www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old December 29th, 2017, 03:32   #16
JB05
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 43/41/40

My N75 was heavily contaminated with powered rust particles sucked in from the turbo actuator which I cut open. The diaphram was completely rotted out.
JB05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2018, 11:28   #17
Palka3

Fuel Economy: 47-52

UPDATE:
I replaced all hose lines. I now have color coded hoses (Yellow = vacuum; Blue = EGR; Green= n75) I replaced the n75 valve. The actuator on the turbo moved as designed. Vacuum applied to actuator operated the arm as designed. Yesterday I made a 500+ mile trip and everything was GREAT!...except for the last 60 miles. The engine light came on while on the interstate. No signs or symptoms of trouble...I just glanced at the dash and the MIL light was on. I lost all that power I was so proud of having earlier. Before the MIL light I could touch the (gas!) pedal and have instant response. Not now. It runs like a non turbo vehicle. One thing I have not changed or checked is the MAF sensor. I usually clean it as part of my 10K service. It's original (182k miles) I've read that they usually don't fail, they just wear out over time. I replaced the MAF once before but the new one caused the car to "jerk" every once in a while. I put the original MAF sensor back on and have been running on it ever since.

NEW UPDATE: I may have a bad MAF. I just started the engine and pulled the wire connector off of the MAF sensor. The engine DID NOT stop. I'll put a scanner on it, change the MAF is necessary and get back. In the meantime...any other ideas on what could be the culprit would be appreciated.
Palka3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2018, 12:23   #18
BobnOH
not-a-mechanic

Fuel Economy: 50/45/35

The code would give a clue.
Drive the car with the MAF unplugged, if it performs the same it could be the MAF, but other factors come into play.
Did the new actuator get adjusted?
BobnOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2018, 14:18   #19
Mongler98
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Race: 12mpg, Gandma:65mpg

what hoses did you use? brand, purchase location?

cheep hoses can react with oil, crimp under vacuum, and blow off or crack under boost.
Mongler98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2018, 15:49   #20
Palka3

Fuel Economy: 47-52

I used silicon hoses that were leftover from other projects. I used small tye wraps to ensure a good seal at each fitting.

UPDATE [/B][/B]: I replaced the MAP sensor that was causing hesitation with a new one. The car runs like a new car. I completed another 500 mile trip Monday without ANY problems except when I had to back off the "go pedal" a few times because I was doing 85+ on the interstate without realizing it. The power in this "little engine that can" is amazing.

The bottom line in my case is that the scanner code did not require me to replace the turbo like the part person stated but replace the N75 valve, hoses to the valves and MAP sensor.
Palka3 is offline   Reply With Quote