www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)

Upgrades (non TDI Engine related) The place of handling, lighting and other upgrades that do not relate to the performance or economy of the TDI engine. In other words upgrades to your TDI that don't fit into TDI Fuel Economy & TDI Engine Enhancements.Please note the Performance Disclaimer

Old January 2nd, 2018, 13:07   #1
Intech
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 03' Jetta 67.1 best 51 avg. 99.5 Golf 46 Avg.
Default Upgrade advice needed

I hope that this is the right place for this request. This is directed at our mostly Northern members that are used to this crappy cold weather we're having here on the East coast. Short of letting my Jetta idle all night (I did it once in Winter when my wife was rushed to the hospital, and I couldn't stay in her room), I'm looking for suggestions, advice, etc. to deal with this cold (zero degrees last night). Yesterday morning it was so cold that my oil alarm went off when I was starting it, and the oil hadn't gotten to the pressure switch yet because it was too cold. My New Years resolution, now, is to have a block heater installed this Summer, but since Winter just started, I'm open to suggestions for right now. Thanks
Old January 2nd, 2018, 20:58   #2
Rrusse11
Veteran Member

Intech,

It hit -2F in Lancaster, after waiting for the glow plug light to go out,
I started right up. Ran a bit rough for the first 30secs or so, and threw some white smoke, I'm suspicious that one of my cylinders is a bit low on compression. I am running 0-40W oil, the Castrol Titanium Edge, the "Euro" blend. VW spec, full synthetic made in Belgium. I feel running the 0W vs a 5W helps.

Gotta' work light? Stick it next to the oil filter and leave it on overnight, that should help keeping the oil a bit warmer. Any of
the winter diesel fuel additives should help.

Judging by the weather forecasts, we're in for continued cold.
Good luck!

RC Stage 4: 11mm pump, 17/22, .230 nozzles, 3bar MAP:2.5" Exhaust: Koni Reds HD Springs, ~1"lift:VR6 fr swaybar, Top strut & rear tie bar: XXIO Racing Rims, 215/55ZR16 GMax AS03's, 10mm/20mm spacers, 35# @: Ventectomy: Atlas skid plate: 02J, SBC2 End, .717 5th, Peloquin LSD, Fluidampr: TT Short Shifter: Bosal Hitch: VW racks:
Rrusse11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2018, 04:13   #3
Intech
Veteran Member

Default Rrusse11

Thank you for your response, and info. The system wouldn't let me reply to you, so I did it this way. What you tell me, is pretty much all I've thought of, however, you're running 0-40 oil, and I'm at 5-40 Rotella T-6. I was thinking of changing to that, but I just changed the oil last week, so I decided against that for the moment I used to use a drop light for decades when I was running Beetles, but I gave that up when a bad bulb started a fire in my pool house, back in 2010, and burned it to the ground. Instead, I called Oliver, and he hooked me up with Terry up in MN, and he's sending me a Frost Heater today, and Oliver will install it as soon as I get it. After that, it can get as cold as it can get, and the car will be warm and heated up within minutes, and start like it's Summer
Old January 3rd, 2018, 05:02   #4
dandywriter
Veteran Member

You'll love the Frostheater! Use your fan sparingly for the first part of your drive - I limit mine to 1 until the heat is starting to go up (using heated seats adds load and you warm the engine more quickly).

I have never had the oil warning go off in my 2006 BRM. I use Fuchs Titan 5W40...

I also recommend blocking the grill with either the pipe insulators or the ID front.

Leaving a window cracked allows heated/moist air to escape when you stop and you don't end up with frost on the inside...
2006 Jetta TDI 5-sp, Bosal hitch, frostheater, evo skidplate, upgraded rear springs and front spring dist kit (1" lift), GIAC Stg 1 tune, USA Spec iPod adapter, SMF clutch, Coolant Heater Grill Outlet, winter front, LED backup and lic lights, VCDS

dandywriter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2018, 05:33   #5
Intech
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandywriter View Post
You'll love the Frostheater! Use your fan sparingly for the first part of your drive - I limit mine to 1 until the heat is starting to go up (using heated seats adds load and you warm the engine more quickly).

I have never had the oil warning go off in my 2006 BRM. I use Fuchs Titan 5W40...

I also recommend blocking the grill with either the pipe insulators or the ID front.

