Dieselgate, The Canadian Edition

Cheekee

TDI
NO MORE 2012 Jetta TDI >> F150
I received an email this morning that says all documents have been reviewed and all are fine EXCEPT the front of my registration / ownership ... they say that it's "expired" .... I checked it out and there's absolutely no place on the front of the ownership that has an expiration date ... the back says it's good until Jan 2018 ... have been on hold for 40 mins now .... the "click to chat" button that is suggested is nowhere to be found .... I thought I was finished with the submit process .... I only have one ownership / registration , and it's current ..... unbelievable ...... can't wait to be finished with my VW , that's taking up room in my garage , and costing me money to sit .....

ElectricMayhem

Veteran Member
TDI
None!
My objection to the step changes in the vehicle value vs. km mapping, was not addressed by the judge. Those step changes do not appear in the real market.

For me, the calculator said $14 900 with 92 000 km and it turns out that I am getting $13 800.

Motley

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI
I received an email this morning that says all documents have been reviewed and all are fine EXCEPT the front of my registration / ownership ... they say that it's "expired" .... I checked it out and there's absolutely no place on the front of the ownership that has an expiration date ... the back says it's good until Jan 2018 ... have been on hold for 40 mins now .... the "click to chat" button that is suggested is nowhere to be found .... I thought I was finished with the submit process .... I only have one ownership / registration , and it's current ..... unbelievable ...... can't wait to be finished with my VW , that's taking up room in my garage , and costing me money to sit .....
Actually there is an expiry date. My 'effective date" was 13-01-31 and the expiry date is 13-04-14. The expiry date is your next birthday when the sticker renewal is due. I hope the people reviewing the docs catch this, or there are gonna be a lot of expired ownerships. Besides that, the expiry date is on the plate portion of the ownership, NOT the vehicle portion.

Cheekee

TDI
NO MORE 2012 Jetta TDI >> F150
Actually there is an expiry date. My 'effective date" was 13-01-31 and the expiry date is 13-04-14. The expiry date is your next birthday when the sticker renewal is due. I hope the people reviewing the docs catch this, or there are gonna be a lot of expired ownerships. Besides that, the expiry date is on the plate portion of the ownership, NOT the vehicle portion.

yes, the back of my ownership clearly shows expiry date to be Jan 2018 ..... I spoke with a guy from "computershare.com" , which is where the 1-888 number took me after an hour of waiting ..... he asked me to send him a copy of the email I received, and to attach photos of front and back of ownership ..... he's going to get back to me , hopefully ..... my "effective date" was 12-04-23 .... the front hasn't changed since I received it from the dealership the day I took the car home ..... only new stickers on the back .... Cheers, Les

Lucsar

Veteran Member
TDI
Returned to VW: 2015 Passat Highline DSG EarlyLease Termination
Morning folks; I just got done uploading and submitting all my information as well. First off my vehicle is leased through VCCI(VW Canada Credit Inc).
The only documents that I was asked to upload were:

1. Front/Back of Ownership/Registration
2. Copy of Government Issued ID...Driver's Licence

It did ask for my current mileage, which I submitted. I didn't see any messages or alerts for any missing fields while filling everything thing out.
At step 15 it stated your documents have been successfully uploaded and received and will be reviewed. We will contact you...

Am I missing something here...??

Thanks,

Last edited:

Scratchy101

Veteran Member
TDI
Returned 2012 Golf TDI, now 2015 Mazda CX-5 & 2018 Nissan Leaf SV
I have not heard this before....WE as in Canadians with cars purchased at Canadian Dealers will be paid in US funds....???

Why would this be true?
I haven't read a thing saying we would be paid in US funds.
This^ is what happens when you read posts out of context.
The post you referred to was meant as sarcasm to someone that was expecting the world from VW.

Lucsar

Veteran Member
TDI
The post you referred to was meant as sarcasm to someone that was expecting the world from VW.
Priceless: Almost like the people who thought they would be refunded full purchase price of the vehicle ?? Gotta love it...

laminated

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Sportwagen
if anyone knows how to edit the address for the vehicle in claim preferences, I cant edit it,, it added my street address to the city as well i see.

NSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat
Not the world... but it sure would be nice (and fair, IMO) to get back what I could have sold it for in Sept of 2015.
I wondered if it was a US bought TDI, now in Canada, would you get the US$ settlement? If it worked in reverse, it might be profitable to take your Cdn car to the US for the buyback.;)

Todd_y

TDI
2012 Golf Highline mt
Those who have registered: is the end result committing to a date for the meeting to turn-in or trade? I want to trade and haven't secured a deal yet so is there any point in registering yet? Do you have a choice to defer setting a meeting date until later? Thanks.

NSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat
In NS, we have a separate Certificate of registration, which is title/ownership document used to transfer ownership, it has no expiry. Then we have a plate owner document which has the expiry date for your plates, we get a new one each time the plates are renewed.

On a leased vehicle, the CR says VWF, the plate says the owner is VWF, and I am the plate owner.

Hopefully the settlement people can figure this out.:) Each province has different ways of doing things.

SteveW928

TDI
2010 VW Jetta TDI (Platinum Grey Metallic)
If it worked in reverse, it might be profitable to take your Cdn car to the US for the buyback.;)
No doubt. I'm not sure how that works (as I know some are dealing with US-purchased cars)... but it seems the pricing is based off the US deal, and doesn't take the exchange rate into account (nor how much more we paid in Canada when we bought them).

Those who have registered: is the end result committing to a date for the meeting to turn-in or trade?
When I was in there last night, it said the date was just there for example purposes of how putting on the calculated mileage into the future impacts the amount of $. I'm guessing we'll be contacted to set up an actual date.

NSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat
Those who have registered: is the end result committing to a date for the meeting to turn-in or trade? I want to trade and haven't secured a deal yet so is there any point in registering yet? Do you have a choice to defer setting a meeting date until later? Thanks.
My guess is the paperwork you sent will be approved or not (then you will have to fix it), you will get a confirmation of your buyback/total dollars and an appointment with the dealer to process the documents.

If you submit a claim on the portal for whatever (trade/fix/buyback), then change your mind, you can only reapply manually, the portal will not work again.

Go make a deal for a trade, if that is what you want to do. You can change the dealership later (manually) if you find a better deal somewhere?

Lucsar

Veteran Member
TDI
In NS, we have a separate Certificate of registration, which is title/ownership document used to transfer ownership, it has no expiry. Then we have a plate owner document which has the expiry date for your plates, we get a new one each time the plates are renewed.

On a leased vehicle, the CR says VWF, the plate says the owner is VWF, and I am the plate owner.

Hopefully the settlement people can figure this out.:) Each province has different ways of doing things.
Yes definitely!! I do hope that you're right; people on the phone help line have been pretty good... On hold forever .. I'm just awaiting confirmation as well... Hopefully no mistakes and through ok

Smokin_Joe

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI Highline returned for refund
Thanks for stepping up and clearing that up...lol;)
but out of context....really...:p
I have been skimming over everything that has been posted here, making sure I am not missing something and as you can tell it definitely caught my attention.
Thanks Again:D

tobianogreg

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta returned
Back to plan A. Got our deposit back for the new 2015 Golf TDI and looking to drive the current Jetta depreciation-free until the last moment possible. (The dealership was really good about the refund.) My wife never really liked diesel and I was concerned about being locked into the "trade" option and having the car sold before finalization. There's nothing much at VW in gas that looks interesting IMO. Maybe the nexgen Tiguan but it would look soo much better with a TDI badge.

northofnine

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI, 2015 Jetta Highline
Hi all,
Thanks for all the info on this thread.
I managed to put a deposit on a 2015 Jetta TDI Highline.
Turning in my 2012 Jetta TDI...not sure if I should turn it in with my steel rims and snows...rims are rusted and tires maybe only have one season left.
I could then use the 2012 alloy wheels on the 2015 for snows...
I am due for an oil change on the 2012...not sure what to do about that...

SteveW928

TDI
Turning in my 2012 Jetta TDI...not sure if I should turn it in with my steel rims and snows...rims are rusted and tires maybe only have one season left.
I could then use the 2012 alloy wheels on the 2015 for snows...
I am due for an oil change on the 2012...not sure what to do about that...
Good questions and points. I'm sure many of us are in this situation re: tires/rims

Hopefully it doesn't matter what you turn it in with, as I might be best to keep my snow tires (as they have lots of life left) either on the current rims, or swap them to the ones the summer tires are on (original alloy wheels).

I'm really close to the 90k maintenance, but I think at this point, even if I go over a bit it won't be a big deal, as I think that's primarily to keep any warranty valid, right? There's no point in spending $600+ anymore.

