What did you do to your MKIV today?

earlallen10

TDI
2004 Jetta GLSTDI, Pumpe Duse
On the '04 Jetta TDI (188K miles) in the last two weeks: struts, mounts, boots, bumpers, axles (Raxles), LCAs, ball-joints, tie-rod ends, sway bar bushings and links, shocks, mounts boots and bumpers and finally yesterday an alignment.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
Isn't the majority of diesel, gasoline, kerosene, etc manufactured from Dino-pud?

Sent from my One using Tapatalk

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
Got my yearly PA safety inspection, no emissions testing for diesels.
While up on the lift checking the front end, Dwight discovered the intermittent dragging sound that's been bugging me.

We dropped the skid plate and found the heat shield that covers the inner starboard axle end was loose. A pair of fender washers on each
side of the plastic, snug up the pair of bolts and mystery sound gone!

gmenounos

Vendor
TDI
'99.5 Golf GLS, '01 Jetta GLX Wagon (TDI conversion)
Reattached the front right sunroof drain tube to the sunroof on the wagon. Installed a W8 overhead console and microphone.

TLDR:
About a year ago I replaced a couple of wires between the radio and the monsoon amp that were broken somewhere, preventing the amp from turning on. I noticed while running the wires that the sound insulation under the carpet was soaked. That led me to suspect the sunroof drains, which I had never cleaned out during the almost 7 years we had owned the car. (At some point we received a recall notice for the drains but didn't act on it because they seemed to be draining just fine.) Inspecting the nipples inside the front doors, I noticed that they were both installed upside down! Why, I don't know. At some point in the past, the PO had gotten the car repainted so maybe they were taken off and then reinstalled wrong. So I took them out and inverted them, discovering that the tubes are pretty short (thanks VW!). I had a lot of trouble on the passenger side getting the tube back into the nipple as I had accidentally let the tube get pushed entirely inside the pillar. I eventually pulled it out of the pillar, put everything back together and then had a mysterious water leak on that side every time there was a really heavy rain. You would think I would have dealt with this a lot sooner but we had a major drought all last year so it didn't actually start happening until over the winter and it was so long after the nipple fix that I didn't think the fix caused the leak.

It was a real pain getting the A-pillar cover off to drop the headliner even though I have the official VW tool. I'm not crazy about working around airbags either. Then I had to order the replacement A and B pillar metal clips from VW because you're not supposed to reuse them. Broke the little plastic airbag label off the B-pillar because somewhere on Vortex it said that there was a screw underneath that. Well, not true for a 2001 wagon it turns out.

While I was in there, I removed the other A-pillar and installed a W8 overhead console and an Enfig MIC-VW1 microphone, which is made to fit perfectly in the factory location in the overhead console. I had previously installed a Dension Gateway Lite BT bluetooth adapter but had procrastinated hooking up the microphone wire because I heard that removing the A-pillars is such a pain on cars with curtain airbags.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
I honor your patience.

I despise interior work. I had to do rear shocks on a dodge suv, and had to kill the entire interior panels, seats, pillars, in their special order, to get to 1 nut on each side.

I hate it, one year car it's lift straight up, next year it's pull straight out, 2 years prior it was a combination, etc etc. So much can change from one year to the other, not to mention one make to another. On top of the fact of breaking plastic and one time push pieces.

Then if the interior is white, be care not to leave grease monkey prints....

I hate it! Open the hood for me....

Sent from my One using Tapatalk

underwhelmd

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Beetle
The 13mm nut came off the wiper motor while in use on a rainy day with 350 Km to go on the trip. Thankful for rain-X that day. It's fixed now.

Also, the emergency brake cables came out of the compensator behind the arm rest. Reset them and adjusted the lever action.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
Adding lubricity to fuel is not needed, and is personally a waste of your hard earn cash.

bajan
Only if you can guarantee that the diesel fuel you use has a maximum wear scar rating of 460 microns or LESS. US diesel is allowed a maximum rating of 520 microns. Unfortunately even CARB diesel specifications allow this excessive rating.

Could you please tell me the brand of diesel you use that is guaranteed to have a maximum of 460 microns? Is it a local brand or a national brand?

