www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)

Upgrades (non TDI Engine related) The place of handling, lighting and other upgrades that do not relate to the performance or economy of the TDI engine. In other words upgrades to your TDI that don't fit into TDI Fuel Economy & TDI Engine Enhancements.Please note the Performance Disclaimer

Old December 4th, 2017, 21:50   #46
OlyTDI
Veteran Member

TDI(s): '04 Golf

Just to update after 6 years of using this mod:

The plug-in mod has endured without problems for the last six years of daily commuting. The paint wore off the receptacle but I've not been motivated to repaint it and I've gotten used to seeing it lighter grey. The plug prongs remain shiny bright -- like new and the door works perfectly and spring remains firm. Nothing has come loose. About two years ago, I re-coated the wires behind the bumper with liquid electrical tape simply to retain the water proofing. Everything has been just perfect and maintenance free.
Malone Tuned, SBC Stage II Daily, Nicktane Cat 2 fuel filter, Dieselgeek bypass oil filter, Whitedog intake hose fix, A4 Defender skid plate, GLI Recaros, Check Temp III, Ventectomy, LED trunk lighting mod, Volx glass headlight lenses, VR6 front and wagon rear springs. Koni FSDs all around. FrostHeater with bumper mounted plug-in mod (details here).
OlyTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2017, 22:16   #47
phaser
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 49 MPG B-20

I mounted the marine plug in the grill, right in the center of the VW emblem.

My wife (me too) loves the ease of plugging and unplugging without having to stoop down, plus it's always clean.

Air Filter - EaA208
/ Transmission Oil - VW G50
phaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2017, 19:59   #48
OlyTDI
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaser View Post
I mounted the marine plug in the grill, right in the center of the VW emblem.

My wife (me too) loves the ease of plugging and unplugging without having to stoop down, plus it's always clean.

That's great, Phaser -- if you back out of the garage and your plugged in, it would pull out without damage.

Got any pix?
Malone Tuned, SBC Stage II Daily, Nicktane Cat 2 fuel filter, Dieselgeek bypass oil filter, Whitedog intake hose fix, A4 Defender skid plate, GLI Recaros, Check Temp III, Ventectomy, LED trunk lighting mod, Volx glass headlight lenses, VR6 front and wagon rear springs. Koni FSDs all around. FrostHeater with bumper mounted plug-in mod (details here).
Old December 12th, 2017, 15:36   #49
phaser
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 49 MPG B-20

Here it is.

Air Filter - EaA208
/ Transmission Oil - VW G50
phaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2017, 21:30   #50
OlyTDI
Veteran Member

That's awesome! Good on ya!
Old December 31st, 2017, 09:35   #51
mrowens33
Veteran Member

Default Looking for just the heater unit

My block heater from Frost heater that I installed on my 2004 Jetta 5 years ago has stopped working. It popped the one circuit. Then when I tried another circuit in the garage, it produced no heat. Does anybody know where I can buy just the heater? I don't see just the heater unit listed on the Frost Heater website.
***Update: I was apparently too impatient. It seems to be working properly now. ***

Last edited by mrowens33; December 31st, 2017 at 10:49.
mrowens33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2017, 10:25   #52
MichaelB
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: very good

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrowens33 View Post
Does anybody know where I can buy just the heater? I don't see just the heater unit listed on the Frost Heater website.
Call or email Terry I'm sure he will help you out.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2017, 18:26   #53
Beaker80

It's called a Zerostart heater made by Phillips & Temro Industries. There are a few different models to choose from. I bought a model 3308003 1500 watt and removed the check ball.

https://phillipsandtemro.com/solutio...ation-heaters/
Beaker80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2017, 20:56   #54
narongc73
Veteran Member

I dunno. i had enough of cords. Installed a Webasto this winter. Cordless warmups. Priceless.
narongc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2018, 07:34   #55
Kriesel
Veteran Member

My heater also seems to have stopped working. Going to verify with an amp-clamp tonight, but pretty sure it stopped.

Might take mine apart and see if it can be fixed internally... Can't break it anymore than it already is!
Old January 17th, 2018, 09:45   #56
Kriesel
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriesel View Post
My heater also seems to have stopped working. Going to verify with an amp-clamp tonight, but pretty sure it stopped.

Might take mine apart and see if it can be fixed internally... Can't break it anymore than it already is!
Verified that power is working ok, but on the colder days I must not have had the timer on long enough to make a difference. Changed the length on the timer, and seems to be starting better now.
Old January 25th, 2018, 14:27   #57
Nevada_TDI
Veteran Member

I recently installed a Frostheater in my Jetta, today I had to scrape ice off of the glass but the engine started right up w/o issue.
2001 Jetta GL TDI, Tinted, Ventectomy, Catectomy, EGR-ectomy, TDTuning, HIFLO .216's, Stealth 17/56 Garrett, VCDS Hex+CAN, South Bend Daily Driver 2 Clutch, DG Short Shifter, Frostheater, Previous Diesel: 1983 Rabbit Diesel
Nevada_TDI is offline   Reply With Quote