www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014)

VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014) Discussions area for A6/MkVI (2010-2014) Golf and Golf Wagons (Jetta Sportwagon in the USA).

Old November 17th, 2017, 22:12   #1
ricks
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 38ish mixed, 49 highway
Default Third Gear on Six Speed Always Stumbles

Even after the fix, when in third gear the car jerks a bit. It’s not major but annoying. Anyone experienced this and or have a fix? No other gears do this. Doesn’t matter if the car is hot or cold.

Last edited by ricks; November 17th, 2017 at 22:15.
ricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2017, 05:26   #2
ksing44
Veteran Member

My car stumbles with light throttle when there are changes in load, e.g., cresting a hill or going down hill. It does it in other gears but it's most obvious in 3rd gear. It's also a common complaint and it's been attributed to fueling changes by the ECM and determined to be normal operation for the car.

My car does not stumble under full/heavy load in 3rd gear. In fact, 3rd gear is amazingly strong and lots of fun. Bottom line, I'd say if your car only stumbles with a light load, then you're car is fine. If it stumbles during harder and steady acceleration, then you could have an issue.
2010 Golf TDI - Blue (BGM), 4-Dr, 6-M, Sunroof, Xenon, Dynaudio, Nav (RNS-510), Euro light switch, 9W7 BT, R Tinted LED Tail Lights, Monte Carlo 17" x 7.5" ET47 Wheels, 235/45/17 Tires, P3Cars Digital Interface, Sonniboy sunshades, CP3 HPFP!

Flickr slideshow
ksing44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2017, 00:12   #3
ricks
Veteran Member

Light load only. If I really get on the throttle it goes away. A very bizarre normal indeed.

Old November 21st, 2017, 03:30   #4
ksing44
Veteran Member

It's my understanding that it has something to do with saving fuel. For example, the way coasting in gear uses less fuel than coasting in neutral. It seems the ECM shuts down the flow of fuel in some situations and it can result in a stumble.

My car does it at the same places on my normal drives everyday. It's very predictable and clearly related to changes in load, e.g., cresting a small rise in one case and after a turn where I then go down a small grade and only lightly use the throttle in another case. If I go blasting down the hill or blast over and down the crest of the hill, then there is no stumble. The problem then is I'll be doubling the speed limit or more. Yahoo!

I guess smooth would be nicer, but it doesn't really bother me anymore because I know my car is fine and doing what it's designed to do. I was just afraid something was wrong with my car when the car was new, but then I read about it and found out it was a normal thing. Some people say it doesn't happen in their cars, but I think maybe they just don't encounter the circumstances when it's most noticeable.

Good luck with your car!
2010 Golf TDI - Blue (BGM), 4-Dr, 6-M, Sunroof, Xenon, Dynaudio, Nav (RNS-510), Euro light switch, 9W7 BT, R Tinted LED Tail Lights, Monte Carlo 17" x 7.5" ET47 Wheels, 235/45/17 Tires, P3Cars Digital Interface, Sonniboy sunshades, CP3 HPFP!

Flickr slideshow
Old November 21st, 2017, 09:05   #5
piotrsko
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 46 city/56 hwy so far wonder what the Golf gets

if you are coasting in gear or decelerating, then there is no fuel applied as it is unnecessary. coasting in neutral means the fuel is required to keep the engine idling.

mine only stumbles when it is in regen and when i bring the clutch up too fast and rpm goes below 800 where it promptly dies. usually only does that when i'm in rush hour on a hill.
piotrsko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2017, 11:38   #6
ricks
Veteran Member

Thanks guys. Will stop being concerned. Happy holidays.

Old December 7th, 2017, 15:12   #7
ttcheung

I am very glad I came across this post, as I thought it was an isolated issue. I have a KERMA TDI tune in my 2011 JSW 6MT, and the tuner and I have been going through iterations on the so-called stumble I experience during light load, most noticeably in third gear, at around 1400, 1700, and 2000rpm. At first, the symptoms were shuttering in acceleration, then his subsequent tunes have quelled the shudder to more of a quivering, similar to the effects of braking on warped rotors. I decided to go back to my original tune in the meantime, and one time noticed a SLIGHT quivering at 6th gear, 1400rpm, light load, up a hill. Kerma has briefly suggested a throttle motor that's going out, but again, i only felt this symptom once.

my $0.02
ttcheung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2017, 15:23   #8
ksing44
Veteran Member

I think I should add something I said in a different post that was related to changes after the fix (see quote below). In summary, fuel injections for emission control can also cause weird running behavior. You can see it if you monitor EGT, but won't know otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksing44 View Post
I think most of the reports about shudder and jerking have to do with more frequent fuel injection episodes to keep the car running cleaner. I can see it monitoring the EGT. When I feel a jerk or shudder, I glance over at the EGT, and sure enough there is a spike in temperature. Those spikes are clearly related to fuel being injected into the system. That behavior also explains why the mpg should be down compared to before the fix.

Flickr slideshow
Old December 7th, 2017, 15:49   #9
Zabel51

Fuel Economy: 5.8 mixed mileage year round

I have a 2014 JSW that was fixed by VW and a week later I got a Malone Stage 2 tune. Initially I had a similar stumble in third gear, light throttle opening 1400 to 1800 rpm. I contacted Malone about the issue, but got no explanation. Nice to see I'm not the only crazy one. The good news is that 3,000 to 4,000 km later the effect has gone away. The tune on the other hand is very satisfying.
Zabel51 is offline   Reply With Quote