Help with stuck ignition switch

mainjet

Veteran Member
I'm getting the details third hand so hang with me.

My daughter is in Indianapolis and having trouble with her ignition switch not wanting to turn back so she can turn the car off. My son went to where she was, drove the car to his apartment and was finally able to tap on the key lightly a bit and got it to turn back. He can insert and remove the key and the key has some range of turn forward and back but not all the way. So he cannnot turn the key all the way forward to start it and it doesn't seem to turn all the way back.

I need to get the car started back to northwest Indiana where I can take a look at it. Any ideas of what to do. lock ease in the lock cylinder for lube?

Any quick help would be appreciated.

DonsJetta

TDI
2006 Jetta Special Edition
Don't know what year of car you have but there are safety interlocks in the steering column and in the shift lever. Look up you tube videos for your situation and vehicle year, you may be surprised as to what can be found there. Or a general Google search..

mainjet

Veteran Member
Thanks for the response guys. Sorry for not posting the vehicle specifics lol

2006 Volkswagen Jetta tdi

here is a video of my son showing how far the key will turn. Remember, he's in Indianapolis and I'm up in Northwest Indiana so he just has to translate what's going on to me.

mainjet

Veteran Member
Thanks for the response guys. Sorry for not posting the vehicle specifics lol

2006 Volkswagen Jetta tdi

here is a video of my son showing how far the key will turn. Remember, he's in Indianapolis and I'm up in Northwest Indiana so he just has to translate what's going on to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoZ84nc5bD0&feature=youtu.be

Now my problem is that I need to get the car fixed there or get it home so I can replace the key lock cylinder. The dealership tells me, without looking at the car, that they would have to replace the ignition lock housing and the key lock cylinder. I don't quite believe this. I think that it is going to be the key lock cylinder.

O'Reileys has an aftermarket key lock cylinder that comes with keys. Volkswagen says that they order the cylinder by VIN and it could take 1-6 weeks.

I have Vagcom. So my question is will the O'Reileys key lock cylinder with the keys that come with it work without programming or will I need to program the keys and can that be done with the vagcom?

Also, from everything that I see online, it looks like I have to take the steering wheel off in order to get the plastic covers around the column off in order just to get the lock cylinder out.

I don't understand all the anti theft stuff on these cars so I don't really know how the specific keys work or not. I just want to know if I can get eh autoparts lcok cylinder and make it work with my vagcom or if this is not going to work.

pdq import repair

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta

mainjet

Veteran Member
We get those towed in with the key stuck and wont turn. We have replaced tumbler assemblies but in most cases my VW tech has been able to free them up by carefully hammering in a long skinny screwdriver to release or break the offending wafer. Lube it up and good to go.

This demonstrates his highly technical procedure. Might work for you.

www.facebook.com/pdqimportrepair/videos/vb.533486593412896/1391877194240494/?type=2&theater

Thanks for the info. It looks like in this case you show, the key would not go into the lock. In my case the key goes in fine but will not turn past what the video shows.

I'm told she has been having a bit of trouble with it for a while. When she got down to Indianapolis she could not turn the key back to turn the car off. Her brother had to go there and get the car back and was then able to get it shut off. However it now will not turn to start it so she can get back up here.

mainjet

Veteran Member
Does anyone know if what this guy does with the ignition at about the 1:15 mark will work?

https://youtu.be/VZx6VEmVc2Q

I'm thinking that if I have my key in the ignition that the immobilized will be ok and then turn the ignition with a screw driver to get it started. Then I could drive it home to a more hospitable place where I have all my tools and I can work on it properly.

Since the key only turns a small amount, it covers the little hole that you would normally push a paper clip into to release the ignition lock cylinder.