www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old December 22nd, 2017, 15:20   #16
KERMA

kerma has supported this site for longer than any of the others.

Just sayin.
No, no, you're not thinking; you're just being logical. - Neils Bohr
KERMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2017, 15:24   #17
JDSwan87
Black Swamp Thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlcunlimited View Post
Thank you for answering my questions. I am on a couple of forums and this one seems to be the worst for getting good information unless you get aggressive. Thanks for the information. Just an FYI the best forum that I am on is for my cam am and when it came to upgrades the first thing everyone asked was what what are your plans. Thanks again for the help I think I am just going to order all my stuff from kerma.
KERMA is a reputable company, glad you made a decision. I see you have the tiptronic, I suggest you drain/refill the trans fluid before your upgrades. The fluid is NOT a lifetime fill as advertised by VW. You don't need to buy the VW liquid gold trans fluid either, Idemitsu Type J is what I run and was recommended to run by oilhammer.

What cam are you going to run?

Stella (Mine now): 2005 Shadow Blue Jetta Wagon TDI 09A
Mods: RC1. VCDS HEX-CAN USB (near Toledo, OH)
JDSwan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2017, 15:30   #18
Mongler98
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Race: 12mpg, Gandma:65mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlcunlimited View Post
Well I would reseal it but with the miles on it and not knowing all the history I would feel better just replacing it. What is funny and one of the reasons I went away from this web site is no one has really has answered my question. Everyone wants to know why I am doing something and telling me why not to instead of answering my question. I have been a Nissan and Infiniti tech since 1991 and building aircooled VWs since the 80s and know how and why things fail and work. I just want to know what products out are recommended for my application now. I know when I did first TDI rocketchip was the best for tuning. I got away from this site after I built my Jettit back in 06 with how negative people were especially toward people that are certified techs.
You never asked a question. You did ask "who to use as a tune", but then stated you already planned on going with kerma.

Im just trying to help you out bro. its easy to diagnose a turbos heath and can save you upwards of $1,000 for a part you dont need and if your cam is wearing out that bad there is another issue at hand you probably have to deal with. In all honestly best bang for your buck is to just get a tune and do a regrind. You dont have to be here. we appreciate the community and we all can be a bit thick skinned but no one here was ripping you apart. Best im going to say is good luck and dont take things personal dude, were just trying to help but if its not wanted then i bid you a farewell.
If you want the best tune, call around and speak with the tuners in person. they will all tell you the same thing. the tune they will write you is either a custom (kerma will not do that anymore) Malone is best for custom, or an off the shelf program that works for standard upgrades and that means nozzles, turbo and what not. Sorry i can't be the help you need.
Mongler98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2017, 15:34   #19
JDSwan87
Black Swamp Thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongler98 View Post
You never asked a question. You did ask "who to use as a tune", but then stated you already planned on going with kerma.
Im just trying to help you out bro. its easy to diagnose a turbos heath and can save you upwards of $1,000 for a part you dont need and if your cam is wearing out that bad there is another issue at hand you probably have to deal with. In all honestly best bang for your buck is to just get a tune and do a regrind. You dont have to be here. we appreciate the community and we all can be a bit thick skinned but no one here was ripping you apart. Best im going to say is good luck and dont take things personal dude, were just trying to help but if its not wanted then i bid you a farewell.
If you want the best tune, call around and speak with the tuners in person. they will all tell you the same thing. the tune they will write you is either a custom (kerma will not do that anymore) Malone is best for custom, or an off the shelf program that works for standard upgrades and that means nozzles, turbo and what not. Sorry i can't be the help you need.
FYI he has a 2004 BEW, which are known to have cam wear issues. Some wear out sooner than others. Mine was 70%-80% at 166k miles, so mine will likely need replacement at the next TB interval.

Old December 22nd, 2017, 15:51   #20
Mongler98
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Race: 12mpg, Gandma:65mpg

well then, i did not know that was an issue, is there a fix for it? just a sfot cam? Maybe zinc additive? not many cars have issues with cams wearing down like that in a such short amount of miles.
Mongler98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2017, 16:23   #21
JDSwan87
Black Swamp Thing

Quote:
well then, i did not know that was an issue, is there a fix for it? just a sfot cam? Maybe zinc additive? not many cars have issues with cams wearing down like that in a such short amount of miles.
In a nut shell, as it has been described to me, they kept the same "length" cam and decided to make the lobes more narrow. They had to find space so the cam could drive the injectors also. That caused the special oil to be required (505.01). The problem was compounded because most owners and shops juat used "diesel oil they have used forever." I personally use Schaeffers S9000 Supreme and I have had good results.

On the BRM, the engine generation after the BEW, the cam wear got worse. I refer to BRM's as "the ole cam chewers."

Old December 22nd, 2017, 16:32   #22
1854sailor
Resident Curmudgeon

Fuel Economy: Great!

Quote:
...is there a fix for it?...
Franko6 has a hard chrome plated cam for these cars that a lot of folks have had success with.
Old December 22nd, 2017, 18:39   #23
jlcunlimited

TDI(s): 04 jetta tdi

Thanks for the help. I was already planning on servicing the trans and I will look into Franko6 for the cam.
jlcunlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2017, 09:48   #24
jjblbi
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 45 mpg S, 42 mpg W

I have had good luck with tectonics tuning for exhaust systems. http://techtonicstuning.com/main/ind...57dc5bc867401e
jjblbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2017, 13:21   #25
kermaGSW

The list of sponsors from 2016. We are always happy to support TDIFest

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread...difest+2016%5C
kermaGSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2017, 16:06   #26
1854sailor
Resident Curmudgeon

Fuel Economy: Great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermaGSW View Post
The list of sponsors from 2016. We are always happy to support TDIFest

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread...difest+2016%5C
Missed that, and I was there. Sorry! Other posts either edited or deleted...

Last edited by 1854sailor; December 30th, 2017 at 16:08.
1854sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2017, 12:13   #27
Franko6

When investigating turbos, cams and the associated parts, we appreciate your interest and support. As for support, I recall once attempting to support a site akin to the TDIs, and I was refused. The reason was, "....they already had enough sponsorship support." Wow... what a line. More like an ulterior motive prevented cross-purpose.

Anyway, we can say distinctly that our upgrade cam kits offer performance with longevity and we are able to provide cost-effective options. Our common sense approach dictates builds with great success stories. And we support our products with top drawer technical support. So, let us know how we can help.

What is new...once we get all the bugs worked out of our CNC, we have taken care of a real bottleneck in the business with digitized cylinder head porting and finishing services. A job that normally would take an entire day is performed with little intervention, in about three hours...4 if you include hand-finishing. Digitizing eliminates the question of repeatability, all done at our usual nominal cost.
417-232-4634
FranksTDIs@sbcglobal.net

'02 80k grey leather, 99.5 R.I.P 153k
'85A2 NA 375k, '91 A3 290k Always Silver, Always a Jetta
Franko6 is offline   Reply With Quote