www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs

VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs This is a discussion about MKIII-A3/MkIII Jetta/Golf (<99.5) and B4 Passats (96,97) TDI's. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old December 4th, 2017, 10:38   #6691
Steve Addy
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 97 Mk3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stromaluski View Post
A friend of mine bought 3 mk4 tdis and combined them all into one nice car. Ended up with an extra 11mm pump that he couldn't get to hold pressure. He didn't particularly want to get into it, so he simply gave it to me. I wasn't going to complain.

I've been slowly collecting parts to put a bigger turbo on my Jetta and am almost there. After seeing Matt-98AHUs post here, I decided to just toss the 11mm head into my stock AHU pump. Finally committed to it this morning and dove in feet first.

I was very surprised that I had to readjust my pump timing afterward. It was WAY off after swapping the head. Enough that the check engine light was on. I'm assuming that it's simply because I had to remove the support bracket off of the driver side of the pump, but not really sure...

Wasn't a HUGE improvement, going off of my ultra-accurate butt dyno; but certainly won't complain since it literally cost me $0 to do. I even had the pump head seal sitting around from the leftovers of a pump seal kit that I got from DieselGeek a few years back. Starts a bit easier, as well.
I had wondered whether there was a simpler way of adapting the 11mm function without all the adaptation at the bracket etc. This confirms my initial thoughts, that you could basically combine guts to get the bigger pump functionality.

Some of your limitation or disappointment might be due to injector restriction? Think of it as a hose nozzle, you put more pressure behind that but the opening at the end didn't change in size.

Glad to see you did this and succeeded. I have an 11mm pump that I can't decide what to do with. I have an extra AHU/1Z pump bracket I was going to have milled for the larger front but was never really excited about doing all this, I'm really happy not having anything but regular maintenance to do at this point. This makes the process of getting the 11mm pump much simpler.

Nice work!

Steve

You didn't poison the coffee, did you? Not anymore than I usually do.
Steve Addy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2017, 15:01   #6692
Stromaluski
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Addy View Post
I had wondered whether there was a simpler way of adapting the 11mm function without all the adaptation at the bracket etc. This confirms my initial thoughts, that you could basically combine guts to get the bigger pump functionality.

Some of your limitation or disappointment might be due to injector restriction? Think of it as a hose nozzle, you put more pressure behind that but the opening at the end didn't change in size.

Glad to see you did this and succeeded. I have an 11mm pump that I can't decide what to do with. I have an extra AHU/1Z pump bracket I was going to have milled for the larger front but was never really excited about doing all this, I'm really happy not having anything but regular maintenance to do at this point. This makes the process of getting the 11mm pump much simpler.

Nice work!

Steve
As I mentioned, all the credit should go to Matt-98AHU for his post earlier in this thread. I simply followed his footsteps.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.p...postcount=6267

My limitation is almost certainly due to my current setup. I am already on the verge of being over-fueled without the 11mm pump, as I currently have DLC1019s with a Malone Stage 3 and a stock turbo. So adding more fuel probably won't do a whole lot, except for create more smoke.
Old December 4th, 2017, 15:53   #6693
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

As posted above, I replaced the battery in my B4, formerly Jack (BRUSSELS BELGIUM here). I took the core to IDParts to return to the dealer. When I put it up on the dock I saw that Jack marked it when it was installed.

10+ years isn't too bad, especially since this car has sat a fair amount during that time. I'm going to miss Varta batteries.
Old December 7th, 2017, 10:25   #6694
thechoochlyman

TDI(s): 97 Passat
Fuel Economy: 47.5 daily, 51.4 highway

Today I replaced the leaking overflow hose barb in my billet coolant flange. I'm still running the first prototype I made, which doesn't leave enough room to fit a wrench around the barb. Therefore, I could never quite tighten it up enough.

Here's a great trick I just tried out to blow out enough coolant that it wouldn't leak when I took off the fitting. Put overflow hose in a jug, blow air into the bottle.

Wire EDM'd a 5mm hex all the way through the new fitting

And all done! I could really crank down on it this time.

1997 Passat 5 speed - No longer bi-tone
2.5" Straight-pipe exhaust ē CCV/EGR Deleted ē Malone Stage 3, 2.0 IQ ē Autometer Gauges ē Billet Stuff
Billet Coolant Flanges - Idler Pulleys - CCV plates - Window Guide Clips
thechoochlyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2017, 15:43   #6695
jdulle

Wow I can't believe that battery lasted 10 years. I usually get about 7 from most mid range batteries from napa or advance.
jdulle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2017, 19:25   #6696
Abacus
That helpful B4 guy

Fuel Economy: And the miles just keep ticking away

Well, I worked some on the brothers' B4 tonight, and it's a mess.

I removed the other strut:

And since this one was totally shot, along with almost all the hardware, I placed an order to IDParts who had the items delivered the next day.

But this I do not have a spare of:

And no, the B4 does not have ABS. In case some are wondering, it should have this in place:

So the new struts went together easily with my old wagon springs:

And we decided it was easier to remove the axle beam from the car to replace the mounts, which fell out.

And I put my brother to work cleaning up the mounts.

But ran into a little 'snag', the mounts on the axle beam were too crusty to trust. Even the brake lines were too crusty for my taste.

Which is a setback. Luckily I have a spare axle beam under revkev's spare parts b4, I just need to go get it, which I'll do tomorrow. I'll swap it with this rusted out piece of junk so he can still roll the car around. We were replacing the rotors/bearings and bushings anyway so there isn't much that needs transferring.

Never a dull day with a B4 around.

My brother is looking for another B4, however. He would prefer one with less rust and he'll use this one as a parts car. If anyone has one in decent shape they're willing to part with, let me know. This includes non-rust states near the left coast, but not necessarily on the west coast.
Abacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2017, 19:39   #6697
mech644
Veteran Member

I thought rust was original equipment on any B4?
2015 GHB SEL 1.8 tsi
2014 Touareg
mech644 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2017, 20:36   #6698
Steve Addy
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 97 Mk3

Wow Mark, I replaced my B3V rear beam axle and it wasn't that bad.

You're right not to trust that.

Steve

You didn't poison the coffee, did you? Not anymore than I usually do.
Steve Addy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2017, 05:45   #6699
steves96tdi

Mark, I've got a real nice GLX for sale, if you want to do a conversion!
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread...52#post5337952
Amsoil Dealer #206107
steves96tdi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2017, 07:03   #6700
Stromaluski
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abacus View Post
My brother is looking for another B4, however. He would prefer one with less rust and he'll use this one as a parts car. If anyone has one in decent shape they're willing to part with, let me know. This includes non-rust states near the left coast, but not necessarily on the west coast.
There's a few for sale down in my area. A friend went to look at the wagon and said it was a nice car, but wasn't what he was looking for. He bought an Audi Coupe Quattro instead.

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/c...360903978.html

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifi...php?id=2027101
Old December 10th, 2017, 16:30   #6701
ToddA1
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Dismal

Got fed up with the terrible range of the white box, so I finally pulled it down. I literally need to have the remote at the windshield to get it to respond.

Scratched my hands up pretty good, forcing them in areas they donít exactly fit. Added about 5í to the antenna and ran it up the a-pillar and across the top of the windshield. Range is marginally better, but not great.

Iím wondering if the roof is blocking the signal.... maybe I should have stretched it across the dash as the diy said. Felt like I wasted my time...

Depinned the starter wires at the alarm box and tied them together with stripped wire and taped them off. I donít want that stupid box failing leaving me to push start the car.

Finally investigated why the boost gauge would never return to 0... it would rest at 5psi. The LED that I installed was too long. Cut the base down and CAed it back together and all is good.

