www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old December 28th, 2017, 20:49   #1
NevadaVandal

Default Timing Belt

Is there a timing belt replacement requirement for the 2001 Golf TDI at a particular interval?
Thanks
NevadaVandal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2017, 21:20   #2
STDOUBT

If my car was a 2001, and it recommends 105k, I'd probably do it at 90-ish.
I'm pretty paranoid about the TB.
Tell us about your golf dude.
http://www.vaglinks.com/Docs/VW/Main...e_Schedule.pdf
Old December 29th, 2017, 06:01   #3
jettawreck
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 52+ average lifetime '01

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaVandal View Post
Is there a timing belt replacement requirement for the 2001 Golf TDI at a particular interval?
Thanks
I believe the original 2001 TB interval was 80k miles (up from 60k miles in 2000 for a manual transmission, 40k miles for the automatic).
If it's changed on schedule and using the newer belt and large roller the interval has been extended to 100k miles. Most belt makers also have a time limit although none is mentioned in the service schedule in the owner's manual.
I still adhere to an 80k mile interval myself. I don't put a lot of miles on juggling between the two TDIs and the other vehicles. Also the shorter interval will probably only add one extra change in the expected life of my cars.

2001 Jetta TDI GLS Silver-current driver (salvage)permanently vented-Panzer Plate-Sprint 520s-ScanGauge-CheckTemp III-ZeroStart heater-CAT 2 filter
2003 Jetta GLS Black w/leather (New Project Car) fixer-upper w/broken TB
2004 Cadillac SLS (wife's)
1999 GMC Suburban (It's MN-you need one)
197? Shibura 2cyl diesel 4WD tractor-loader/brushhog (very handy unit)
196? International TD340 Dozer-w/Drott 4-in-1 bucket/back ripper attachment
jettawreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2017, 06:19   #4
jokila

Fuel Economy: 52/45/40

Quote:
Originally Posted by STDOUBT View Post
If my car was a 2001, and it recommends 105k, I'd probably do it at 90-ish.
I'm pretty paranoid about the TB.
Tell us about your golf dude.
http://www.vaglinks.com/Docs/VW/Main...e_Schedule.pdf
The 1.8T engine timing belt interval was 105K miles (at least on the Passats). Many, many of them failed before then, but with the 100K engine warranty they were covered unless the car was in the 100-105K twilight zone. The TDIs were not ever that long of an interval until 2003 (100K).
jokila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2017, 10:37   #5
UhOh
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaVandal View Post
Thanks
Yes, do it before it breaks!

Since no one can really predict the future with sufficient enough accuracy one can only go by the intervals given by VAG and the component manufacturers. A problem is is that the intervals have changed (because the components have changed), and it's hard to say what is currently in the car. Lowest common denominator would be the safest guideline to go by, and that is that the interval for the 2001 cars was 80k miles: my 2000's TB was changed during previous ownership and the dealer installed an older belt, one spec'd for the then lower mileage belt (I am pretty sure that at the time of the job the 100k mile belts were also available).

Keep in mind that there's also an age factor. Rollers and such aren't really affected by age BUT the belt IS. This is a bit less exact, but industry standards tend to suggest somewhere between 5 and 7 years.

If in doubt CHANGE it ("them" - belt and components AND water pump). Replacement after failure becomes a LOT more expensive.
UhOh is offline   Reply With Quote