Blown Turbo? 05 BHW TDI Passat

Dr. Greenthumb

Veteran Member
TDI
05' Passat GLS 95' Merc E300D
It seems my turbo took a big dump over the week end . Earlier in the week the high pressure hose popped off the intercooler intake . Got CEL and put it back on. Yesterday driving on the highway, I heard a pop and then no real power. Got to where I was going and shut it down. Tried to start again, it started and ran. When I tried to move it huge clouds of white smoke came out and smelled horrible - like sulfur. At idle, no smoke.

What do you think? Blown turbo or something else?

I cannot check CEL or look under the hood. The car needs to be towed and it won't be here until later.

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
1. Check your turbo hoses again.
2. Check your oil level. If it is low or nothing on the dipstick then you may have blown the seal on the turbo and dumped oil in the exhaust
3. check your coolant level. EGR cooler could have dumped coolant into exhaust
4. pull the O2 sensor to see if is covered with oil or coolant

edk68

TDI
2005 Passat wagon
Another blown turbo?

I'm a newbie and don't see how to start a new thread, so am tacking on to this.
I own a 2005 Passat GLS TDI wagon with 241K miles on it. This last weekend I was headed home on I-5 when I suddenly lost boost. The shop replaced the MAF sensor, then discovered a hole in the intercooler-turbo hose and replaced it (I'm now in for a bit over $800), but I still have no boost. Now they want $2200 to replace the turbocharger, which I don't have; so I drove it home and parked it. Q: What should a good turbo cost me, and where should I look for one?

johnboy00

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon, 2004 Jetta, 2003 Jetta wagon
I'm a newbie and don't see how to start a new thread, so am tacking on to this.
I own a 2005 Passat GLS TDI wagon with 241K miles on it. This last weekend I was headed home on I-5 when I suddenly lost boost. The shop replaced the MAF sensor, then discovered a hole in the intercooler-turbo hose and replaced it (I'm now in for a bit over $800), but I still have no boost. Now they want $2200 to replace the turbocharger, which I don't have; so I drove it home and parked it. Q: What should a good turbo cost me, and where should I look for one?
Bring it here: http://fixumhaus.com/

They will diagnose it properly. The hole is common, the Maf was probably good and if everything worked before, it would seem unlikely that you need a new turbo. What you need is a new mechanic!

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Turbos rarely fail on these cars. The only ones I have ever had to replace were ones that starved for oil after the chain blew up.

edk68

TDI
2005 Passat wagon
On a different thread, Windex said: "The N75 and/or a bad VNT actuator are much more common (and cheaper) causes."

Very interesting, but I have no idea what those are. Can you enlighten me?

Are there things I can do to check whether the turbo is ok? Getting the car to Portland is likely to be difficult.

oilhammer

TDI
The BHW has the simplest vacuum system of all the TDIs sold in North America. That makes troubleshooting the VNT system easier. Less places for vacuum leaks.

The part that makes it NOT so easy is the location of most of the bits, specifically the N75 valve. The N75, the vacuum reservoir, and the tees and such are all mounted on a bracket down low in front of the engine, that is not easy to get to without a little digging.

But with a proper scan tool, you can easily check the VNT movement in Basic Settings with the engine running. It will cycle the N75 on/off in ~5 sec stages so you can just sit and watch the VNT actuator moving up and down.

If it doesn't, then you first have to check source vacuum. The source comes from the vacuum pump, same pump that provides boost for the brakes. So if the power brakes work, you at least know that part is good.

Locate the small vacuum line coming off of the booster vacuum tube back near the firewall. This goes across to the check valve (often called the yingyang valve, as it is black and white). Make sure that valve is working correctly. Should allow airflow one way, not the other.

From there, you'll need to remove the air cleaner assembly and the air inlet tube from the air cleaner to the turbo inlet, to gain good access to the rest of the vacuum system. You will have to unplug the crankcase breather heater on the breather tube and get that out of the way too.

Then you can look down towards the front of the engine, near the electric fan, and sort of see the rest of the vacuum system, and there is a hose coming back up and on to the VNT actuator.

The bracket that holds everything is held to the block with 2 Allen bolts. With a shallow socket, you can remove those bolts and lift the bracket and the sound deadening block over and out of the car, bringing the vacuum harness along with it.

The vacuum vent is the one that goes back up into the air cleaner lid. If there was a breech in this part, it would not cause a lack of boost, however it would over time allow unfiltered air to get into the vacuum system and clog up the N75, which WOULD cause problems.

Once you get the assembly loose, carefully check it for any obvious leaks, especially if the breather has been allowed to weep oil for a while. This can cause the molded vacuum fitting to swell and come loose.

Then with a vacuum pump, and a known-good chunk of vacuum hose, apply vacuum to the VNT actuator, it should pull up... and hold vacuum.

Of course, while you have this all loose, you can stick a finger inside the turbo inlet and see if the shaft is all flopping around loose. I doubt it is, but it is certainly possible.

Let us know what you find.

Dr. Greenthumb

Veteran Member
TDI
Oil levels are fine but I did end up with a little puddle of oil under turbo. I will check vacuum fittings, but all lines were replaced when camshaft was replaced. Bad vacuum can cause it to blow smoke? it's going to be easier to get at the vanes to see if there is wiggle.

Dr. Greenthumb

Veteran Member
TDI
No oil in air filter
Oil draining intake near intercooler

Fault Codes
17978 - Engine start blocked by immobilizer.
P1570-000 Intermittent

16485 - Mass Air Flow Sensor (G70)
P0101-000 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent

16683 - Boos Pressure Regulation
P0299-000 Control Range Not Reached

Any ideas?

Dr. Greenthumb

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm pretty sure this isn't a good thing

I did put vacuum on the VNT and it barely moved. Could it be jammed with debris? I don't think any turbo bits could make it past the intercooler.

The turbo lady has spoken

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Ka-Bam!

Did you hear any noise? That must have made a heckuva racket when it let go.

oilhammer

TDI
Nope, you sure don't!

I have a good used one if you want to go on the cheap. Customer upgraded to a bigger one, this one had about 120k miles on it and was working OK when I took it off.

Smokerr

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat Wagon GL,2005,Silver
Just an FYI. Our turbo went fairly early on. Under 20k as I recall.

They did replace the N75, then the whole turbo. As it was interment I suspect it was the actuator mechanisms.

Have to chew on the symptoms, sudden power loss under accelerations as I recall. Will check paperwork.

BBB129

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon BHW 2004 Jetta 5 spd BEW - 99.5 jetta 5 speed - 1982 Mercedes 300D Manual 4 spd
Believe my Turbo went on me?? Help?

So yesterday I noticed a little extra boost noise, barely any i'm fairly sensitive to things with motors.
last night running to the hardware store, it became much louder, figured a hose popped all the way off, but it was dark, so first thing this morning I check my hoses. one was partially out, ok cool I changed the "O" ring on it and put it back up.

well slightly less noise but still an OBVIOUS turbo issue, well at this point I needed to be at an important performance....so I start driving there, and while on the highway I notice it lose power for a second, then it seems to lose nearly all of its power, lots of smoke, no loud banging or anything. smoke seemed black, No CEL I parked it and quickly check VCDS only 1 fault and its related to glow plug circuit.....

I jump guns so I already ordered a Used turbo...maybe I should diagnose first but im in a time crunch of course.....any help or advice would be great, (i'l read more here) when i can get back to the car I will start it and check VCDS. Its just the lite version and i'm not very familiar with it but i'll play around.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
You should never buy any parts until you are 100% sure what the problem is. This is how people spend a fortune on something that isn't needed. Don't start throwing parts at it and hoping it will fix it.

BBB129

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon BHW 2004 Jetta 5 spd BEW - 99.5 jetta 5 speed - 1982 Mercedes 300D Manual 4 spd
Welll here’s the thing, it was cheap, so I don’t mind having a spare, I do know that tho I was joking with my brother when it happened, assuming the problem leads to problems, and for all I know it was a brake system issue (ITS NOT) but it was worth it to me to get a potential part on the way for the time it may save later, also if I have a spare I’ll never have turbo issues ha. Any link or tips on removal? I’m very confident it’s the turbo, noises, loss of power, etc...