-Todd
ToddA1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2017, 13:31   #6702
nh nam vet
Veteran Member

Today I did not have to go to work, it wasn't snowing and the sun was out and the temps were above freezing here in New Hampshire. I deemed this a perfect December scenario to tackle B4 TDI issues in the garage.

My DD, which just turned 346K, had a rarely seen (and annoying) dash cluster CEL. "Glow Plug Monitoring - Intermittent" 01050 per VAG-COM. I had replaced the glow plug harness a long time ago, so I opted out for easy and ordered another genuine VW 028-971-766 harness from IDParts. Also, while I was in there I decided to replace my cracked and leaking oil, plastic crankcase breather tube, 028-103-491-J, probably also from IDParts or Jim Ellis VW. (Sorry, no pics; my old digital camera did not survive the bounce test off of my cellar floor a while back. I'm shopping for a new replacement now. Any and all recommendations are welcome. I'm still not that savvy with my Samsung Galaxy S7, so don't go there, please.)

To make life easier and create more room for me to work in, I removed upper and lower charge air cooler (intercooler) hard plastic tubes. I also emptied a couple of cans of Brakleen spray to clean up the area.

I had cut and soldered the glow plug harness previously to the harness because the original female connectors were toast. So I cut out that mess when removing the old GP harness. I did have some good size, compatible female spade connectors, so I soldered them onto the harness. I cut and slipped on some oversize heat shrink tubing and after reassembly, shrunk the HS tubing with an Aim-and Flame and tie wrapped the connectors snug.

Next, I installed the new OEM crankcase breather tube (with the 6 mm hex drive on a flexible drive ratchet down below), reinstalled the intercooler tubes, etc,etc.

After I fired the engine up, my CEL came back after a few minutes, so I guess I'm at a loss for ideas. I did not hook up the laptop with VAG-COM, but I'm just assuming right now that the GP monitoring intermittent is still the culprit. Oh well, if it runs and drives I'm still a happy camper. I believe Oilhammer once said that the TDI 1Z engine was first designed in 1973. Awesome German engineering!

On another note, I did find a couple of used left and right black front fenders on Ebay for $121 each shipped and they will be installed in the spring. BTW, new OEM left front fenders still are available from VW but no right front fenders. I was also looking for a good condition driver's door (handle and window irrelevant) on www.car-part.com; prices are all over the map, literally. I haven't pulled the trigger yet. Jeff
Old December 11th, 2017, 17:30   #6703
Abacus
That helpful B4 guy

Fuel Economy: And the miles just keep ticking away

Jeff, next time let me know and I'll ship out the terminal release tool for changing the glow plug harness. It'll insert right into the Orb of Death easily, no cutting and splicing needed.

If you're up in Maine sometime, look me up, I'll have a look.
Abacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2017, 05:17   #6704
ToddA1
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Dismal

The FM Bluetooth transmitter Iíve been using in the Rotbox has been getting bothersome. Either static has gotten worse or itís always been there, and suddenly bothering me, so I went with another Bluetooth device that plugs into an Aux port.

Pulled the radio and found out the aftermarket head unit uses RCAs rather than the 3.5mm female jack, that I was expecting. Ran to 3 different stores looking for an adapter, but only Best Buy had it in a kit, and I refused to pay $30 for it. Ended up ordering them from Amazon for $5.

This small project snowballed into fixing the ashtray and lighter lights, by retrofitting LEDS. Defrost switch needs to be fixed... probably tonight.

I need to install a trim ring around the head unit and the interior will be a 6.5/10.

Iíll be driving the B4, until the adapters arrive.

-Todd
ToddA1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2017, 06:51   #6705
Stromaluski
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abacus View Post
Jeff, next time let me know and I'll ship out the terminal release tool for changing the glow plug harness. It'll insert right into the Orb of Death easily, no cutting and splicing needed.
FWIW, I actually made a few terminal release tools from an old wiper blade. Use them a lot more often than I was expecting I would. Couple great threads on making them.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=4578560

http://www.passatworld.com/forums/b5...ml#post2276870