www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Fuels & Lubricants

Fuels & Lubricants Discussion all about Fuels & Lubricants. synthetic oil, conventional oil, brands, change intervals, diesel grades, gelling and such debated items like that. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed. This forum is NOT for the discussion of biodiesel and other alternative fuels.

Old April 2nd, 2009, 12:51   #16
rez311
Veteran Member

TDI(s): A3 TDI White
Fuel Economy: 45

... and did you replace the coolant temp sender? It's cheap and easy to change out.
rez311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2009, 05:03   #17
Variant TDI
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 36.4min/44average/56.4max. Recently improved commuting from 42mpg to 50mpg with 'new' driving habits and Scangauge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuburbanTDI
With one vehicle I added 1 cup of water even though it appeared that the coolant level was perfect. The light went out and never came back on. Problem solved.
Until that part of the probe gets mucked up. Your guess is right, in that you've just put coolant where it had never been, so when the signal is sent... the car sees it.

I used one of those 4 fingered "pick-up tools" and a 1" x 0.5" cutting of new scouring pad from a sponge. I didn't press super hard, but I took some time and was very thourough in cleaning off both probes.

And FWIW... I've not replaced my coolant sensor. It sends good info to the scangauge, and I've seen nothing to lead me to believe that the other, digital part of the sensor (the part that sends the overheat signal) is malfunctioning.

2002 Golf Wagon TDI - - 1996 GTI VR6 - - Flickr

Last edited by Variant TDI; April 3rd, 2009 at 05:06.
Variant TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2009, 06:37   #18
mrGutWrench
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 63 MPG/56/47 (2nd tank) '02 Sedab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Variant TDI
(snip) And FWIW... I've not replaced my coolant sensor. It sends good info to the scangauge, and I've seen nothing to lead me to believe that the other, digital part of the sensor (the part that sends the overheat signal) is malfunctioning.
__. Yupp, and so many of them are bad right out of the box, changing one that works is *asking* for a crap shoot. Leave it alone if it's OK.
Old September 24th, 2010, 19:50   #19
raspa

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuburbanTDI View Post
With one vehicle I added 1 cup of water even though it appeared that the coolant level was perfect. The light went out and never came back on. Problem solved.
I was having the same problem on my 2004 Jetta. I replaced the sensor but that didn't help. I then proceeded to clean the sensor probes on the reservoir tank and added some distilled water. problem solved.
Thanks for tip.
raspa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2010, 05:50   #20
Dimitri16V
Veteran Member

pull the connector from the coolant level sensor and short the contacts for few days. if the light never blinks again , clean the sensor tips.
don't go replacing the temperature sensor for no reason
Aleksander Prokhorenko , Charles Keating ,Russian and US special forces KIA against ISIS. RIP heroes
Dimitri16V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2010, 08:55   #21
jilted

yesterday was our first below 50 degree morning (south louisiana)
just started having this issue yesterday morning. then again this morning. first crank, alert came on, after first stop, next crank, no alert. checked the reservoir, its a little below MIN. I have had the car for 4 years and never had to add any but have fixed a few other things (new glow plug and rail, new injector harness, timing belt at 90k, etc).

so my question is: What coolant should I use? I read something about VW requiring a specific coolant.

thanks!

Last edited by jilted; October 5th, 2010 at 08:59.
jilted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2010, 04:42   #22
Variant TDI
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 36.4min/44average/56.4max. Recently improved commuting from 42mpg to 50mpg with 'new' driving habits and Scangauge.

Stock coolant (IIRC) is G12, any of the reputable online places will know. (Although if you're just adding a trivial amount, I just put in distilled water.)

Option for cleaning the coolant probes: Toothbrush. Preferably new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrGutWrench View Post
__. Yupp, and so many of them are bad right out of the box, changing one that works is *asking* for a crap shoot. Leave it alone if it's OK.
At 115k miles, my stock black coolant temp sensor started getting quirky. 2 mornings ago, it thought it was -40 degrees out, and kicked me into a high idle. Replaced it with a green one, and it's all good again.

2002 Golf Wagon TDI - - 1996 GTI VR6 - - Flickr

Variant TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2010, 00:04   #23
anar.632

Quote:
Originally Posted by saa004 View Post
When I start my 2004 TDI Jetta GLS and its cold outside, the temp light blinks after the engine has run a few run minutes and remains blinking. The Manual says the fluid is either low or too high. The fluid level is within the requirements (between low and high). Don't understand whats going on there. I'll turn the ignition off and start the engine again and the temp light doesn't come on on again. Does anyone have any recommendations here?

thanks
Scott
I have exactly the same problem in my 2002 Jetta 1.8T. U wrote this Thread a year ago. So i Hope ur problem had been solved since now. So what was the problem. how did u solve it?
anar.632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2011, 00:26   #24
tda2007

I actually prefer Howes myself. However, Stanadynes bottles are much more convenient so I actually refill them with 8 oz of Howes. Then I just dump the whole bottle in instead of having to mess with measuring it out at the pump. Frost heater makes a little homemade kit with 4 bottles plus gloves in a container. You could obviously do it yourself the same way but it's nice that he put it together. I just wish Howes sold 8 oz bottles...
tda2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2017, 17:14   #25
airportex

I thought I'd revive this because I was relieved to find others who had battled with this issue and were still alive and well. My 2007 Rabbit just now, 8:08 pm, 12/27/2017, 10 degrees F, responded with a blinking temp light when I started it. Despite a comfortably full reservoir and a temp gauge showing 120 degrees +or-, it is blinking. I will try the suggested tips and let you know how I made out.
airportex is offline   Reply With Quote