www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal

Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal Discussion around the VW Dieselgate Emissions scandal. Details and news updates can be viewed here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=448336 This forum is a work in progress depending on requirements, usage, etc.

Old January 9th, 2018, 10:12   #841
jeffcapp99
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfTDISA View Post
I Agree with JOHTDI that is at least what we can do , instead of doing nothing . JOHTDI gread job listing all of them
This is great work guys. Thanks for your research and emails. I will fire some off today as well. As for Phong at Cabreaser - I spoke to him a few months ago. He is a nice guy. One of the better ones there. He did not have answers but at least he was sympathetic to my plight and understood the salvage issue.
jeffcapp99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2018, 20:27   #842
GolfTDISA

Default The next step would be maybe be

I think we should try to get our Story about VW buyback hold up on Rebuilt and Salvage cars to any Press or Newspaper agency willing to published it , or example maybe like , WIRED JALOPNIK , CONSUMER REPORTS or any other willing to publish .What do you guys think ?
any recommendation ? let's find some contact info ,emails etc
GolfTDISA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2018, 22:06   #843
jibberjive
Veteran Member

TDI(s): MK7 GSW

I agree with the direction all of this is going. We have a very limited time to make as much noise as possible, so fire off those emails, and lets get some media coverage asap!

Awesome work johnTDI for getting the specific contact info together. I have a few thoughts about the contact info below:
Quote:
Originally Posted by johtdi View Post
WE NEED AS MANY AS POSSIBLE TO GET THIS DONE, PLEASE SPEND THE TIME TO DO IT. Advise nothing is being done. We need to all do our part so that something is done other than wait, we have time to do this now so that when judge makes his ruling maybe our voice will be heard or prior to the report coming out on the 30th documenting the problems with the settlement.
Company providing the Quarterly Reports, email them as well nothing being done on hold not accounted for in reports our types of cases.
https://ankura.com/?s=volkswagen+
I think it's worth noting in this contact post that the official title for the Ankura company, in regards to the settlement, is that they are the official "Court-Appointed Claims Supervisor." Their position as a 3rd party "claims supervisor" was explicitly stipulated in the settlement, and their job is to review claims and "review the claims administration process to ensure that it is conducted in accord with [the] Order."

When I first read your post, I took it as they were just the ones who processed the quarterly update report, not that they had much authority to review anything. They seem to be possibly the most important people to contact regarding this, as they will communicate directly with the judge through the report, independent of the dispassionate and ineffective Class Counsel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johtdi View Post
OUR LEAD ATTORNEY Class Counsel:
Lead Counsel of entire settlement, all other attorneys assist my understanding. Not sure who or which directly speaks to vw.
Lieff Cabraser Heimann & Bernstein, LLP
275 Battery Street, 29th Floor
San Francisco, CA 94111
https://www.lieffcabraser.com/contact
T (415) 956 1000 fx (415) 956 1008
Attorney: Phong Nguyen
email:
pgnguyen@lchb.com
I am not sure if we want to blast email everyone at the Lead Counsel's firm who has been dealing with this, but if we do, I've got some thoughts and some additional email addresses.

Over the course of the past year or so I have been in touch with various people at the firm about various things. I believe the main person to impress the importance of this on might be Elizabeth Cabraser (of the Lieff-Cabraser name) herself. She did an open mic Q&A on Jalopnik a while ago (https://jalopnik.com/ask-the-lead-di...bou-1793506282), and when I reached out to her via email, she put me immediately in touch with the others who are working on the settlement, and she actually replied herself as well on occasion.

Her direct email is:

ecabraser@lchb.com

Maybe on the Class Counsel email that we send, we address it to her, and then CC the following people as well on the same email (all of which email addresses were either CC'd by people within the firm during our discussions, or who replied to me directly):

info@vwclasscounsel.com
Phong-Chau Nguyen
pgnguyen@lchb.com
David Stellings
dstellings@lchb.com
Wendy Behan, she replied from both a Lieff-Cabraser email, as well as a CASEY GERRY SCHENK FRANCAVILLA BLATT & PENFIELD LLP email, where she is partner
wbehan@lchb.com
wbehan@cglaw.com
Laura M. Haley, Contract Attorney
lhaley@lchb.com

