www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old January 2nd, 2018, 08:46   #1
KyleMillione

Default 02 Jetta was running fine and died and wonít restart

Hey guys,
So my wife took the Jetta out last night and it died and wouldn’t start again. It was 6f outside so I had thought possibly the fuel gelled in the line, although the fuel was treated with howes. I went back to it today, it’s 20f out now, and it still won’t start. I checked the fuel filter and it was almost empty. I filled it with diesel and still no start. There is a large air bubble in the clear fuel line to the pump. Am I boned? I’m afraid that the IP has died.
KyleMillione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2018, 09:57   #2
maxmoo
Veteran Member

Sounds like your problem could be....

Your sending unit/fuel pick-up, that is in your fuel tank, has a very small orifice at a check valve that can and often will bridge/plug with debris, ice, and/or gelled fuel.
When this happens the vacuum created by the inj pump trying to suck fuel will cause air to be sucked into the fuel system at the weakest link, usualy the thermo T at the filter. This all happens more commonly in cold temps.
See....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRMTEAKsScE
If this is your problem search "ALH TDI blocked check valve in sending unit".
The check valve can be drilled out and removed.
After checking for and fixing blockage replace your fuel filter with a new one, filled with fuel, and prime the inj pump and the injectors because you will have air in the system.good luck.If you don't know how to prime the ip and injectors....search.

Last edited by maxmoo; January 2nd, 2018 at 10:04.
maxmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2018, 10:18   #3
wonneber
Veteran Member

Also you will have to bleed the system.
If the filter hasn't been changed in a while now might be a good time.
Taking it out and to a warm place to drain it and any water that may be in the bottom.
Easiest way to bleed it is with a vacuum pump to suck fuel through the filter and injection pump.
After that you have to loosen the injector lines at the injectors and crank the engine until fuel comes out with little bubbling.
Have rags around the base of the injectors to catch the fuel.
There's posts with detailed steps if needed, search for bleeding injector pump or such.
wonneber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2018, 14:37   #4
KyleMillione

Thanks guys,
I just towed it home on my trooper. Unfortunately since I donít have a garage to work in, and itís supposed to snow tomorrow, iím gonna have to wait a bit to take it all apart. Iím hoping thatís all it is, but it seems logical because she didnít make it far, and it was probably running on the fuel in the filter. Iíll keep you posted.
Old January 2nd, 2018, 16:30   #5
red16vdub
Veteran Member

Definitely sounds like your sending unit check valve, reason is you said you're fuel filter was empty. That leads me to believe your issue is well before your IP.

Bajan
17/56 turbo, RC ASV-5+ @ 28psi, 3 Bar Map, 11mm IP, PD Lift Pump, R520's, McNally boost/egt, Euro FIS full screen Cluster, PD 150 Intake/racepipe, PD 150 plastic T.I.P + R32 maf air mods, Kerma 2.5" Fmic, Kerma 3"T-B exhaust/resonator/ Aero turbine muffler, SBC stage 3 Endurance, GLi brakes F/R , GLi axles, H&R Bilstein sports cup kit.
red16vdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2018, 17:06   #6
Genesis
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 53/48/42

If the filter was nearly empty you probably have a restriction (e.g. gelled fuel, given the temperature) and the vacuum pulled was enough to open up a seal somewhere and get air into the line (e.g. at the Thermo-T on the fuel filter)
Genesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2018, 12:18   #7
burn_your_money
Veteran Member

I'll be that guy, are you sure there is actually diesel in the tank?
Old January 3rd, 2018, 13:02   #8
BobnOH
not-a-mechanic

Fuel Economy: 50/45/35

The fuel may have gelled at 6˚. Once it gels it will stay gelled below freezing. They make chemicals to help fix the gel, but a nice warm 40˚ garage will do the trick. I'd rule that out before going thru all the fuel system. An empty fuel filter is what makes me interweb diagnose gelling.
BobnOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2018, 13:04   #9
Genesis
Veteran Member

What Bob said -- usually if the filter is empty (or has air in it even if not completely empty) you usually have a plugged fuel flow and the lift pump's suction drew air past the Thermo-T seals and into the filter.

If it's cold (below 32F) then the usual cause of that is gelled fuel -- not always, but quite frequently.
Old January 4th, 2018, 08:07   #10
KyleMillione

Hey guys,
So I ordered a new fuel filter and mickey clip (because itís lost on the side of the road) from Bora Parts. When it stops snowing Iím gonna take a mityvac to the fuel line and check for restrictions. The fuel should flow relatively easy from the tank right? If it seems restricted Iíll pull the fuel pickup and drill out the check valve. Thanks for all the help and Iíll keep you posted.
Old January 4th, 2018, 08:38   #11
maxmoo
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleMillione View Post
Hey guys,
So I ordered a new fuel filter and mickey clip (because itís lost on the side of the road) from Bora Parts. When it stops snowing Iím gonna take a mityvac to the fuel line and check for restrictions. The fuel should flow relatively easy from the tank right? If it seems restricted Iíll pull the fuel pickup and drill out the check valve. Thanks for all the help and Iíll keep you posted.
Yes, it should flow very easily, virtualy no resistance at all.
Even if it seems to flow easily, you may want to check the check valve anyway...if it was gelled/waxed up at that spot it may have thawed enough if things warmed up to flow again. I guess what I'm trying to say is if it was mine I'd drill out the check valve anyway as a preventitive maintenance thing.
One tip try to do it when the tank isn't full to the brim or you may get some spillage.
maxmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2018, 18:08   #12
KyleMillione

Hey guys,
The Hess trucks back and itís better than ever! It finally got above freezing and I was able to dig out and work on it. I drilled out the check valve and primed the system and she fired. I didnít change the filter as it only has 3000 miles on it and it didnít seem damaged (no gel/water). Unfortunately now I think I killed the fuel gauge. I guess Iím gonna have to take it apart again and check the cables to the sending unit.
Old January 9th, 2018, 03:29   #13
red16vdub
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis View Post
What Bob said -- usually if the filter is empty (or has air in it even if not completely empty) you usually have a plugged fuel flow and the lift pump's suction drew air past the Thermo-T seals.

The OP doesn't have a lift pump.

Bajan
17/56 turbo, RC ASV-5+ @ 28psi, 3 Bar Map, 11mm IP, PD Lift Pump, R520's, McNally boost/egt, Euro FIS full screen Cluster, PD 150 Intake/racepipe, PD 150 plastic T.I.P + R32 maf air mods, Kerma 2.5" Fmic, Kerma 3"T-B exhaust/resonator/ Aero turbine muffler, SBC stage 3 Endurance, GLi brakes F/R , GLi axles, H&R Bilstein sports cup kit.
Old January 9th, 2018, 04:06   #14
Genesis
Veteran Member

Yes he does; it's in the IP itself and draws fuel through the filter.

What he doesn't have is an in-tank pressure feed pump.
Old January 9th, 2018, 15:25   #15
red16vdub
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis View Post
Yes he does; it's in the IP itself and draws fuel through the filter.

What he doesn't have is an in-tank pressure feed pump.

Please shed some light on this, maybe I got it wrong. So to be clear your saying the lift pump is built into the injection pumps ?

Bajan