Last edited:

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
from North Dakota State extension service-
Ultra-low Sulfur Diesel Fuel Affects Lubrication. ... However, the process used to reduce the sulfur content in diesel also reduces the fuel's lubricating properties, resulting in increased wear on the various parts of the engine's fuel injection system.”
I use 2 products (winter,summer) from FTTF, a few oz. per tank, not expensive, it was hard to find a place to buy it.

gmenounos

Vendor
TDI
Normally when replacing front windshields, the a pillar upper clips never get reinstalled.

bajan
The clips are there to keep the pillar cover from becoming a missile should the airbag deploy. That's why I took the trouble to buy new clips and install them.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

red16vdub

Veteran Member
TDI
03 JSW 5spd
The clips are there to keep the pillar cover from becoming a missile should the airbag deploy. That's why I took the trouble to buy new clips and install them.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
I understand the reasoning behind the clips, all I'm saying is the majority of replacement glass places don't reinstalled that's all.
BTW, my cluster is still working beautifully. Thanks again!

bajan

benIV

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 PG 5m Jetta GL Sedan, 2003 RS 5m Jetta GLS Wagon (Golf Variant)
Ultra-low Sulfur Diesel Fuel Affects Lubrication. ... However, the process used to reduce the sulfur content in diesel also reduces the fuel's lubricating properties, resulting in increased wear on the various parts of the engine's fuel injection system.”
I use 2 products (winter,summer) from FTTF, a few oz. per tank, not expensive, it was hard to find a place to buy it.
how lubricative (i know it's a made up word :)) is biodiesel? B100? B20? would you run a lubrication additive if you were filling up with b20?

On another note, I got my VCDS Hex-V2 in the mail today... yay. super excited. Can't wait til morning to get it running and do the first autoscan. Then to figure what else to look at/do.

benIV

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 PG 5m Jetta GL Sedan, 2003 RS 5m Jetta GLS Wagon (Golf Variant)

i was searching the fuels and additives subforum hoping to find some information about pros/cons or suggestions for which additives to use. couldn't find a thread... what's your rec?

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
A couple ounces of Marvel Mystery Oil, a dash of cetane boost.
ATF, (automatic transmission fluid) will do the same, add a bit
of lubricity to the fuel for the IP.

Cheap, and without getting into the technical discussion
of the pros and cons of the host of additives out there,
it can't hurt.
In view of the extraordinary pressures generated, I figger anything
to ease the burden on the heart of the machine will help.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
front rotors, brake pads, new Contis and new Wheels!

Actually, I changed the rotors/pads last weekend with my son. Black paint on non-machined surfaces (nice match!). Wagner rotors, with Wagner OE style semi-metallic pads. Quiet. No grabbiness. They are working out great.

I had a new set of 16" Conti PureContacts from my local dealer using the Goodwill credit card I got from VW after dieselgate splashed down. But they sat in the basement for another year. Then my 2014 Sportwagen got wrecked:eek:

The '03 TDI Jetta wagon had rusty old 15" wheels and bad tires, so I just got new 16" wheels! Viola...

gmenounos

Vendor
TDI
Replaced my stock injectors with rebuilt injectors / .220 nozzles from DarkSide Developments. Everything looked good after the installation until I took it out on the highway and it stumbled while cruising at 60. Got off the highway and it stumbled some more on the way home. Scanning the ECU with VCDS, I see an intermittent Needle Lift Sensor (G80): Implausible Signal" DTC. Checked the #3 injector and the wiring looks good. Took another couple test drives and it still happens occasionally. I did leave the #3 line cracked until fuel came out before trying to start the car for the first time - supposedly that helps purge the air from the sensor. I wonder if I got a bum #3 injector or if further driving and/or bleeding the #3 line will clear it out.

Rembrant

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
I had a new set of 16" Conti PureContacts from my local dealer using the Goodwill credit card I got from VW after dieselgate splashed down. But they sat in the basement for another year.
I just installed a new set of the Conti PureContacts Eco Plus tires (16") on my 06 Jetta and have been very happy with them so far. My $65 rebate just arrived on Friday, so even happier with that.:)

That's a nice clean wagon, and the rims are nice as well.

vwnathan

TDI
2014 CTD
Installed a Buzzken 2.5" downpipe on my mk4 bew. No cat, straight pipe to OG cat back. EGTs much lower and sounds nice.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Drove both of them. Filled IBW on Friday, 761 miles, 15.7 gallons. I don't think I've had a tank under 700 in about a year. Maybe one in the middle of last Winter. My average miles per tank on Fuelly is 697, and that's for the last 133K. Why wouldn't I keep this car forever?

maxmoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 golf, 2001 golf, 2000 beetle, 2003 wagon, 2004 golf, 2004 jetta, all diesels
Drove both of them. Filled IBW on Friday, 761 miles, 15.7 gallons. I don't think I've had a tank under 700 in about a year. Maybe one in the middle of last Winter. My average miles per tank on Fuelly is 697, and that's for the last 133K. Why wouldn't I keep this car forever?
On Sunday we drove my 03 wagon home from Bloomington IN.....850 miles on one vented tank....doing 80mph whenever possible two people with luggage and two rebuilt transmisions on board.
Best tank ever! :)
......Filled the tank yesterday with 62.7 liters ..... :eek: