:55   #9046
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

12 years, never had any experiences at the pump.
Old January 29th, 2018, 15:42   #9047
aja8888
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Out of TDI's
Fuel Economy: About as good as it gets!

I pulled into my local Valero station with my 2017 Jetta and filled it up. Went inside and got a Coke and some peanuts. The counter guy, who I know, asked if that was my new TDI. I said, no, it's my new TSI and it gets about 40 MPG on RUG. He was surprised I didn't by a new TDI, but I explained there are no more new ones.
aja8888 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2018, 16:22   #9048
Tom Servo
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ~39 mpg :(

Count me in as another one who hasn't had a diesel-related story in ages. Things happen, but they're not TDI-related. I don't think anyone's asked about my car or mileage or anything like that in 7-8 years now.

I did have a particularly frustrating experience at the gas station the other day that was only tangentially related to diesel, because one of the two diesel pumps at the station had a dead card reader, so I went through the whole "enter Plenti number, try to swipe card, fail, try again, fail again, put fuel cap back on, drive to the other pump, try again" hassle.
Old January 29th, 2018, 16:23   #9049
romad
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
I pulled into my local Valero station with my 2017 Jetta and filled it up. Went inside and got a Coke and some peanuts. The counter guy, who I know, asked if that was my new TDI. I said, no, it's my new TSI and it gets about 40 MPG on RUG. He was surprised I didn't by a new TDI, but I explained there are no more new ones.
So you took about a 20% mileage hit it looks like?

The fleet:
2005 Jetta Wagon "Cranberry" (bought July 2011)
2004 Toyota Prius (bought August 2004)
1990 Mazda Miata (bought July 1989)
romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2018, 17:32   #9050
aja8888
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Out of TDI's
Fuel Economy: About as good as it gets!

Quote:
Originally Posted by romad View Post
So you took about a 20% mileage hit it looks like?
Looks that way!

Plus, only driving about 10,000 miles a year now, and most of them in the 2013 Santa Fe (wife's car).
aja8888 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2018, 23:57   #9051
TwosDay

Back in 2016 when the Regular Unleaded pipeline into metro Atlanta, GA burst in Alabama there was sudden chaos. If unleaded could be found it was expensive.

As I came to a RaceTrak Station with all of it's unleaded nozzles bagged, I pulled up to the pump nearest the front door. All the pumps were double RUG/Diesel. I pulled up about 8-9 feet from the pump in my Passat TDI and went in and prepaid for $20 worth of diesel. I came out and stretched the hose to my car and started pumping slowly. Within 6-7 minutes there was a line of cars behind me extending out to the road patiently waiting. I hung the nozzle up, capped my tank and drove away.
TwosDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2018, 00:01   #9052
TwosDay

Just a picture from Love's in Emerson, GA

I was happy I was driving my Passat TDI!

Old February 5th, 2018, 00:04   #9053
FlyingFin
Veteran Member

TDI(s): A4 Avant AFN
Fuel Economy: 58.8 avg

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwosDay View Post
I came out and stretched the hose to my car and started pumping slowly. Within 6-7 minutes there was a line of cars behind me extending out to the road patiently waiting. I hung the nozzle up, capped my tank and drove away.

It took you 6 minutes to pump $20 of diesel??

What was the pump, Hamster powered??

A4 B5 1.9TDi Avant, Black, De badged, RS Grill, TQS Leather, RNS-E, FL Hid Conversions, Booooost gauge, Coilovers, Vented and Grooved 312mm discs, 235/40/18 Nokian Zlines on RS4 9 spokes... Strut Brace. AFN, BV43 Turbo, .280 nozzles, PD130 Manifold, EGR Delete, Custom 3 Bar Remap, FMIC. Relocated N75. PD150 Head Bolts, De Cat, Jetex SS Exhaust. Newman cam 11mm fuel pump. DMF and Sachs SRE Clutch... 195BHP 300Lb/Ft
FlyingFin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2018, 02:03   #9054
TwosDay

I was letting it drip into the tank slowly in order to maximize the time that I had hose stretched to the car. That was so I could build the line of cars behind me at the pump.

Ironically, there was a diesel pickup truck in the next lane over that didn't have a line form behind him.
Old February 5th, 2018, 06:21   #9055
PlaneCrazy
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Gone...

I pulled up to the diesel/gas combo pump in my GAS GSW on Saturday. I was hoping some TDI/PU Truck dude would yell "I'm pretty sure your car isn't a diesel", to which I would have replied "you're right it isn't", then I would have opened the tailgate, and pulled out my yellow 5-gal jerry can, and added "but my TRACTOR is diesel", and filled it up. If he had been polite, I would have moved the car to another pump to fill it as I wanted to fill it up as well, and if he'd been rude, I would have filled SLOWLY with gas at the combo pump

As it was, nobody turned up and as it was -21C out, all I managed to do was freeze my ass off...
'16 Marinoni Genius/Campy Record, '94 Marinoni Special/Campy Record
PlaneCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2018, 06:24   #9056
kjclow
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 max / 44 avg on beetle ~37 on JSW

And I chose not to put gas in the truck on Friday because it was 40F and starting to drizzle and I didn't have my coat. Man I've turned into southern wimp. My only saving grace is that I don't pull out the winter jacket, gloves, and hat when the temps approach 50F.
Old March 5th, 2018, 13:28   #9057
fredthe
Veteran Member

So yesterday I pull into the local Royal Farms to fill up. It's Noonish on Sunday, and there are lines at all the RUG pumps, however the diesel is between a pair of RUG pumps that were out of order (which I knew from being there the day before with the other TDI.) It was a great feeling to be able to pull around the lines and right up to the pump. No nasty/odd looks or anything, but I am hoping it takes them a long time to fix the pumps

fredthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2018, 15:35   #9058
El Dobro
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2014 Volt
Fuel Economy: 120 MPGe

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredthe View Post
So yesterday I pull into the local Royal Farms to fill up. It's Noonish on Sunday, and there are lines at all the RUG pumps, however the diesel is between a pair of RUG pumps that were out of order (which I knew from being there the day before with the other TDI.) It was a great feeling to be able to pull around the lines and right up to the pump. No nasty/odd looks or anything, but I am hoping it takes them a long time to fix the pumps
A lot of Royal Farms are putting up charging stations. Did you notice if the one you went to had them?
Now, I drive more, worry less.
Penguin -The other white meat.
El Dobro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2018, 08:12   #9059
fredthe
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Dobro View Post
A lot of Royal Farms are putting up charging stations. Did you notice if the one you went to had them?
Nope, no charging there as far as I can tell.

fredthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2018, 09:20   #9060
dremd
Veteran Member

Anybody have strong feelings about including tales from EV charge stations in this thread?
2014 JSW (Went back to VW) Emissions? Well, about that . . .
dremd is offline   Reply With Quote