Rob_MacCara

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi Q3 gasser
I'm planning on swapping my good snow tires onto my alloy rims, and putting my worn summers on my winter steel rims, then turning the car in with the steelies + worn summer tires.
I'm hoping to trade for a 2015 Q3. I'll be getting a total of just over $22k so that will not leave much to pay on the Audi. I've seen a couple of late model Tiguan's which I'd be able to trade straight across for, but the Audi is much nicer.

b1jackson

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf - Gone in BUYBACK. Replaced with 2015 Golf
I'm planning on swapping my good snow tires onto my alloy rims, and putting my worn summers on my winter steel rims, then turning the car in with the steelies + worn summer tires.
The "I'm sorry" credit card bought me a new set of summers last year for my OEM alloys. I have a 16" set of plasti dipped winter alloys with a set of winters that have another year on them.

So off I went to kijiji and found a set of rusty 15" steelies with worn winters on them. That's what I'm taking it back with. Everything else is staying with me for my 2015 they have on hold for me.

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
Good questions and points. I'm sure many of us are in this situation re: tires/rims
Hopefully it doesn't matter what you turn it in with, as I might be best to keep my snow tires (as they have lots of life left) either on the current rims, or swap them to the ones the summer tires are on (original alloy wheels).
I'm really close to the 90k maintenance, but I think at this point, even if I go over a bit it won't be a big deal, as I think that's primarily to keep any warranty valid, right? There's no point in spending $600+ anymore.
Good question, ours just ticked over 90k km this week and is overdue for maintenance. The only thing I see in the settlement is having to drive into the dealer's lot under its own power. The big fear would be an HPFP failure but the warranty on that is only good till 80k.

Right now I'm waiting to see how long the process will take. If it's more than a few weeks before we get our replacement wagon, I may do just an oil and filter change to be safe.

SteveW928

TDI
Good question, ours just ticked over 90k km this week and is overdue for maintenance. The only thing I see in the settlement is having to drive into the dealer's lot under its own power. The big fear would be an HPFP failure but the warranty on that is only good till 80k.
Right now I'm waiting to see how long the process will take. If it's more than a few weeks before we get our replacement wagon, I may do just an oil and filter change to be safe.
Yea, that's the way I'm reading it too. Tires/rims are something that people regularly change, so I doubt they'd complain about not having the OEMs. And, if people can drive in a highly damaged one... our nearly flawless one should be worth a lot more unless they are all just going to the crusher (in which case they shouldn't care about rims).

I'm hoping to have a replacement within the next week or two. We'd have had one already, but a couple of the deals fell through. We're fortunate enough to have enough in savings to buy before having to wait for the check (and then the check can replenish those funds). I'm planning on just parking it once we get the replacement.

n1d0n

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 golf tdi wolfsburg and 1986 toyota pickup SASed AHU tdi
I just looked and it says that my documents are good

Reactorface

TDI
2015 Audi Q5 Technik
just to clear this up

Thanks for stepping up and clearing that up...lol;)
but out of context....really...:p
I have been skimming over everything that has been posted here, making sure I am not missing something and as you can tell it definitely caught my attention.
Thanks Again:D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airbus320
I am in the Canadian owner of US suit and am only used to the estimator on that page but it breaks it down to black book value of 2015 plus sorry money OR the fix money.

Many of the posts I've been seeing on the FaceBook page have people quoting prices that I think are fair then they say plus the sorry money which I'm thinking is way more than what I have been quoted on the US site. This leads me to believe that the price given by the Canadian estimator are both 2015 CBB plus sorry money combined.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

don't forget to add the exchange rate as we will be compensated in US $$$

Actually i was referring to the above poster
Airbus320 and i who own TDI s that were originally registered in the U.S. and subsequently imported to Canada. recently we found out that our vehicles would be covered by the U.S. settlements. which means U.S. dollars. ;):D

Smokin_Joe

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI Highline returned for refund
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airbus320
I am in the Canadian owner of US suit and am only used to the estimator on that page but it breaks it down to black book value of 2015 plus sorry money OR the fix money.

Many of the posts I've been seeing on the FaceBook page have people quoting prices that I think are fair then they say plus the sorry money which I'm thinking is way more than what I have been quoted on the US site. This leads me to believe that the price given by the Canadian estimator are both 2015 CBB plus sorry money combined.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

don't forget to add the exchange rate as we will be compensated in US $$$

Actually i was referring to the above poster
Airbus320 and i who own TDI s that were originally registered in the U.S. and subsequently imported to Canada. recently we found out that our vehicles would be covered by the U.S. settlements. which means U.S. dollars. ;):D
Oh rub it in:D
I am just so jealous now....
I have been reading how everyone plans on droppin less than perfect cars off, steel rims etc and I guess we will be posting some custom rubber mats up for sale soon.
Our car is mint and because of the hidden HPFP problem we will be so happy to part ways with VW...
Glad you guys are getting covered

Last edited: