Quote for timing belt change for my MK7 Golf TI $2500!

CALL911

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI
So $450 for the WP and $940 for the entire job? Must be just replacing the belt and WP, no other parts, sounds about par with reducing maintenance costs.
That quote was directly from the VW dealer. They said that price includes everything needed for the timing belt to be replaced properly and this included a new waterpump.

I got a 3rd quote today to do the whole job at another shop where I know the diesel certified mechanic and he quoted me $775 for the whole job parts and labor, and he said all the parts would be OEM directly from VW. I may go this route.

$390 for just the waterpump?

We shipped a few of these sets to our high mileage US customers. These are priced at $375 shipped, and that's including INA timingbelt set and OEM VW waterpump.
Again, that was directly from the VW dealership with their prices for an OEM unit. I am sure this should be the most expensive one I could buy out there. Unfortunately by having a shop do the work for me, all the shops I use mandate that the shop gets the parts so they can warranty the work. I understand this as if I bough junk parts (I am NOT saying at all that yours is, but just for example) and if those junk parts failed the shop can't warranty anything.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
What exactly is a "diesel certified mechanic"? I only ask because I cringe when I hear or think people equate our TDIs to a tug boat or a road grader or a bulldozer or something. They are Volkswagens first, diesels second.

The only diesel certs I know of are largely if not totally skewed to engines that are as far from a Golf as a washing machine is from a yard sprinkler. So the guy who knows a Detroit Diesel Series 60 inside and out does not necessarily know squat about a Volkswagen.

CALL911

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI
What exactly is a "diesel certified mechanic"? I only ask because I cringe when I hear or think people equate our TDIs to a tug boat or a road grader or a bulldozer or something. They are Volkswagens first, diesels second.
The only diesel certs I know of are largely if not totally skewed to engines that are as far from a Golf as a washing machine is from a yard sprinkler. So the guy who knows a Detroit Diesel Series 60 inside and out does not necessarily know squat about a Volkswagen.
I don't disagree with what you are saying at all. Most mechanics at actual shops here have to be ASE certified. This is a basic certification that most get. Apparently to be legal to work on diesels, it is a whole other process that goes a lot more in depth of knowledge and application of both big and small Diesel engines. Having said this, other than TDI's mostly VW a few Audi, I don't know if many small diesels there really are running around. Certainly less than diesel trucks which is likely what he does most with. This is also where the VW dealer may have the advantage likely seeing more VW diesels over my friend at the shop. However trust goes a long way and I do trust my friend that if he says he can work on it and get it done right that he will (and there are things he has said no to also). Whereas the VW dealer will say yes to everything and not necessarily do a good job.

Not sure still entirely the route I will go for getting this done, but I have some time to figure it out.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Hey, Peter. It looks like you and Frans need to talk... :D
We got it covered. Our primary pump supplier, Geba, has these in stock. We will offer a pump from VW, since some customers want it, but I doubt we'll sell many.

Last edited:

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
I have an OEM pump brand new in box if you'd like...I'll let it go at a slight discount! It comes with a new solenoid as well already attached and o-ring. I thought I needed when doing my CP3 as I had a slight coolant loss that turned out to be a torn hose when I did my downpipe install. The pump was purchased from the dealer here for under $300 (the one I purchased is actually a reman, it was only $100 after core charge). Can confirm the mount has to come off to remove the belt, I only needed to release tension fortunately. Very easy job though and the CR crank lock and cam pin work as well on the CRUA. This job will be very easy when the time comes, easier than an ALH with no fuel pump to time! Few hours labor tops, so your quote was likely pulled from thin air.

CALL911

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI
I have an OEM pump brand new in box if you'd like...I'll let it go at a slight discount! It comes with a new solenoid as well already attached and o-ring. I thought I needed when doing my CP3 as I had a slight coolant loss that turned out to be a torn hose when I did my downpipe install. The pump was purchased from the dealer here for under $300. Can confirm the mount has to come off to remove the belt, I only needed to release tension fortunately. Very easy job though and the CR crank lock and cam pin work as well on the CRUA. This job will be very easy when the time comes, easier than an ALH with no fuel pump to time! Few hours labor tops, so your quote was likely pulled from thin air.
I appreciate the offer and thank you for the advice. I do not feel confident enough to tackle this on my own and I love my 2015 TDI and want to keep taking care of it for a very long time to come so for this one I am going to have a company complete the timing belt change for me. Likely either the dealer or another shop where my friend works. Both will warranty the work, but both will only warranty the work if they purchase the parts via the dealer, so I won't be able to take you up on your offer.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
I thought the CRUA engine timing belt interval was 150k?

Either way, it should not be anywhere near $2500. I know the water pump is expensive (variable displacement), and the aftermarket may not yet have a good source for all the pieces needed to do the job.

