www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old February 3rd, 2018, 08:02   #1
jasper1

Default 04 BEW hard start

I have an 04 Jetta with the BEW engine, 2580000 miles. I have just had the timing belt replaced, intake manifold cleaned out and an EGR delete done along with new glow plugs and turbo charger and all filters changed. I bought it four years ago with 120000 miles. When I bought it I changed the T belt and camshaft (cam not really needed but I did it anyway) After having all this recent work done all I can say is WOW! I don't ever remember it having this much snap. Only problem is it's become very hard to start when cold. It sits in a heated garage overnight and will start right up in the morning. After sitting all day in below freezing temps however its a bear to get started again, sometimes 2 or 3 cycles of the glow plugs and then lots of black smoke for a minute or two. After that it's OK. Battery is less than a month old, only other variable is a change in where we buy fuel, but it gets 5 oz's of Howes fuel treatment at every fill up. Before I start chasing ghosts can someone tell me please tell me:
1) should I be able to hear the lift pump run with the key on and engine off...I can't now.
2) Is injection timing dependent on timing belt/cam timing? Will changing the belt alter injection timing?
jasper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2018, 09:22   #2
fruitcakesa
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40's

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper1 View Post
I have an 04 Jetta with the BEW engine, 2580000 miles. I have just had the timing belt replaced, intake manifold cleaned out and an EGR delete done along with new glow plugs and turbo charger and all filters changed. I bought it four years ago with 120000 miles. When I bought it I changed the T belt and camshaft (cam not really needed but I did it anyway) After having all this recent work done all I can say is WOW! I don't ever remember it having this much snap. Only problem is it's become very hard to start when cold. It sits in a heated garage overnight and will start right up in the morning. After sitting all day in below freezing temps however its a bear to get started again, sometimes 2 or 3 cycles of the glow plugs and then lots of black smoke for a minute or two. After that it's OK. Battery is less than a month old, only other variable is a change in where we buy fuel, but it gets 5 oz's of Howes fuel treatment at every fill up. Before I start chasing ghosts can someone tell me please tell me:
1) should I be able to hear the lift pump run with the key on and engine off...I can't now.
2) Is injection timing dependent on timing belt/cam timing? Will changing the belt alter injection timing?
This is a likely culprit. Easy enough to check.
Old February 3rd, 2018, 09:23   #3
JB05
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 43/41/40

If you have good hearing you should be able to hear the in-tank pump for the first two seconds. May have to lift up the right rear seat. Another simple test for the pump is to pull the thermos T off the fuel filter to be sure it is full. That would be an indication that the pump is working.
JB05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2018, 09:23   #4
fruitcakesa
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40's

Quote:
I missed this the first time, maybe it is the reason
Old February 3rd, 2018, 10:54   #5
maxmoo
Veteran Member

you sure drive alot!
maxmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2018, 13:20   #6
JDSwan87
Black Swamp Thing

Yes timing will absolutely effect your starting. You need to check your timing with VCDS with the engine up to full 190*F . The timing should plot slightly advanced. The way I understand it is your car starts based on static timing then after a few seconds, the ECU kicks in and begins to alter timing.

Stella (Mine now): 2005 Shadow Blue Jetta Wagon TDI 09A
Mods: RC1. VCDS HEX-CAN USB (near Toledo, OH)
JDSwan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2018, 16:50   #7
jasper1

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmoo View Post
you sure drive alot!
It's the wifes car really, I just get to fix it. I bought it with just shy of 120000 based on my friends 03 Jetta with an ALH engine having gone 585000 miles before he decided that having to drive it from New Hampshire to Baltimore or Pittsburg for work, sometimes in the same week, was getting to be more than he wanted to do. Car is still in service, just not for the long hauls.
On another note though..I knew the hose connection from the intercooler to the intake was dodgey at the ASV valve so I ordered a dog collar repair from KermaTDI...I also didn't know it set a DTC code till today when I went to install the collar..P0101, MAF or air flow volume, so I'm thinking low boost pressure might have had something to do with it. Funny part is it didn't go into limp mode like the last time an intercooler line was leaking.
Old February 3rd, 2018, 17:25   #8
maxmoo
Veteran Member

Quote:
1)Yes, for a few seconds
2) yes and yes

......over 2.5 million miles might be a record around here.
maxmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2018, 19:23   #9
jasper1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitcakesa View Post
I missed this the first time, maybe it is the reason
Aha! I see the error of my ways It should be noted that the IT people at work call me Mr Typo
Old February 4th, 2018, 03:37   #10
Tdijarhead
Veteran Member

What’s a zero here and there?

The lift pump should activate every time you turn the ignition to glow your vehicle as has been noted.

After all that work was the torsion/timing checked? If so what is it set at?
Tdijarhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2018, 15:34   #11
sawmilldon
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2004 Wagon

I am all ears on this thread, cuz I am in the same boat. Blue smoke until it warms up a little.
sawmilldon is offline   Reply With Quote