What did you do to your car today?

PeeWee

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon, 97 Passat Sedan
Removed the snorkel to re-attach the N75, it was just hanging on by a thread. Also moved a vacuum line to hopefully cure my intermitent boost drop outs. . Replaced the snorkel and it looks like its running OK now.
We will see

crashtested

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Q5 TDI Technik, 2014 GSW CL 6MT (RIP), 2004 Jetta GLS 5MT (sold), 2010 GSW HL 6MT (buy back)
The Jetta rolled 320k km this week treated it to Oil & filter yesterday.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
It's back!

After a very long visit to Kraftwerke the 300D is back at home.

It's been long enough that I'd forgotten what a joy it is to drive. And the transmission service made it even better: shifting is like butter, less torque converter slop. New blower motor is nearly silent. And it tracks better after the alignment, although it needs bushings at some point.

As Chris said, these are among the last Mercedes that were built to be serviced and repaired. And given it's rust-free I'm going to keep after it. It'll sit on 75 MPH all day and is quiet as a church, getting 34 MPG in the process. Hard to beat.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Let's see.

Wife's Jetta. Needed to have a tire fixed. I mounted snows a couple of weeks ago, (used set on fat fives, tires were in great shape), but one wouldn't hold air. Before I went to have the tire shop fix the flat, I decided to get some soapy water and see where the problem was. Found it - no hole in the tread; it was leaking all around (about 3/4) the rim on the outside. Inside was OK. Took it to the tire shop, and they resealed the rim (dismount the tire, buff the bead area, apply a sealant, remount the tire). Lookin' good now.

Silver 2-dr: needed lower engine cover and sides. Bought some aftermarket stuff from Dorman through the cheapest place I could find. They take a little doing to line up the screw holes, and the speed nuts they supply are thin junk, but it should all hold until spring, at least. I'm not real happy with the fit of the parts, but considering the price of OEM from VW, it was close enough. At least the bottom of the engine bay is reasonably well covered up now.

Wife's NB: see above, same comments for the same operation. You get to do your own cut-out for the autobox (she refuses to learn to run a 3rd pedal), and the fit for the front of the side covers is more difficult on the NB chassis - I had to do some cutting to get the side cover to fit. The problem is in the front lower outside corner. For the Golf I could just warp that corner with a heat gun and get it to work, but the NB required actual cutting. Or maybe I just ran out of patience. I was outside, it was cold, and the wind chill was brutal.

So then I went to the gym and gave myself a migraine working on the stair climber. I guess no good deed goes unpunished.

Cheers,

PH

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
New tires arrived from Tire Rack and installed by Big O Tires. Continental PureContacts

Alignment was OK except for toe-in and that was corrected.

DucMike

Veteran Member
TDI
none
Installed four OEM Stone Guards bought with dealer card. Also tried installing Enhanced Rearview mirror, but S model doesn't seem to have overhead console wiring needed for it (no sunroof).
Are you talking about that Homelink/auto-dim/compass model they recently came out with? That should've come with a harness that runs down to the headlight switch (though I did cut mine off & run it to the domelight assy. on my Mk3).

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
New rear calipers, pads, and ebrake cables for the 98 beetle. The passenger side parking brake was dead when I got the car on the road.... then this past weekend the drivers side locked up in the snowstorm... had to crab the car home diagonally lol. Thank goodness it was only a few blocks and there was enough snow and ice for the tire to slide undamaged.

crashtested

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Q5 TDI Technik, 2014 GSW CL 6MT (RIP), 2004 Jetta GLS 5MT (sold), 2010 GSW HL 6MT (buy back)
Drove the MKIV to the ski hill with the kiddos. -20C so it was a short lived day but still good to be sliding none the less!

Jettawolfs98

Veteran Member
TDI
JETTA TDI 2009, JSW 2013 DSG PANO
Took everything off to make the car ready for the buy back. I will have the OEM BI-XENONS and HID Fogs projectors for sale very soon. Oh well it was fun.

bobt2382

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
2010 CW GOLF 4DR 6MT TDI
Charged the 3 year old battery and cleaned the battery terminals. Charging much better.
Replaced the rear wiper blade.

Brent4ADV

TDI
2017 Passat 1.8t SEL Premium, 2014 Passat TDI SEL (buyback pending)
I recently had my 2014 Passat SEL bought back and I got a 2017 Passat 1.8t SEL Premium to replace it with. One thing that bothered me about the new car was that all of the lights (DRL, Low Beams, High Beams, Tail Lights) were LED except for the fog lights. So, I got on Amazon and purchased these light bulbs to replace the stock ones. Now everything matches.

