www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Fuel Economy

TDI Fuel Economy Discussions about increasing the fuel economy of your TDI engine. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old January 23rd, 2018, 16:32   #1
Ottrwagen

Fuel Economy: 56.2 mpg steady LA to Palm Springs
Default Is 56mpg normal on freeway?? 🦊

Hi yíall! I bought a 2015 new this past May after they were freed from jail/quarantine...the car had 6 miles when I took delivery and Now has 17,500. Needless to say, i consistently get 56 mpg from Palm Springs to LA on the 10 freeway. Is this possible? I generally get my diesel from 76 and or Chevron (my favs) and sometimes itís quite a bit higher if thereís a slight downhill for a good stretch.
If Iím getting this consistently and the carís software has been adjusted so itís California compliant, why would VW need to do anything to the car as happened with the scandal? This mileage on the freeway and the car being relatively ďcleanĒ is amazing! Thots? Ottr
Ottrwagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2018, 17:31   #2
narongc73
Veteran Member

Imposibru!
narongc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2018, 18:43   #3
Tdijarhead
Veteran Member

56mpg is possible with these little cars, however you don’t say if you’re doing a consistent fill and figuring mileage via pen and paper or relying on that misinformed computer on your dashboard. I guess we need a bit more info.
Tdijarhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2018, 21:01   #4
Nevada_TDI
Veteran Member

Ottrwagen, The only way to really check the FE is to drive-and-fill, drive-and-fill and do the math. It is possible you are getting that amazing FE on the freeway, but as soon as you get into town driving your FE will usually take a giant hit. My Torque Pro says I get 50 MPG at 75 MPH, and I believe it mostly true as the tune I am currently running used to get 52 MPG at 75 MPH with the old nozzles. Here's the catch: my drive-and-fill calculations leave me at 35 MPG combined as most of my driving is done in town.
2001 Jetta GL TDI, Tinted, Ventectomy, Catectomy, EGR-ectomy, TDTuning, HIFLO .216's, Stealth 17/56 Garrett, VCDS Hex+CAN, South Bend Daily Driver 2 Clutch, DG Short Shifter, Frostheater, Baldwin Fuel Filter, Previous Diesel: 1983 Rabbit Diesel

Last edited by Nevada_TDI; January 24th, 2018 at 12:37.
Nevada_TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2018, 08:36   #5
ModdedMach

I would say for the 2.0 cars all hwy that is a bit optimistic but not impossible. I say that because hwy speed isnt actually the "best" driving for fuel economy due to the big increase in wind resistance at higher speeds, if you were able to keep your speeds in the low 50mph range and drain most of your tank without stopping that would be ideal. A friend of mine has a 2015 sport wagon and drove across the country all hwy and got 48-49.

As others have said, manually calculating fuel consumption by filling the tank to the brim is best. You can also use GPS/mapping to help measure the accuracy of your odometer.

EDIT: if your tire pressure is still at the factory recommended pressure then I would say that 56 is really optimistic.
ModdedMach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2018, 09:07   #6
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

My recollection is that from Palm Springs to LA you can have a pretty strong tail wind. How's it do in the other direction?
Old January 24th, 2018, 09:32   #7
Jetta_Pilot
Veteran Member

Location: West Hill, Ont. Mexico mid October 2018 to end of April 2019

There are times when I am getting 80 Mpg plus. But I'm going downhill with my foot off the go pedal.

DO NOT believe the MFD readout. As has been mentioned, the only way to know your mileage is by religiously filling to the top and recording distance driven and fuel used over several fill-ups. Then do the math!
All LED interior bulbs. Several VCDS mods. Darker window tint. EVO skid-plate. Malone Stage 2, Malone DSG tune. Winpower Projector headlights. Angel eyes. LED DRL's. 24mm H&R rear sway bar. Phase 1 & Phase 2 done.
Jetta_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2018, 13:28   #8
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

At approx 110 miles between those 2 cities you can't be doing full tanks. Short trips like this can show inflated mileage. Tank averages are more consistent with everyday driving. Use a site such as Fuelly to record and compare your economy. These cars shine on extended trips on the highway. I once drove one of mine for 806 miles all Interstate, and it got in the low 50's. But over time in normal driving city/highway 36-42 mpg was more normal. Tell us what the next three tank averages are calculated by hand. I can get over 200 mpg for 3 miles.
Old January 24th, 2018, 19:47   #9
Blue_Hen_TDI
Veteran Member

I'm averaging almost 56 mpg lifetime, so yes. Absolutely possible. I've seen 50 mile legs in the mid 70s with a tailwind in mine.

2015 GSW TDI S DSG - FrostHeater
2011 BMW 335d - JR 2.8 tuned
Blue_Hen_TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2018, 14:11   #10
Jetta_Pilot
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_Hen_TDI View Post
I'm averaging almost 56 mpg lifetime, so yes. Absolutely possible. I've seen 50 mile legs in the mid 70s with a tailwind in mine.
On each and everyone of your cars?
All LED interior bulbs. Several VCDS mods. Darker window tint. EVO skid-plate. Malone Stage 2, Malone DSG tune. Winpower Projector headlights. Angel eyes. LED DRL's. 24mm H&R rear sway bar. Phase 1 & Phase 2 done.
Old January 29th, 2018, 14:52   #11
Blue_Hen_TDI
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetta_Pilot View Post
On each and everyone of your cars?
Nope, just the GSW.

2015 GSW TDI S DSG - FrostHeater
2011 BMW 335d - JR 2.8 tuned
Blue_Hen_TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2018, 18:52   #12
Lug_Nut
TDIClub Enthusiast
Pre-Forum Veteran Member

Ottrwagen's claimed 56 mpg(us) is on the high side of a bell curve, but not impossible. A lot depends on just how fast the car is being driven on the freeway. Trundling along at 55 in the slow lane minding your own business and avoiding brake and accelerator movement? 56 mpg is absolutely plausible. Driving at 70+ mpg? I call BS on the 56 mpg.

Svante Arrhenius 1896

Cogito ergo soy (I think, therefore: Biodiesel)
Lug_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2018, 20:24   #13
tdi54
Veteran Member

I believe one of the contributing factor is that you lose probably more than 850 feet in elevation heading to LA. What's your mileage from LA to Palm Spring?
tdi54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2018, 04:34   #14
2015vwgolfdiesel
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: City mid 40s ~ Road mid 50s ~ Two (2) 61 MPG fill ups
Exclamation 81.17 MPG ~~ before the fix

Of course it is possible

https://www.carscoops.com/2015/07/20...s-8117-mpg-at/
2015vwgolfdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2018, 09:46   #15
Jetta_Pilot
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2015vwgolfdiesel View Post
First off I can't seem to get the video! So can't see their tips! But

I'll bet you the car was probably not driven at higher than 45 Mph speeds. It was driven as if there was a raw egg between the foot and the pedals, ie no fast starts and no braking if at all possible. Anticipating red traffic lights and not coming to a stop. Also anytime a stop was necessary, these stops and braking manoeuvres were very gradual, probably slowing down only using the brakes at the very last to come to a full stop.

Yes it can be done but not driving normally. If you drive like a raped ape you will never get these results.

Last edited by Jetta_Pilot; January 30th, 2018 at 09:50.