Possible Pierburg Connector Solution

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
After reading someone elses post on how the VW wires won't fit into the MB connector, I tried it myself and can confirm this problem. Here is a possible solution that can retain the OEM connector.

First thing is to cut the tabs from a barb shape to a tapered shape so the conector can be removed (look at the shadows).

Then dril a small hole on each side of the connector that corresponds to the 'bump' you created.

Then using a needle file or small razor knife, shape the round drill hole into a square one

The bump will now fit into the holes you created and because it is not barbed anymore, it can still be pulled off. But it does require pulling, so no worries about vibrating off.

Bear in mind that I did this very quickly and used an old connector, so I was not worried about looks. Take your time with the holes and it will look better than mine. I also have a POS digi cam, so the pics are not that clear either. I appologize for their quality, but you get the idea.

dzljet

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta
I've posted this once or twice but I guess maybe people just don't get the simplicity of it.

Step One: Remove old maf-
Then take your old bad maf, remove the U shaped friction connector from top flat side of sensor with a flat exacto type blade or even a razor (like the one's used for removing window stickers)

Step Two: Temprarily Install Pierburg-
Take the Pierburg maf and slide it into place, slide the connector over it and use a nail or other sharp blade (i.e. exacto knife) and scribe/mark via the square (hole as seen from above when you look at connector right after the locking tab) onto the Pierburg exactly where you will put the Bosch U shaped friction connector piece. Be sure to mark the sides very good and at least three sides are easily visible before proceeding.

Step Three: Remove Pierburg
Take some Super Glue and place the small U shaped friciton connector removed from the Bosch (POS) and place it on the scribed lines and glue it in place. Leave this for several hours, overnight if possible.

Step Four: Install the Pierburg Sensor-
Install the Pierburg sensor, connect factory VW connector onto it, marvel as it snaps into place then go for a test drive and check it out with a VAG-Com, make sure you have done EGR mod and I would adjust IQ to about 3.5 to 4.5 for some really good motoring, especially if you have Upsolute chip.

No low end lag, no CEL.

A complete factory look with the method I've decribed.

ugo44

TDI
2000Jetta GLS TDI, Red
Ditto!!!!!!! I cannot imagine an easier or more effective method to install the Pierburg unit. Realy easy if you are carefull & it works. It "looks" right too. And, what a treat to plug this thing in and have power again - more power perhaps? It feels better than new. And, my cel went out within just a few miles. Perfect!
Thanks!!

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
Here is another solution that I did today. It looks 100% OEM and is just as easy as my first suggestion, if you have the proper tools.

First step, same as above, is to cut the 'barbs' into 'bumps'

Then remove the inner plastic retainer to allow room for the grinding

Using my Dremel tool with a shaving bit, I made grooves on the inside of the connector that correspond with the bumps on the MAF

Test fit and grind to fit. Put all the pieces back together and here you have a 100% OEM looking connector that is quite solid. Mine actually snaps into place and requires a good tug to get it off.

goro

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf TDI GLS, Arrow Silver
All I did was use a wire nippers to blunt the barbs on the Pierburg. The OEM connector fits over the nubs on the Pierburg nicely.

tdijim

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 1996 Passat TDI
After buying a Pierburg, my mechanic said I can't use it because my 2000 Jetta tdi is actually a 99.5. Has anyone heard anything on this? Jim

Dave_D

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat Titanium Beige six speed manual & Jetta, 1999.5, Tornado Red
After buying a Pierburg, my mechanic said I can't use it because my 2000 Jetta tdi is actually a 99.5. Has anyone heard anything on this? Jim
Shhhhh! Don't let my 99.5 know! My Pierburg is working fine here.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
>>After buying a Pierburg, my mechanic said I can't use it because my 2000 Jetta tdi is actually a 99.5<<

Assuming you got the Pierburg for the A4, you should consider changing your mechanic!! The A3's used a different Pierburg unit, but the Mercedes Pierburg works just fine on the 99.5-2003 cars... of course, with the new, lower price of the real TDI MAF ("rebuilt") it's almost not worth bothering...

Yuri.

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
Depends - OEM - lasts MAYBE 10K miles
Pierburg 20K miles and counting...

YMMV, of course.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
>>YMMV, of course.<<

Well, our 2003 TDI's up to 89,000 miles, and the MAF's still doing fine... great milage, great pickup, and the car pulls nicely in 5th gear....

Yuri.

dubCanuck1

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, MKII/2002 ALH TDI (In progress)
Exactly the information I was looking for. I'm in the process of doing an ALH swap and don't have a MAF. I saw the Pierburg on a few sites and it was cheaper than the Bosch (and apparently way better too). Does someone have a real cheap supplier in Canada (preferably Western Canada)?

Thanks

cattlerepairman

Veteran Member
TDI
none
dubCanuck1 said:
Exactly the information I was looking for. I'm in the process of doing an ALH swap and don't have a MAF. I saw the Pierburg on a few sites and it was cheaper than the Bosch (and apparently way better too). Does someone have a real cheap supplier in Canada (preferably Western Canada)?

Thanks
Look at the price for the Bosch original here: http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/roseland/VWPartsA4.htm

For 80 bucks you may as well go original. The Pierburg was a great alternative when the Bosch cost $200 and the Pierburg was $80.

DieselSmoker

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Jetta
Am I missing something? I just threw the pierburg in my 2000, and the factory connector, although took a little effort, slid right down over the pierburg and is snug in place without cutting or shaving anything...