Dieselgate, The Canadian Edition

GD

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Highline DSG
Is anybody here still trying to go in for the Gen 1 fix? Seems they're getting appointments in the US but nothing yet for Canada.
This will take a little time as VW Canada is busy translating the gen 1 fix info into French in order for Dept of Transport Canada to rubber stamp it.

Rod B

TDI
2010 Golf TDI replaced with 2018 Subaru Forester XT Ltd
This will take a little time as VW Canada is busy translating the gen 1 fix info into French in order for Dept of Transport Canada to rubber stamp it.
Only in Canada you say, what a f--king pity.:mad:

Lucsar

Veteran Member
TDI
Returned to VW: 2015 Passat Highline DSG EarlyLease Termination
Happy things worked out in your situation NSTDI. Please don't talk $hite here when you don't have the facts. VW owners:
-confirm with the dealer's office manager (not just your rep) if you can endorse your settlement cheque towards trade-in (new or used)
-if you're not satisfied w/ the answer above, inquire why, and ask what the dealer's bank policy as that's what's driving the ultimate decision
-take necessary steps based on this feedback to lineup your financing options
-ensure your terms are in writing in the "offer to purchase" contract not just verbal
Good luck everyone...
I must say, my process went extremely well. My appointment started almost 1 hour later than scheduled but, the Ricepoint Rep kept apologizing over and over. I got all worked up over nothing; I was a little uneasy because it was an Early Lease Termination...it all went down smoothly, no inspection whatsoever !! Just an odometer check and VIN # check...that's all she wrote.

CDN_TDi

TDI
2002 Jetta TDi (sold) | 2011 GSW TDi (turned in)
I must say, my process went extremely well. My appointment started almost 1 hour later than scheduled but, the Ricepoint Rep kept apologizing over and over. I got all worked up over nothing; I was a little uneasy because it was an Early Lease Termination...it all went down smoothly, no inspection whatsoever !! Just an odometer check and VIN # check...that's all she wrote.
Great to hear Lucsar!

crashtested

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Q5 TDI Technik, 2014 GSW CL 6MT (RIP), 2004 Jetta GLS 5MT (sold), 2010 GSW HL 6MT (buy back)
This Saturday @ 12pm she frees up the space in my driveway. RP rep just called to confirm...

Government ID
Registration
Offer Letter - not required
Bill of Sale - not required

Anything else anyone has required when showing up?

Last edited:

vinny6737TDI

TDI
13PassatTDI HighLine
I had a very nice interaction with 'Sophie' in Longueuil, PQ(Duval VW).When I made the deal for my 'New' 2013 PASSAT TDI, I needed a computer to change my election of benefits. They were super friendly and Sophie called SpiceLine directly and I was switched over in about 10 mins to the Trade In option.

uchu

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat Highline - in VW's possession
Well, the appointment this morning went well. Early time, not too many people at the dealership at 9. VW buyback rep was friedly. The whole process took less than 10 min. Main thing, he checked odometer reading and VIN. Asked to turn the engine on and that was that. Cheque is in the bank, and another should be coming soon from VW Finance for the balance they owe us on the last car payment.

It's been a pleasure, everyone.

Last edited:

skromfols

Veteran Member
TDI
2017 Jaguar XE TDI, 2014 Sportwagen TDI
I got my emission modification completed yesterday. Since I wasn't going to be home to take the JSW in I went by the dealer the previous day to make sure that they had everything that they needed for my wife to take the car in. They assured me that everything was ready and they had the parts on hand and all of my information in the computer. I got a call from my wife mid morning asking if I remembered the password that I used when I originally filed my claim because they couldn't process the claim without getting into my internet claim file. Since I was out of town and had no access to my computer they finally allowed the process to continue anyway. They did provide her with a loaner (a nice Jetta sedan) because they expected the process to take 5 or 6 hours and we live 90 minutes from the dealer. They called her around 4:eek:o PM and said that if it worked for her she could just come in the following day to pick up the car instead of fighting traffic in late afternoon. Very thoughtful, and it's what we did.

I only have about 90 miles on the car since the modification, but I really haven't felt any difference in power. I have the standard transmission so I was able to check out the acceleration in each gear and they all felt fine. They said that my pay out will be sent in 2 or 3 weeks, which is no big deal. And I'm going to be working with Malone to get a tune back on the car. I previously had a Malone 1.5 and loved it, so I'll go with another 1.5 or maybe the Malone 2.0 tune.

CarlosF

TDI
2010 GSW TDI DSG Blue Graphite
What a bunch of a**holes. I have sent them photocopies of my registration 5 times and they claim they are all illegible. Last time was an 11x14 photo that I mailed to them. Once this nightmare is over I will send a letter to the Attorney General of Ontario and inform them of the shenanigans going on. I'm sure there are others with the same problem.
It was the same with me until I took pics of the docs with a digital camera and uploaded them then they were almost instantly accepted.

joey003

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Highline
Noticed this truck hauling what I think is bought back TDIs. They were all used, some with winter tires on. Few of them marked on the rear windshield with the word “Processed”

Kind of sad to see. Wonder where they’re going. This was QEW, Niagara bound.

Petra's cousin

TDI
Mk VI TDI Golf Wagon
I bought our car last summer so haven't really been too wound up about getting my documentation in order and through the system until I finally saw the repairs approved in the states (as a newer owner, I can only get the fix and the fix money). Set up an account and let it sit until I got an email last week that they were waiting on copies of my registration and licence. Logged in and found I couldn't upload them for some reason, so just fired them in the mail last weekend. I was surprised when they were approved and an offer letter email showed up mid week.

I'm not going to get the fix yet, going to wait at least a few months until there are more fixes in the wild and the general feel for how they are working. Mostly, I'm curious whether it will fix the low RPM 2nd gear stall that has baffled me as a 30 year manual transmission driver (and also shows up randomly in 1st gear, I've wondered whether its due to the hill assist system).

VW dollars will be spent on a malone tune and a new set of shocks for sure.

John

Lucsar

Veteran Member
TDI
Noticed this truck hauling what I think is bought back TDIs. They were all used, some with winter tires on. Few of them marked on the rear windshield with the word “Processed”

Kind of sad to see. Wonder where they’re going. This was QEW, Niagara bound.

One of the service writers/advisers at vw dealer I used to go to told me there's a massive storage area parking lot near Niagara Falls that's being used to hold cars that have been returned/bought back. Yes, it's extremely sad to see. Perfectly good cars being taken off the road fir no good reason , and who knows what fate lies ahead...

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
I bought our car last summer so haven't really been too wound up about getting my documentation in order and through the system until I finally saw the repairs approved in the states (as a newer owner, I can only get the fix and the fix money). Set up an account and let it sit until I got an email last week that they were waiting on copies of my registration and licence. Logged in and found I couldn't upload them for some reason, so just fired them in the mail last weekend. I was surprised when they were approved and an offer letter email showed up mid week.

I'm not going to get the fix yet, going to wait at least a few months until there are more fixes in the wild and the general feel for how they are working. Mostly, I'm curious whether it will fix the low RPM 2nd gear stall that has baffled me as a 30 year manual transmission driver (and also shows up randomly in 1st gear, I've wondered whether its due to the hill assist system).

John
Never noticed the stall issue on both of our former TDIs. I can't recall if you can turn hill assist off with the menu, I never bothered, but I'm pretty sure if you can't, you can do it with VCDS. You'd at least know if it's that.

BarrieCommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI Highline 6MT
I am sitting on the fence still....at stage 12 of the claim process. I have a 2015 Jetta Highline 6MT with 99000 km. Nothing really jumps out at me in terms of trade and I have no other car to drive to make it easy to choose buyback. I get 1100km along the 400 to and from work. Anyone else in the same situation as me?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lucsar

Veteran Member
TDI
I am sitting on the fence still....at stage 12 of the claim process. I have a 2015 Jetta Highline 6MT with 99000 km. Nothing really jumps out at me in terms of trade and I have no other car to drive to make it easy to choose buyback. I get 1100km along the 400 to and from work. Anyone else in the same situation as me?

Sort of... Got a close friend whose got a 2011 Jetta Highline w/auto trans. About 140,000 kms on it. He absolutely loves the car, doesn't want to part with it. He feels the same way" nothing out there that'll touch it in fuel economy, and what can he buy as the equivalent with the buyback money ? Yep.. Not many choices... Did I mention he's as cheap as they come...

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
Perhaps an opportunity for you to pick up one of the unsold 2015s (if there are any left) or a used 2015 with much less mileage, for very little money, thus projecting your TDI years farther into the future.

BarrieCommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI Highline 6MT
Perhaps an opportunity for you to pick up one of the unsold 2015s (if there are any left) or a used 2015 with much less mileage, for very little money, thus projecting your TDI years farther into the future.

I checked for 2015s when they were discounted $7000. Sold out everywhere I looked, no duh. Used 2015s with 6MT going for $27k which makes no sense to buy either.

By the looks of things, seems like majority of 2015 owners are keeping their cars or selling them privately for profit due to demand.

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
I checked for 2015s when they were discounted $7000. Sold out everywhere I looked, no duh. Used 2015s with 6MT going for $27k which makes no sense to buy either.

By the looks of things, seems like majority of 2015 owners are keeping their cars or selling them privately for profit due to demand.

Figures. I guess it's "keep it and take the sorry money" after the two-step fix.

We're happy with our two TSIs. They still get great fuel consumption for gassers, both have manual transmissions, and the pull pretty good as well. We don't drive anywhere near enough to justify the cost of a TDI now.

Sure would be nice though, for those who really need/want one, if VW could apply the fix to the unsold 2016s as well.

lb71

TDI
2013 Jetta TDI Highline Manual w/ Nav
I have a colleague with a 2011 Golf TDI automatic transmission. Don't know the trim level. But she only has around 50,000 km on it. Her buyback offer was over 16K, and she thought that was generous given the age of the car. I told her she could probably get more selling it privately, but she doesn't have the time to bother. She will be returning it mid September. She was looking at a newer Golf, but was so turned off by the indifferent sales rep, she ended up purchasing a Subaru.

od1

TDI
mrk7 golf

John
the second gear stalling is common in TDI cars, they are just geared in a way that they stall at low speed in second

Petra's cousin

TDI
Mk VI TDI Golf Wagon
the second gear stalling is common in TDI cars, they are just geared in a way that they stall at low speed in second
Ok, that makes more sense to me - it took me more than a few months to figure out what speed to do a rolling shift into 1st gear when slowing for neighbourhood corners.

Never noticed the stall issue on both of our former TDIs. I can't recall if you can turn hill assist off with the menu, I never bothered, but I'm pretty sure if you can't, you can do it with VCDS. You'd at least know if it's that.
The plan is to eventually turn off hill assist when I get around to picking up a cable from Rosstech (I have an old cable from my B5 Passat, but it doesn't work on the newer cars) - as it is, I usually just wait until the car starts rolling before letting the clutch out unless there is traffic behind me, and if there is traffic, I find myself slipping the clutch more than I want to. Interestingly, the 2nd gear stalling - when the RPMs dive, they crater and no amount of gas pedal will recover RPMs like they would on a normal gas engine, even with clutch pedal dancing to try to recover.

Update to my VW buck spending - Malone tune, shocks (I have Golf R springs sitting in the garage waiting), VCDS cable and air conditioning repairs. The last one might get me to do the VW update sooner, its amazing how much heat the front window in our wagon creates from the sun, especially with a black leather interior, and cash to repair has been extremely tight with the job market in the oil industry these days.

John

Scratchy101

Veteran Member
TDI
Returned 2012 Golf TDI, now 2015 Mazda CX-5 & 2018 Nissan Leaf SV
I have a colleague with a 2011 Golf TDI automatic transmission. Don't know the trim level. But she only has around 50,000 km on it. Her buyback offer was over 16K, and she thought that was generous given the age of the car. I told her she could probably get more selling it privately, but she doesn't have the time to bother. She will be returning it mid September. She was looking at a newer Golf, but was so turned off by the indifferent sales rep, she ended up purchasing a Subaru.
That does not compute/
I got over $23K from VW for my 2012 Golf with 81K kms.

od1

TDI
mrk7 golf
Ok, that makes more sense to me - it took me more than a few months to figure out what speed to do a rolling shift into 1st gear when slowing for neighbourhood corners.

John
In second gear they stall at a high enough speed that I am able to to drop it into first and do a rolling start on it

Petra's cousin

TDI
Mk VI TDI Golf Wagon
In second gear they stall at a high enough speed that I am able to to drop it into first and do a rolling start on it
Ok, that's funny, I never thought of dropping the clutch to restart since I was always taught that was a big no-no in newer cars with catalytic converters.

Update - it took under 10 minutes for approval of my signed agreement and waiver, now I just have to wait until VW Canada reads the US newspapers and approves the Gen 1 fix from the EPA.

John

MrNet42

TDI
Comfortline Sport 15
I have a '15 comforline "sport" 6MT, approx 90k km
They offer me : $25325 ( including the sorry money )

I do approx 40k-45k km a year.
Got paid by $ km for my job.

I have hard time to find a replacement that will be as good as the Jetta.

I found the interior of the GSW , to small , my daughter 5'7'' don't have enough room on the back seat.
The new Tiguan... is hummm.... not sure...
The Atlas is expensive...

I will maybe wait for the diesel Mazda CX-5 ... will have to test drive it.

I will probably wait until Nov/Dec before taking a decision...

Scratchy101

Veteran Member
TDI
Returned 2012 Golf TDI, now 2015 Mazda CX-5 & 2018 Nissan Leaf SV
Does that include the cash payment? With the payment she was coming in around 22k.
Yes, that was including cash payment.
As for fuel operating costs for the life of my TDI it worked out to:

80,222.8 All Time Total km Tracked

• $1.30 Avg Price/Litre
  • $63.47 Avg Price/Fuel-up
  • $0.077 Avg Price/km
  • $6,092.85 Total Spent