Quote:
I think we should try to get our Story about VW buyback hold up on Rebuilt and Salvage cars to any Press or Newspaper agency willing to published it , or example maybe like , WIRED JALOPNIK , CONSUMER REPORTS or any other willing to publish .What do you guys think ?
any recommendation ? let's find some contact info ,emails etc
I believe the guy we need to get a hold of at Jalopnik is David Tracy, as he is the guy who authored/orgainized the article Q&A with Elizabeth Cabraser, and he has authored a bunch of other articles about the settlement and technicalities.

https://jalopnik.com/we-dont-know-th...alf-1793622815
https://jalopnik.com/comment-of-the-...awy-1793543661
https://jalopnik.com/heres-the-entir...ing-1790432859
https://jalopnik.com/vw-finally-has-...hol-1772346691

His contact info (take from https://kinja.com/David_Tracy) is:

david.tracy@jalopnik.com

Twitter
https://twitter.com/davidntracy

Someone (I won't have the time right now) should email and/or send him a DM in twitter about writing an article on the salvage title situation. If someone does, if they want to forward me a draft of their email, I can possibly get in contact with another automobile media writer from a different publication as well.

Last edited by jibberjive; January 9th, 2018 at 22:09.
jibberjive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2018, 13:18   #844
GolfTDISA

Default Let's do this

Please don't be offended anyone, It seem to me from some of the contacts that I talked to, we have lot of people are waiting and doing nothing , if you don't email and proactively get involved like some of us here we will not achieve anything . And most likely, it will not be a good outcome for all of us. People sitting back and waiting for miracle doesn't work. I hope everyone finds time and does this .
Old January 11th, 2018, 11:20   #845
E2Tdi

Quote:
Please don't be offended anyone, It seem to me from some of the contacts that I talked to, we have lot of people are waiting and doing nothing , if you don't email and proactively get involved like some of us here we will not achieve anything . And most likely, it will not be a good outcome for all of us. People sitting back and waiting for miracle doesn't work. I hope everyone finds time and does this .
I am going to write to some emails to various groups. I agree, we need to create some noise
E2Tdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2018, 12:50   #846
psd1
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: See Fuelly link

Quote:
Originally Posted by E2Tdi View Post
I am going to write to some emails to various groups. I agree, we need to create some noise
I suggest correspondence be posted so others may not have to reinvent the wheel.

psd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2018, 18:49   #847
jeffcapp99
Veteran Member

I wrote a bunch of emails tonight. This is frustrating!! Anyone get any responses yet?
Old January 11th, 2018, 19:15   #848
GolfTDISA

I think none of us will see immediate results , but however for the first time there is lots and lots people getting involved and by just sending emails it will let them know that the pressure to resolve this is rising and that we will put up the fight if need be. Now options are all there , maybe a new class action lawsuit or anything else but that they can't ignore us forever.
Also there is some rumor that some Press will get involved as well very soon on this topic. It will not look good if VW gets charged with breach of contact and all the negative Press that they don't need right now etc .
Old January 12th, 2018, 17:00   #849
1842 TDI

TDI(s): 2014 Jetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffcapp99 View Post
I wrote a bunch of emails tonight. This is frustrating!! Anyone get any responses yet?
I got a response from Ankura Consulting:
Thank you for contacting Ankura Consulting. We appreciate your correspondence and providing us valuable insight into the Volkswagen claims program consumer experience. We will certainly take your comments into consideration as we undertake our ongoing reporting responsibilities.

Thank you again for your correspondence.

Sincerely,

Ankura Consulting Group, LLC
1842 TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2018, 19:13   #850
GolfTDISA

We should all follow Judges Schedule/ Calendar for Feb 2018

http://www.cand.uscourts.gov/CEO/cfd.aspx?7134

there is something being decided on

Thursday, Feb 1 2018
09:00AM
3:15-cv-05531-CRB - Miao v. Preferred Restaurant Brands, Inc. et al
Jury Trial
10:00AM
3:15-md-02672-CRB - In re: Volkswagen "Clean Diesel" Marketing, Sales Practices, and Products Liability Litigation
Motion Hearing
Motion to Dismiss
11:00AM
3:15-md-02672-CRB - In re: Volkswagen "Clean Diesel" Marketing, Sales Practices, and Products Liability Litigation
Motion to Dismiss
Friday, Feb 2 2018

Last edited by GolfTDISA; January 12th, 2018 at 19:46.
Old January 12th, 2018, 19:46   #851
GolfTDISA

New info found for Feb 1 2018

http://cand.uscourts.gov/crb/vwmdl

Recent Proceedings & Deadlines:
Date Proceeding or Deadline Courtroom (if applicable)
February 1, 2018 at 10:00 a.m. Hearing on Defendants' Motion to Dismiss the Complaints of the Environmental Protection Commission of Hillsborough County and Salt Lake County No. 6 - 17th floor
February 1, 2018 at 11:00 a.m. Hearing on Defendants' Motion to Dismiss the Volkswagen Bondholders' First Amended Class Action Complaint
No 6 - 17th floor

So FALSE ALARM , they will not even talk about our case in February it seem like it at all.

Last edited by GolfTDISA; January 12th, 2018 at 20:09.
Old January 13th, 2018, 13:38   #852
GolfTDISA

Default seen this today not related to VW but related to our cause

I have seen this today maybe everyone should see it for themselves.

https://www.facebook.com/goalcast/vi...0911382319379/
Old January 13th, 2018, 19:10   #853
GolfTDISA

Exclamation Very interesting story

THIS IS UNCONFIRMED STORY but to me it makes a lot of sense and it explains a lot indirectly.

Talk to the California guy that had a friend that works in VW and he had told me an interesting story. Timeline of the events makes lot of sense, the VW stopped buying Rebuilt /Salvage cars right in April / May 2017 when they found out themself that they will have the " fix " for all the cars. Secondly right after that in June or July if I recall right , EPA and the other Government agencies approves the fix for all except 12-14 Passat manual transmission.

The new so called "framework" will be asking the Judge just to fix them and pay restitution and NOT TO BUY them back, because they know all the Salvage and Rebuilt title cars , the VW dealers do not want to resale to the public, so they will end up being crushed or dismantled and they would save VW millions .If they don't have to buy them , they do not have to store them , resale, dismantle etc etc ...
Only the Judge can change the contract and we do not have input on whatsoever ,not even to voice our opinion. We need to continue trying to talk to our council and let them know that if that is the case that is not ok. Secondly there are lots of complains on the VW diesel Fix messing up the cars not only here but in europe as well. Not to mention much lower actual mileage that you can get.
People please I urge you keep the pressure by emailing again to all the people listed above .

Like I stated this is a unconfirmed story , I don't have the way to verify anything!!!!!!!!!!
Old January 13th, 2018, 19:50   #854
jeffcapp99
Veteran Member

Quote:
the VW dealers do not want to resale to the public, so they will end up being crushed or dismantled and they would save VW millions .If they don't have to buy them , they do not have to store them , resale, dismantle etc etc ...
Golftdisa - I do not buy the story. That would be a major change to the document that does not fit the characteristics of why a judge would change it. (ambiguity, etc). That would be splitting the baby which courts rarely do.
The court may side with VW or salvage owners but I do not think they will do that. Further, this change would benefit VW, BUT SCREW anyone that got a fix instead of a buyback (resulting in more court action). Think of it, if thousands of rebuilt cars get on the market the resale value would go in the dump. VW Dealers would love for all these salvage cars to be bought back (and crushed) and not sell any fixed TDIs.

It is my understanding that very few VW's that were repurchased where actually resold. I think only the generation 3 engine which was only in 2015 was going to be fixed and resold and the demand was tepid. If I am correct (I may not be) VW will be crushing a lot of cars. VW dealers do not want to sell low mileage cars and hurt their new car sales.

I believe the problem with the court document centers around a former owner restitution (on totaled vehicles) and the timing of when they can claim it.

That said, I am always curious about these stories.

On a side note, I have received several Takata Airbag notices on rebuilt cars. I called VW (corporate - not settlement folks) and they said salvage titles are eligible for new airbags. MORE expenses for them as I think Takata is out of business.
Old January 13th, 2018, 20:05   #855
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Takata is out (bankruptcy IIRC) but someone else stepped up and took over IIRC.

VW was only required to get to the 85% point on the recall buybacks IIRC. Maybe they are approaching this and want to just leave the salvage cars in the remaining 15% and only eligible for the fix and not the buy back. That would fall under the current rules it seems and lend "some" credence to the above "story". That would account for about 80k cars if 475K was the original number.

"The government requires that 85 percent of the nearly 475,000 affected TDIs to be fixed or removed from the road by June 30, 2019."

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...ssions-recall-