This picture shows the difference between the stock fog (right) and the LED fog (left).

Last edited:

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
Drove it for the first time since the week before thanksgiving. Got the twins on and still have a lot of work to do with the tuning, but better than vnt15 transient response below 1600 rpm and 40+ psi boost above 2500 rpm is as much fun as it sounds ��

where2

Veteran Member
TDI
One '13 JSW_TDI & One '04 Variant_TDI
Snagged some random parts for the MkIV Wagon and the MkV Sedan from the junkyard. For the MkIV Wagon, I finally snagged the foam CD Changer bracket, along with three of the four roof rack plastic ends. Also scored a spare set of tails with bulb holders in good shape.

For the MkV, I snagged a center console power inverter, a dome light that isn't peeling yet, and a driver door window switch set that isn't peeling yet. (yet is the key word on all the MkV switches).

bobt2382

TDI
2010 CW GOLF 4DR 6MT TDI
Oil and Filter change @ 110K miles with 5-30W Liqui Moly Top Tec 4200, 4.3 liters.

TDI57

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
Installed PolarFis. Way cool. Got passenger mirror to auto dip in reverse, can monitor regens etc. Have 6 screens set up and could add more if I desire. There are more things that are listed that can be monitored that frankly I don't know what they are!

nokivasara

Veteran Member
TDI
Tiguan 4-motion, Golf mk7
Blocked the radiators on both cars, even in milder temps like -4C it takes forever to warm up the engines, it's ridiculous really.

Other diesels heat up way better than VW, my dad has a Renault 1.5dci which hardly uses any fuel at all and still heats up quicker than any vw I've had.

Maybe it would be better to insulate all the small coolant hoses, I'm sure they don't carry the heat very well...

JohnnyCanuck.Comox

TDI
2004 Golf GLS
I went through my car today and made a list of things of items that need to be taken care of:
Heated seats do not work.
Rear washer doesn't work.
headlights are hazed.
Glove box light not working.
Heated windshield washers not working.

I've done the easy stuff by removing and checking fuses for the electrical items so I've bookmarked the repair threads for the above items and I'll go through them and hopefully get things working.

bobt2382

TDI
2010 CW GOLF 4DR 6MT TDI
Downloaded the repair modifcation paperwork, signed, notarized and submitted electronically today. We'll see if the docs are "accepted". In for the long wait for a possible VW response that they can't engineer a proper fix for our generation 1 TDIs.

bobt2382

TDI
2010 CW GOLF 4DR 6MT TDI
That was quick...
Your acceptance of our offer is complete. We will notify you if EPA/CARB approve an emissions modification for your vehicle. Once an approved emissions modification is available, Volkswagen will then contact you regarding next steps.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Yesterday I flashed a Stage 4 tune into my ECU, does that count? And wow! I have read some TDI-ers say first gear is useless; now I understand. First gear goes by so quickly it is almost not needed.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
Thursday was the last time I drove my mk6 Golf TDI.

It was a bitter sweet moment turning it in to Volkswagen.

It's gone, but I'll never forget that it was a great car for the 40,000 miles and 3 years that I owned it :cool:

Mr. Pink

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI

Front brakes on my 2002, really only needed the rotors, but I replaced the pads too as the ones I pulled were glazed over.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Flashed my ECU with a tune that soft cuts at 4500 RPM and hard cuts at 5000 RPM. With the Stage 4 tune I am running the engine pulls so hard and fast I would rather be safe than sorry in first and second gears.

narongc73

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I installed a dieselgeek short shifter. Man it is a nice piece of art work. Shifts well too. If you've adjusted the shifter before you do not need their 29 page instructions. It is useless. Only takes 30 mins.

dogdots

Vendor
TDI
None
Not today but yesterday...I killed my 2002 hot rod Jetta I bought new :(

Driving along at 80 mph,100 miles from home, car had a slight stumble for a second, then ran normally for another 2 miles, then lost all power, engine died, and I coasted to a stop near an exit with a wide shoulder. Popped timing cover, belt is tight. Engine locked solid. White smoke from tailpipe as the engine died.

Rescued it from the side of the road after completing my work day and towed it to the shop. Luckily had a coworker just behind me that gave me a ride to where we were going, and was able to work the whole day at the account.

Not sure which direction I will be going, may repair or may part out and crush or sell as is. I got over 335k miles out of it with 235k being on a 28psi tune so it owes me nothing :)