Thinking about selling but is it worth anything? 06 dsg with half a million miles!

newlitemotorist

Veteran Member
TDI
06' Jetta TDI dsg, 445,000 miles and counting!
You read that right! This car is approaching 500k miles (452,330 actual) and is still a joy to drive. Obviously I have kept up on maintenance. I use only quality parts and while the exterior shows its age, there is no rust to speak of and the interior is nearly perfect.

I wanted to put out a feeler to see if it's even worth selling or if I should keep it and motor on to the big 1 million mark. The issue is, I recently purchased a new vehicle which means this car is driven very little at this point. I feel it would be better off on the road rather than in my driveway but I have no clue what it's worth.

While this car owes me absolutely nothing, in no way do I feel it is used up. In fact, it has been a true testament to what proper maintenance can do and since it is structurally sound, I know it will live as long as one so desires.

So what do you guys think? I know there are many variables to consider but think best case scenario. Good Michelin as3 tires, freshined up front end and new front wheel bearings, mk6 r suspension, mk7 gti front and rear brake upgrade, recent cam has less than 50k miles and looks new, new Bosch starter, new ngk glow plugs and the list goes on. I have a spare low milage dsg transmission and luk dmf stored away as a back up. Spare pd130 injectors, spare pd cylinder head in excellent shape, aluminum spindles front and rear plus lower control arms off of a passat b6, spare ecu loaded with malone stage 2 tune plus an unlimited vin vcds hex-can cable.

Front end is peppered pretty good, windshield is cracked and both fenders have dents. Doors and back half are in very good shape.

What's a realistic number? Should I keep it just to have it sit?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Mattyoctavia

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk5 golf TDI DSG.
Wow 500,000 that's good to hear! There's life in my 220,000 old girl yet! How has the car been? Original engine and transmission? I had to have new clutches in my dsg at 176,000. Can you post up some pics of the car? Would be great to see it!

Mattyoctavia

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk5 golf TDI DSG.
Personally I would keep it and go for the million. Some manufacturers have been known to give their customers a new car at a million

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
It would be great to have a good running second car for those times a Saturday project goes south on one of your newer cars. Also, Diesel fuel does store a lot better than gasoline.:cool:

I'm keeping mine until it does something stupid like committing suicide into the back of a pickup.:eek:

Last edited:

newlitemotorist

Veteran Member
TDI
It would be great to have a good running second car for those times a Saturday project goes south on one of your newer cars.
What?!? This doesn't happen to me, lol...never:eek:.

I agree with you, I just hate storing cars outside in the elements which is where this will need to stay. Things like rotors and other suspension bits fall victim to rust when not in use. I would like to keep it but I fear it would waste away if I did. If I only had a bigger garage...

To answer some questions, yes this car has the original engine and transmission. Car is a package one. It has been treated to 2 turbochargers (first one lasted over 200k, second one was faulty and replaced at 300k), 3 camshafts, 5 timing belt kits, 1 dual mass flywheel, 3 sets of wheel bearings, 1 set of e-brake cables, new golf r shocks and springs at 430k, replacement factory drive shaft on drivers side, and many things I'm forgetting.

The interior has been completely replaced over the last two years save for the door cards. New headliner along with a, b and c pillar covers, new door handles all the way around, new drivers door window switch and surround, new (very lightly used) drivers seat, full Wolfsburg interior upgrade: leather steering wheel, leather shift knob and boot, leather wrapped e-brake handle and leather arm rest. Full set of floor liners recently added but had all weather vw mats before that which protected the carpet. It has the under seat cargo trays which are very handy! Recently replaced the clockspring to restore horn function and I fixed the aux heater core this past spring.

There's more to this story but I will have to return after work. :D

James & Son

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
Sell it for what ever you can get now.

You will regret it when you find you didn't know the rocker panels are rotted out under the rock guard ( check to see if the rock guard is loose around rubber inserts. If any inserts are missing, rust has started under rock guard).

You have to drive the car almost every other day depending on the weather to prevent rotor pitting. Missing or partial splash guards will increase pitting dramatically because it is harder for the warm rotors to dry especially in the winter under the pads from splashing from the opposite wheel.

I park on a slight slop where it will roll slightly after stopping and leave it only in gear. This helps to prevent the rust etching and pitting under the pad.

newlitemotorist

Veteran Member
TDI
Sell it for what ever you can get now.

You will regret it when you find you didn't know the rocker panels are rotted out under the rock guard ( check to see if the rock guard is loose around rubber inserts. If any inserts are missing, rust has started under rock guard).

You have to drive the car almost every other day depending on the weather to prevent rotor pitting. Missing or partial splash guards will increase pitting dramatically because it is harder for the warm rotors to dry especially in the winter under the pads from splashing from the opposite wheel.

I park on a slight slop where it will roll slightly after stopping and leave it only in gear. This helps to prevent the rust etching and pitting under the pad.
I appreciate the tip but fortunately my car is rust free. This is the main reason why I feel it still has plenty of life left!

bobthefarmer

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Jetta Mk 5 192K miles; 2012 Car of the Year, Passat Tdi SE+Nav in blue nightgown, shod in 18 inch heels
Great news for an Indiana Car!

I appreciate the tip but fortunately my car is rust free. This is the main reason why I feel it still has plenty of life left!
I, too, have experienced winters and mine is rust free. I'm afraid my son's 2003 rotted out a front fender, but that's such an easy swap.

aj164

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta DSG pkg2
The interior has been completely replaced over the last two years save for the door cards. New headliner along with a, b and c pillar covers, new door handles all the way around, new drivers door window switch and surround, new (very lightly used) drivers seat, full Wolfsburg interior upgrade: leather steering wheel, leather shift knob and boot, leather wrapped e-brake handle and leather arm rest. Full set of floor liners recently added but had all weather vw mats before that which protected the carpet. It has the under seat cargo trays which are very handy!
Wow - I thought I was the only one who bothered to replace interior parts like that. On all four doors I have new door handles, new trim on the door pulls, and new electrical switches. The dash air vents and the rear air vent are new. I replaced the seatbelts with black seatbelts from a different car. (They look great with the beige interior.) The front door wiring harnesses are new due to the breaking wires issue. ...and probably other stuff if I think about it.