I have VCDS Lite and couldn’t find a way to actively monitor boost...
Any help is great thanks!

BBB129

Veteran Member
TDI
You should never buy any parts until you are 100% sure what the problem is. This is how people spend a fortune on something that isn't needed. Don't start throwing parts at it and hoping it will fix it.
I’m certainly not going to replace it until it’s confimred....been there lol

oilhammer

TDI
Turbochargers rarely fail on these. What IS common is a split in one of the four charge air hoses. I'd say that is about 11ty times more likely.

BBB129

Veteran Member
TDI
It’s the turbo, some particles under the o2 and the inlet impeller? Is in rough shape, if I figure out how to post pics I will, very minimal debris in exhaust but what should I do to clean out my system of it? Read the intercoller would likely collect it all, should I flush that? Any advice always appreciated. Thx!

BBB129

Veteran Member
TDI
Also need to locate the o ring for pass side charge line that goes into the metal pipe up front....what I gathered part number wise says it’s 43.95mm which is much too small....

BBB129

Veteran Member
TDI
Turns out my charge pipe? Has been punctured and need a new one, anybody A have one or know the part number. The one that mates on the turbo smaller end on one side.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
That turbo still looks ok. It had ingested some dirt over the years but doesn't look destroyed. The charge pipe that goes our from the turbo is a very expensive at the dealer. You can get them on Ebay and maybe Amazon but they are aftermarket know offs that might not last too long if you are on full boost all the time....BUT they are cheap ($50). I have one of them on my car but I drive it easily knowing it's a fragile part. Has it on my car for 3 years.

BBB129

Veteran Member
TDI
thanks for the replies! well perhaps it LOOKS ok, to me it doesn't and the bearing definitely ISN'T alright, i can feel a catch in spots, so I have the "new" one ebay $230 shipped, real happy about that, I also ordered an oem charge pipe from uk and an aftermarket on ebay for expediency (then left town for 10 days lol) the oem is hammered i'm gonna run the aftermarket. I also drive like a nanny so it should be good....

my concern/question is how easy should the new one spin? if i push some air through it should it glide/spool for a long time after i remove air flow? thanks again!

you were right oil hammer, looks to me like somebody pinched it when installing at some point, very weird damage, but it did cost my turbos life.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A pinched charge pipe didn't cost the life of your turbo. Lack of lubrication did. Don't try spinning the replacement turbo without any oil in the bearings or you will case damage. The bearings need oil pressure or at least a little bit of oil so they have metal on metal contact. Spinning it by blowing on it won't test anything. What you want to see if that if move freely with you try to spin it with your finger tips and that there isn't too much free play in any direction.

BBB129

Veteran Member
TDI
A pinched charge pipe didn't cost the life of your turbo. Lack of lubrication did. Don't try spinning the replacement turbo without any oil in the bearings or you will case damage. The bearings need oil pressure or at least a little bit of oil so they have metal on metal contact. Spinning it by blowing on it won't test anything. What you want to see if that if move freely with you try to spin it with your finger tips and that there isn't too much free play in any direction.
I think you misunderstood/I wasn't clear, when I say pinched, what i mean is that the pinch caused two 1" gashes in the charge pipe, IM a motocross guy and tubes "pinch" often enough...... not that it was "kinked" and yeah I only put a tiny bit of air through it, like 40 psi through an air nozzle at 12" away, I also pre oiled it before installing, as I didn't want a dry start of course.

I imagine it was the two large holes in my charge pipe that eventually cost me the turbo no? I don't think i've ran her low on oil...one time near the end of an oil change interval it was pretty low on the dipstick tho, need to watch that for sure.....tubro is in but after two weeks she did NOT want to start, looks like ill be doing that fuel prime whatever its called gasket soon...no leaks to the ground from it yet..THANKS AGAIN GUYS!