It does not look that much different than the CKRA engine, to be honest. 4.5hr labor for the water pump (which requires timing belt removal), so you just need to add up the price of the parts.
I thought the Mk7 uses the CBEA engine? Anything over $1000 is still crazy expensive. I had Brian change my TB when we did the CP3 upgrade at 199K (last changed at 110K, and I felt better doing it at 90K than 130K). My kit cost about $300 from dieselgeek; is the Mk7 kit really that much more?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
I thought the Mk7 uses the CBEA engine? Anything over $1000 is still crazy expensive. I had Brian change my TB when we did the CP3 upgrade at 199K (last changed at 110K, and I felt better doing it at 90K than 130K). My kit cost about $300 from dieselgeek; is the Mk7 kit really that much more?

FYI CBEA is the '09 one year engine code before the CJAA in the 2010-2014 Jettas/Golfs.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
Yep, CRUA is the Mk7 motor very similar to the CKRA in the Passat from '12-'14. Peter looks to be piecing together a kit, I imagine should be very similar to the CKRA price.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
The CRUA isn't really that similar to the CJAA or CKRA. Lots of components are different, in addition to it being in a different platform, so parts that are more paired with the car instead of the engine (like the air filter) are also different.

Having said that, timing belt component prices seem pretty reasonable. Despite what people are posting here, we've been quoted $103 for a reman water pump from VW with a $50 core. We've been quoted similar pricing for new aftermarket pumps. The new water pump is $411 from VW.

oilhammer

TDI
It is definitely its own engine for sure, but it is closer to the CKRA than the CBEA/CJAA, even though that really does not say much. The CKRA and CBEA/CJAA are very different from each other, too.

Sad that they are all (here) kind of orphans now. The ALH had the longest run, and that was only six years from the oldest to the newest, and that was not even in all the models in the first year.

Volkswagen has really screwed this market on diesels bad over the years, and now screwed themselves AND us even worse. :(

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Topic drift: I have my stock OEM water pump from my CJAA, I asked for the parts when the indy ship did the job but I really only wanted the belt, you think I could get a core value for it?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It is definitely its own engine for sure, but it is closer to the CKRA than the CBEA/CJAA, even though that really does not say much. The CKRA and CBEA/CJAA are very different from each other, too.
Sad that they are all (here) kind of orphans now. The ALH had the longest run, and that was only six years from the oldest to the newest, and that was not even in all the models in the first year.
Volkswagen has really screwed this market on diesels bad over the years, and now screwed themselves AND us even worse. :(

Those with knowledge power and connections on this board just need to come up with a TSI - TDI conversion kit. I'm sure someone could crate up everything needed and shipped across the pond.

The MBQ platform should make it leagues easier that days of yore.

oilhammer

TDI
Those with knowledge power and connections on this board just need to come up with a TSI - TDI conversion kit. I'm sure someone could crate up everything needed and shipped across the pond.
The MBQ platform should make it leagues easier that days of yore.

Except that it would be against Federal law, and then would most likely get quagmired in litigation and who knows what else. You can legally do swaps if the engine being used was offered in that model car. Otherwise, you may run into issues with inspections, licensing, insuring, selling, etc. And just because your area does not have some sort of inspection now, doesn't mean it won't in the future. That happened where I live.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
I have all manuals, but cannot get at them right now. As soon as I can I will check and see what it says. I wonder if they just might have used the previous intervals and not have changed the numbers for the 2015's.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
FYI CBEA is the '09 one year engine code before the CJAA in the 2010-2014 Jettas/Golfs.
My mistake. That's what I get for posting in the wee hours of the morning. I meant to say EA288. I honestly didn't know the engine code offhand.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI

With the irony that everyone cheated, but VW got caught (first, anyways).

The stealership claims that VW will produce this platform again in the future. Any comments on that? I personally doubt it, although I was astounded at getting 46.5mpg average, even when most of my commute today was between 80 and 90mph (150-ish miles overall). A few annoyances over the Mk6, but all in all, it seems like a great vehicle/platform.

paperthin

Veteran Member
TDI
15 A3 TDI
The CBEA was also used in the Audi A3, all years sold here.
My 2015 A3 TDI is CRUA. I am in Canada and I am not sure if that makes a difference.

I checked my manual and it clearly states changing belt at 205k kms. I can post a pic if required. I come to this forum for my A3 because it is a twin of the golf.

oilhammer

TDI
Sorry, yes up until the non-Sportback A3, which I assume is the same for Canada. They didn't call the hatch version of the A3 the Sportback here either, since that was the only version they sold here.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Except that it would be against Federal law, and then would most likely get quagmired in litigation and who knows what else. You can legally do swaps if the engine being used was offered in that model car. Otherwise, you may run into issues with inspections, licensing, insuring, selling, etc. And just because your area does not have some sort of inspection now, doesn't mean it won't in the future. That happened where I live.

Understood what you're saying and it would be a slipper endeavor but a man can dream can't he?

Also DPF deletes are against federal law as well ;) where's your live free or die mentality?

oilhammer

TDI
Oh trust me, if it were up to me.... LOL.

I just felt the need to say that, so anyone who was contemplating something like this knew going in.

We had some clown here once, that for reasons I could never comprehend, took out a 4.6L V8 from his 2000ish Mustang, and put some giant stone age iron beast with a carburetor on it in its place. And expected it to pass inspection. :rolleyes: