Gen 2 Fix Approved

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
Yes, it would be nice to have people come back and post their post-fix results, not only fuel efficiency, but also performance and DEF consumption.

mikew85120

TDI
2014 Passat SE TDI
Gen 2 fix

Just scheduled the fix. I will repost with handling, fuel consumption and other changes

Flyboy777

TDI
2012 VW Passat TDI W DSG
Please do. I'm keeping mine and am doing the fix and would like to know before I do. Thanks. Also my cel is on for nox bank 1 and I'm wondering if I need to have them fix (replace) it for 1500$ cad before they will do the recall fix that would be a bummer as after the fix the entire emissions system will be warranteed.

Fastbird

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL, 2015 Sportwagen SEL
Please do. I'm keeping mine and am doing the fix and would like to know before I do. Thanks. Also my cel is on for nox bank 1 and I'm wondering if I need to have them fix (replace) it for 1500$ cad before they will do the recall fix that would be a bummer as after the fix the entire emissions system will be warranteed.
Talk to your servicing dealer. Mine called me today to get the claim number from me and also told me a new sensor would be installed in the exhaust. Thinking NOx as it's pertinent to the fix.

boomer1

TDI
2013 TDI Passat
Got my notice from VW yesterday and am scheduled to have the fix done on June 21. I'll relay my results on here to the group after it is done.

markm102

TDI
2013 Passat SE
Got my appointment for next week...along with a few other recalls listed for my 2013 Passat TDI SE. Anxious to see how the car is affected. Literature I received is downplaying any performance changes. More AdBlue use is noted. Also have a fairly substantial road trip in July that will tell the tale. Currently about 500 miles a week averaging about 42mpg. Lets hope post-fix mpg. is comparable.

Skimax

Veteran Member
TDI
97 B4 variant(retired at 330K), 2000 B5 1.8T passat retired, 2013 SE (buyback5/17) 2015 SEL, 2015 E-Golf SEL sold March 2019, 2018 Volt LT and a 2007 PRHT MX5 for fun
I'm wondering if it was just a coincidence that the gen 2 fix became available so soon after the new 2015 TDIs were made available for sale and then mostly sold. If it had been the other way around we might have had our 13 SE fixed and kept it. VW might have thought they could quickly get rid of the new 2015s to those of us who really like the TDI but weren't sure if/when a fix would be available for the 12-14 Passats. Doesn't matter to us now as we love the new 15 SEL we're now driving. Good luck to those who are getting the fix, I sincerely hope that it goes well for everyone with no issues.

Flyboy777

TDI
2012 VW Passat TDI W DSG
Talk to your servicing dealer. Mine called me today to get the claim number from me and also told me a new sensor would be installed in the exhaust. Thinking NOx as it's pertinent to the fix.
I will do thanks. I'm baffled. The fix for gen 2 Passats is just a 1hr software upload. Why are they replacing the nox on your car?

Fastbird

Veteran Member
TDI
I will do thanks. I'm baffled. The fix for gen 2 Passats is just a 1hr software upload. Why are they replacing the nox on your car?
Dealership told me that it was being replaced as part of the fix. I'll verify this on monday.

On another note, has anyone looked at what is actually covered under the extended warranty in the packet? I just got my packet today and was FLOORED by what they're covering.

Entire Exhaust after treatment system

ENTIRE fuel system

EGR system

Charge Air Temp Sensor and Mass Air Sensor

Turbo and damper

OBD system.

That's the three biggest ticket items I can think of (DPF, Turbo, HPFP) and they just got extended in my case for another 4/48 as I'm already over 119K. That's a solid 2 1/2 years worth of use for me that I have a pretty solid piece of mind about now. Pretty pleased about that.

mikew85120

TDI
2014 Passat SE TDI
Also covered

We have a 2014 Passat with 39000 miles, they extended our warranty for 10 years from the original in-service date. That gives us roughly 7 years extended warranty.

"Additionally, the engine long block warranty shall cover the engine sub-assembly that consists of the assembled block, crankshaft, cylinder head, camshaft and valve train."
The BEST part. "Conflicts concerning the warranty are to be resolved in favor of the consumer"

Dealership told me that it was being replaced as part of the fix. I'll verify this on monday.

On another note, has anyone looked at what is actually covered under the extended warranty in the packet? I just got my packet today and was FLOORED by what they're covering.

Entire Exhaust after treatment system

ENTIRE fuel system

EGR system

Charge Air Temp Sensor and Mass Air Sensor

Turbo and damper

OBD system.

That's the three biggest ticket items I can think of (DPF, Turbo, HPFP) and they just got extended in my case for another 4/48 as I'm already over 119K. That's a solid 2 1/2 years worth of use for me that I have a pretty solid piece of mind about now. Pretty pleased about that.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
Got the "fix packet" in the mail today. Not doing it, will turn car in Dec. of next year.

Lex Tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat
Yes feeling better about about the extra 48k of covered driving, will hold out till the last possible date to fix and then will be covered from that point forward. If i have any issues coming up after that time i would feel more than comfortable proceeding with a tune and a delete.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
I got my packet, covered to only 120k, so that sucks... my local dealer couldn't schedule me in as they are unaware of the gen2 fix-:confused:

Flyboy777

TDI
2012 VW Passat TDI W DSG
I am a canadian NMS Passat owner and am keeping my car and getting the "approved emissions modification" the letter issued to canadian customers for the gen3 fix (gen 2 pamphlet has not been issued yet for Canada but I assume it will be similar to gen 3) covers a warrantee statement that covers similar things but has this concerning clause:

" The Extended Emissions Warranty covers all components which are replaced as part of the emissions modification and any component which can reasonably be impacted by effects of the emissions modification."

The term reasonably impacted is subjective and I'm not sure who's interpretation it is but I'm asssuming the dealer's. Granted the incentive is going to be for the dealer to want to grab the work and get paid the money by VW but I'm sure they have to answer to VW so I'm wondering in all practicality how much would actually be allowed under warrantee when the gen 2 fix is software only. So I'm unsure a person will be able to claim a engine, hpfp, dpf etc in actuality for free (on vw) thoughts people?

Fastbird

Veteran Member
TDI
Crap, I just noticed the last page of my packet included a separate recall issue that's being fixed on my car. This is what they were telling me about: "Inlet Air Box Housing Snow Flap Replacement & Oxygen Sensor Inspection/Replacement 2012-2014 Model Year Volkswagen Passat 2.0L TDI (Gen 2)"

Sorry for the misinformation there as to the potential of a NOx sensor replacement.

Last edited:

Lex Tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat
I got my packet, covered to only 120k, so that sucks... my local dealer couldn't schedule me in as they are unaware of the gen2 fix-:confused:
reread the statement, you will fall into the 48,000 mile or 4 years of additional driving camp. This is why i will be waiting until the end of the period to get the fix done....

dak503

TDI
2013 passat se
Bringing my 2013 SE in tomorrow. Im kind of skeptical on how smoothly this fix is going to be. the dealer asked me to leave my car all day. Because the ran into some hiccups on the last car.I guess im going to be the guinea pig. Last time i had my car at the dealer they messed up the install of the heater core.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
sounds like its a full reprogram of the engine ecm and also the DSG- as long as the battery doesn't go dead during the upload it should be all good :D

Fastbird

Veteran Member
TDI
I was in and out of the dealership in under 45 minutes today, and that included the snow flap and checking the Oxygen sensor.

Only drove it home, but on initial impressions, I didn't notice any added engine noise, but I DEFINITELY noticed a flare on the first to second shift. Almost like it's hesitating. That will take some getting used to.

I'm going to top up before I go to work Wednesday night, then I'm driving about 650 miles to NJ. I'll report back on economy on Thursday night.

mikew85120

TDI
2014 Passat SE TDI
2014 Passat SE TDI

We go in for the fix at 1000 hrs tomorrow. They want me to leave the car but I think not. Will let you know first impressions.

d2freeman

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
Had the update done this morning, only difference seems to be the transmission shifting later and holding the gear a little longer, gas mileage on my 87 mile trip home was same as before 49+ mpg.

dak503

TDI
2013 passat se
Had my 13 passat in for the fix today. Did anyone else have to have a 3 way call with the dealer and VoA. VoA wanted to make sure i approved the fix before they would give the software code to dealer. Also i needed to give my claim# to dealer. invoice stated snow flap replacement and software.02 sensor didnt require replacement. So far i noticed the car shifts around 3000 rpm in first and second and all other gears shift around 2200 rpm. And while driving on the highway going between 80 and 90 mph my scangauge was reading between 650 and 700 degrees. i think thats a little higher then normal. Engine sound is slightly louder at idle.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
I was the first gen 2 23U4 update for my dealer, I called ahead and had a long wait time and had to give my claim # over the phone in order to keep my apt as they were not aware of gen 2's getting sent in this week- I got the feeling they were in contact with vwoa while I was on hold. I also had to give the claim number again at the dealer- was completed in 2 hours with zero bs. I noticed that The car now drags shifts above 2k even at 1/16th throttle downhill- gone are the nice early torquey shifts at part throttle- yet once in a gear it still chug a lugs 4th gear 1,200RPM at 30mph uphill threw my small rural town- I was hoping the new software would hold 3rd at 30 as it vibrates the car but o'well the update was well worth the $6K. I am also interested in how the 23U4 compares to the turbo failure fix 23N5 during warmup cycle :)

Last edited:

mikew85120

TDI
2014 Passat SE TDI
2014 Passat SE TDI

I had to contact VWoA from dealership to get the codes for my fix and dealership verification. Well it took about 2 hours to get the fix. Dealership test drove car for approx 10 miles. The engine noise at an idle has increased but not a lot. At 68mph the tachometer was showing 2000 with cruise control on, before, the pointer was just a bit above 2000 with cruise control on. I drove about 25 miles and did not feel any difference in pickup.

We go in for the fix at 1000 hrs tomorrow. They want me to leave the car but I think not. Will let you know first impressions.

Tom in PT

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat sedan - SOLD; 2013 Passat DSG; both purchased new
I had the fix yesterday, no difference in mileage: 47 miles one way, mostly highway (55 mph), 53.1 mpg there and 53.0 coming home, which included the technician test driving.

I could not notice any substantial change in driving characteristics or engine noise.

My car has only 21,570 miles and I wanted to get the fix done ASAP to maximize the warranty coverage, which for me will be 10 years from in-service date.

The dealer told me they HAD to do the additional snow flap/air box recall included with the emissions recall notice or else they would not be able to complete the emissions recall; first they told me they did not have the parts for the snow flap recall then they looked again and found it. Suggestion: make sure the dealer has the parts for the snow flap recall before you bring in for the emissions fix in case you get this run-around.

mikew85120

TDI
2014 Passat SE TDI
2014 Passat SE TDI

We had the fix yesterday, it is now 2238 hrs(1038 PM) I just received an email that my check is at Chase Bank. And at midnight the funds will be cancelled I do not have an account at Chase! NOW WHAT? You can bet I will be on the phone to VWoA first thing in the morning.

I had to contact VWoA from dealership to get the codes for my fix and dealership verification. Well it took about 2 hours to get the fix. Dealership test drove car for approx 10 miles. The engine noise at an idle has increased but not a lot. At 68mph the tachometer was showing 2000 with cruise control on, before, the pointer was just a bit above 2000 with cruise control on. I drove about 25 miles and did not feel any difference in pickup.

Fastbird

Veteran Member
TDI
So, I am an hour into my road trip. My fuel mileage is abysmally low. Only showing tank endurance of 780 miles. Struggling to get over 44.4 average on the display. Car feels like it is struggling to maintain speed. Having to use a lot more throttle just to hold 65 miles per hour. Not very pleased right now.