www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > General Automotive

General Automotive General automotive discussion. This is intended to be a discussion about other not VW and Diesel cars you may have or interested in.

Old January 3rd, 2018, 12:37   #1
2015vwgolfdiesel
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: City mid 40s ~ Road mid 50s ~ Two (2) 61 MPG fill ups
Arrow 5 percent of new cars are manual

Automatic is king

Many dealers don't stock 'em, because they are hard to sell

Many folks can not even drive a manual

https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/...s-disappearing
2015vwgolfdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2018, 14:34   #2
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

The Europeans still know how to drive manuals. They don't drive huge, gas guzzling SUV's much either.
turbobrick240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2018, 16:00   #3
vwdsmguy
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 49/46/42
Default SUV seem to be the norm these days

Climate change, you would think, would have Americans driving smaller cars, but that ain't so, it seems. My view is Americans will drive the biggest car they can afford, be damned the emissions. I guess fuel is just too cheap these days!
Thats is the way I see it.
'02 Golf TDI, RC5, PP764's, FMIC, 2.5" T-Back, OMI, SB-3 clutch, 11mm pump, VNT17/22, 3 Bar MAP, CAT filter, 90 GPH Holley lift pump, modded D24 intake manifold, Rosten rods, Nural pistons, ported head - 15.0 @ 94 at the drags
vwdsmguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2018, 19:34   #4
2015vwgolfdiesel
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwdsmguy View Post
Climate change, you would think, would have Americans driving smaller cars, but that ain't so, it seems. My view is Americans will drive the biggest car they can afford, be damned the emissions. I guess fuel is just too cheap these days!
  • 02 Golf TDI, RC5, PP764's, FMIC, 2.5" T-Back, OMI, SB-3 clutch, 11mm pump, VNT17/22, 3 Bar MAP, CAT filter, 90 GPH Holley lift pump, modded D24 intake manifold, Rosten rods, Nural pistons, ported head - 15.0 @ 94 at the drags

your hobby (drags) add to emissions?
Old January 3rd, 2018, 20:18   #5
aja8888
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Out of TDI's
Fuel Economy: About as good as it gets!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwdsmguy View Post
I just left California today on Highway 5 going south. Try $3.79/gallon for 86 octane on for size. Diesel was over $4.00/gal. No one at the diesel pumps.
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2018, 20:20   #6
aja8888
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2015vwgolfdiesel View Post
Automatic is king
Many dealers don't stock 'em, because they are hard to sell
Many folks can not even drive a manual
https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/...s-disappearing
Women pick the cars in the US (well, maybe not VW drivers). Stands to reason that autos are picked along with big mirrors on the visors.
Old January 4th, 2018, 04:19   #7
Tdijarhead
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Women pick the cars in the US (well, maybe not VW drivers). Stands to reason that autos are picked along with big mirrors on the visors.

Im doing my part to bring back the manual transmission. Each of my three daughters drive one. 5 spd 01 Beetle diesel, 6spd 15 Hyundai velsoter, 4spd 94 Toyota Tercel.

They like to row their own gears. One of the side benefits is better mpg, both of the gassers get mid 30s of course you all know what the beetle does.
Tdijarhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2018, 05:34   #8
pdq import repair
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 38.5

It is the trend, and consumers dictate the market. This goes way back. As an example I remember back in 2000 Toyota redesigned the Camry completely, nothing from the earlier model remained. They had three cars previous, one was the fully loaded one, then the middle one, and finally a strippo version with manual trans and rollup windows. They found that less than 5% of the sales were the strippo, so they dropped that model and saved money not having to engineer another car with roll up windows and and other things on a lesser profit model. the price of the two remaining models then was actually less.

I like the simplicity of manual cars too, but today's automatics really are nice. I am very happy with mt DSG and don't even miss the manual car I replaced.
pdq import repair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2018, 19:10   #9
Jetta_Pilot
Veteran Member

Location: West Hill, Ont. Mexico mid October 2017 to end of April 2018

Anywhere but the USA and Canada people drive manuals. I.E Europe, Asia and Mexico. One reason is the better mileage but the main reason is a manual tranny car is cheaper to buy and to repair !!
Old January 7th, 2018, 00:36   #10
DPM
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 38.5- 47 Forester, Citroen 55- 63

^ Whilst that's the perception, emissions targets are easier to achieve with autoboxes and so in the EU there's a greater uptake of automated manuals/DSGs in recent times, especially as they don't have the same mpg hit as previous autos.
DPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2018, 05:37   #11
German_1er_diesel
Veteran Member

TDI(s): BMW 118d

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
...my wife drives a manual, diesel Juke, what are we doing wrong?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPM View Post
^ Whilst that's the perception, emissions targets are easier to achieve with autoboxes and so in the EU there's a greater uptake of automated manuals/DSGs in recent times, especially as they don't have the same mpg hit as previous autos.
They don't have the same mileage penalty as old automatics, but they are far less impressive in real life than they are in government test cycles. It's easy to optimize an automatic to do very well in a test cycle, which gives them an advantage there. Less so in the real world.

Last edited by German_1er_diesel; January 11th, 2018 at 05:43.
German_1er_diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2018, 06:57   #12
kjclow
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 max / 44 avg on beetle ~37 on JSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by German_1er_diesel View Post
...my wife drives a manual, diesel Juke, what are we doing wrong?

They don't have the same mileage penalty as old automatics, but they are far less impressive in real life than they are in government test cycles. It's easy to optimize an automatic to do very well in a test cycle, which gives them an advantage there. Less so in the real world.
Fully agree on both comments. Anyone who drives a stick knows learns how to adjust to circumstances. There was a huge traffic snarl for me this morning. Took me about 40 minutes to go my 7 miles to work. There's a fairly long stretch of downhill road where I just pop the truck out of gear and coast with the flow. Probably doesn't save me anything other than resting my left leg on the floor instead of the clutch. If I had an auto, I would have been riding the brakes most of that, like everyone else was.
Old January 11th, 2018, 07:08   #13
2015vwgolfdiesel
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjclow View Post
Fully agree on both comments. Anyone who drives a stick knows learns how to adjust to circumstances. There was a huge traffic snarl for me this morning. Took me about 40 minutes to go my 7 miles to work. There's a fairly long stretch of downhill road where I just pop the truck out of gear and coast with the flow. Probably doesn't save me anything other than resting my left leg on the floor instead of the clutch. If I had an auto, I would have been riding the brakes most of that, like everyone else was.
I have DSG (2015 Golf.)

IMO, I would need no (or little) brake on my car. Unless it was a large grade
Old January 11th, 2018, 08:25   #14
KLXD
Veteran Member

A driver in with an auto can adjust to those circumstances the same way.

Current: 02 Jetta, Auto; 98 Jetta, 5 Spd; 98 Dodge, 5 Spd, SB, 4x4; 84 Grand Wagoneer with Nissan SD33T, NV4500, Dana 300, Reverse Cut Dana 44, Dana 60

The Black Sheep (Only gasser): 85 CJ, 4.2 w/4.0 Head and Mopar FI.

Past: 85 Mitsubishi PU, 4D55T; 81 Rabbit, 1.6; 80 Dasher, 1.5; 79 Rabbit, 1.5
KLXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2018, 12:27   #15
aja8888
Veteran Member

No problem here.....no downhill grades. Also, no more *work* for this guy!