www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old December 29th, 2017, 10:04   #1
matt.m

TDI(s): 2003 NB
Default Hard starting even when engine is warm

I got my car started this morning (about 2F). It started decently, drove down to the grocery store. The engine got up to operating temps. When I got back in the car to head home, the engine just turned over. It took 15 seconds of putting the accelerator to the floor and it finally started. Now, even if I stop the engine, let it sit for a minute, it will struggle to start when warm. I checked the EGR valve and it moves freely. No fault code. Any ideas?
matt.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2017, 11:11   #2
UhOh
Veteran Member

Pushing down on the accelerator won't do anything until after the engine starts.

Maybe your fuel is gelling?

If you have a clear fuel line (section of) going to your IP look to see if you're getting any significant amount of air in the lines.

My hunch is fuel gelling. Cross your fingers that that's it, otherwise your IP might be the culprit.

When was the last time the fuel filter was changed?
UhOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2017, 11:18   #3
OlyTDI
Veteran Member

TDI(s): '04 Golf

2 deg above zero? Got to be gelled fuel.
Malone Tuned, SBC Stage II Daily, Nicktane Cat 2 fuel filter, Dieselgeek bypass oil filter, Whitedog intake hose fix, A4 Defender skid plate, GLI Recaros, Check Temp III, Ventectomy, LED trunk lighting mod, Volx glass headlight lenses, VR6 front and wagon rear springs. Koni FSDs all around. FrostHeater with bumper mounted plug-in mod (details here).
OlyTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2017, 11:46   #4
matt.m

Last fuel filter replaced 10k ago. It's due for a draining. I don't have clear lines. Fuel *could* be gelling, but when I started the engine this morning for the first time, it started normally. It ran normally when driving. My fuel source adds kerosene usually around November, unless...they didn't. Filled up the tank yesterday. I had a new IP installed because the original failed about 50K ago. I've been pretty good about making sure the fuel filter gets changed when needed. Yes, I hope it's fuel.
Old December 29th, 2017, 12:42   #5
maxmoo
Veteran Member

Your sending unit/fuel pick-up, that is in your fuel tank, has a very small orifice that can and often will bridge/plug with debris, ice, and/or gelled fuel.
When this happens the vacuum greated by the inj pump trying to suck fuel will cause air to be sucked into the fuel system at the weakest link, usualy the thermo T at the filter. This all happens more easily in cold temps.
See....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRMTEAKsScE
maxmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2017, 12:55   #6
UhOh
Veteran Member

No clear line... Why oh why did VW ever decide to not do that on some cars? (daughter's wagon is that way and I've been cursing this for some time now- I think I may have one on a spare IP I have)

Blockages in the tank's fuel pick-up would, as maxmoo notes, result in sucking in air and that would be visible in the clear section of the fuel line to the IP. Disconnecting the fuel line from the filter and pulling vacuum (vacuum pump/tester is essential tool) can help identify if this is the source of the problem (clogging).

Also check that the fuel return lines aren't leaking, as this will also result in air in the fuel lines (air goes into the filter, if you have the stock filter setup [which uses the thermo-tee]).
UhOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2017, 19:55   #7
matt.m

Huge thanks for the suggestions. I'll have to diagnose when I return from FL; I'm fleeing the frozen north for a while. 9F for the high today. Eesh.