Leaving a window cracked allows heated/moist air to escape when you stop and you don't end up with frost on the inside...
When Terry called me last night, we spoke for about 20 minutes, and he mentioned pretty much all you said. He also added that there are instruction with the kit. I'm really looking forward to it. If I had known about this before, I would have had one a long time ago.
Old January 3rd, 2018, 06:40   #6
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

You have been here as long as I have and never heard of the Frost Heaters? Wow! You need to expand your forum categories some. Good luck with the heater!
Old January 3rd, 2018, 07:17   #7
Windex
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ʎɯouoɔƎ lǝnℲ

Second the Frostheater advice - I have one in my BHW passat, and it will raise the coolant temps 60 or so degrees in 2 hours use.

Careful if you do put the unit on a timer - if the FrostHeater is powered 1/2 hour before departure, it will warm up the coolant near the coolant temp sensor, but will not have fully warmed the block yet - it can actually make the engine much harder to start as the ECU will "think" that the engine is much warmer than it actually is.

I set my timer to go an about 2.5 hours prior to the time I plan to commute each morning.

Proudly installing things where they're not supposed to go since 1996!
Windex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2018, 13:42   #8
Intech
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightflyer1 View Post
You have been here as long as I have and never heard of the Frost Heaters? Wow! You need to expand your forum categories some. Good luck with the heater!
I never heard of them, because, until now, I never had need of them, so I never researched them. I've had five diesels in that time frame, and NEVER had a starting issue until now. I will install it the day after it arrives. From what I've learned, I don't expect anything but good from the installation
Old January 3rd, 2018, 13:48   #9
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

No offense intended. It is just they have been pretty widely discussed over the years I thought anyone being around here that long would have at least heard of them. I am in Texas and really have no need at all for one but know of them from reading here. I hesitated to mention them as I thought it would be dumb to even bring it up as they are pretty well known. They are reported to do very well for people. You will still lose heat while idling though in the very cold.
Old January 3rd, 2018, 13:53   #10
Intech
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightflyer1 View Post
No offense intended. It is just they have been pretty widely discussed over the years I thought anyone being around here that long would have at least heard of them. I am in Texas and really have no need at all for one but know of them from reading here. I hesitated to mention them as I thought it would be dumb to even bring it up as they are pretty well known. They are reported to do very well for people. You will still lose heat while idling though in the very cold.
A lot of people were surprised that I hadn't heard of them, but when something isn't an issue with you, you tend to not pay attention to it
Old January 6th, 2018, 18:16   #11
rocketeer928
Veteran Member

I love my Frost Heater http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.p...&postcount=789

2003 Jetta GLS TDI with RocketChip RC5-ASV-Euro tune specific to my performance modifications - Platinum Gray

yo
1970 VW Type 3 Squareback - Cobalt Blue

rocketeer928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2018, 18:26   #12
turbovan+tdi
Veteran Member

What weight of oil are you using? Synthetic 5w40 should be just fine. As mentioned, blocking the rad and any form of engine preheater will make a huge difference.
2003 JSW 1.8T, silver-parting out. 2006 JSW, TDI 5 speed, blue.
turbovan+tdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2018, 06:12   #13
Intech
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbovan+tdi View Post
What weight of oil are you using? Synthetic 5w40 should be just fine. As mentioned, blocking the rad and any form of engine preheater will make a huge difference.
Rotella T-6 since new 5W-40, and I never had that oil alarm come up before on any of my diesels, in fact the 89' always started almost instantly even at below freezing temps. However, now both my cars will get Frost Heaters
Old January 9th, 2018, 20:12   #14
pebjr
Veteran Member

Like the original post, I've been having issues with starting my car in the cold weather. My question is concerning extended warranties. I had the emission recall fixed on my 2009 tdi a few months back and was wondering if a Frost Heater is installed would that void any of the warranty form VW.
pebjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2018, 08:16   #15
Jetta_Pilot
Veteran Member

Location: West Hill, Ont. Mexico mid October 2018 to end of April 2019

I agree with " Lightflyer1".
I have absolutely no need for a frostheater like that since I spend winters in Mexico since 2001. Though quite often after I have driven through Texas I see on the news that Dallas had snow and a cold spell. But I know/knew of a frost heater because I read threads just for the solutions people come up with for different problems regardless whether they apply to me or not. Sometimes in a totally unrelated thread someone offers up a tip for something which may be of interest.

BTW: I too became a member in 2005.