Winter tires, whos put them on?

Wankel7

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
First time on snow and ice with winter tires. Blizzaks WS70. Wow! It was great to have actual confidence on snow and ice.

Although I did a few quick lane changes on dry pavement at 60mph. Yikes! The tires are almost unacceptable. The tires are so squishy. Maybe it is the size? 185 65 15 instead of 195 65 15?

I am glad I did it to see how they do on dry pavement.

axnels2

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 jetta sportswagen
Put my Blizzaks on over the weekend. Denver is icy after the cold spell for a few days now, and my all-seasons were not handling this as well.

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
The tires are so squishy. Maybe it is the size? 185 65 15 instead of 195 65 15?
Nope. Dem's Blizzaks. That's the way they roll. :) Made for snow and ice grip, at the sacrifice of handling.

There are some snow tires that give you good winter traction and have them still behave much like an all-season handling-wise. I've had both Continental ExtremeWinterContacts and Michelin X-Ice 3's. Both are handle and ride like an all-season, with no more noise than an all-season. Before that I had Dunlop Wintersport M2's, which were a more aggressive winter tire, but handle more floaty (especially over our steel-grated drawbridge) and were noisier.

deming

Veteran Member
TDI
(2) 2005 TDI Passat Wagons
Like new Snow Tires ( For Sale)

I have a like new set of Green Diamond Snow tires for sale.

5x112 ( Steel VW wheels) 15" with VW hubcaps and 4 nearly new tires.

I think these will fit 2009+ Jetta Sportwagens.
I bought them for our 2005 Passat, but never used them.
I am located near Chicago, but I can assist with delivery to Milwaukee or Grand Rapids

PM me if interested.

www.greendiamondtire.com

http://www.myboltpattern.com/

Last edited:

D_Squared

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf 2D 6M

I am located near Chicago, but I can assist with delivery to Milwaukee or Grand Rapids

PM me if interested.

www.greendiamondtire.com

They will fit everything 2009+ except the JSW and it has bigger brakes. they can only have a minimum 16" rims.

Put my snows on yesterday

Matatk

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 A3 TDI Wagon

Too bad they aren't 16s. I had a set all lined up from a guy today and he backed out as I was getting ready to leave the house.

Anyone else in SW Chicago have a set of 16s with winter tires?

Matthew

zoominMS3

Veteran Member
TDI
MK6 GOLF TDI
I haven't looked up the price of the Nokians locally. What do they go for? And how many miles do you get out of them?

I grabbed my nokian nordmans from a local shop that hooked me up. All the grip of blizzaks without all the cost.. In my opinion.

The golf is the third car I have used them on. Switching them on and off makes the life ridiculously long. I have had them five years now?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sunvalleylaw

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Passat TDI GLS Wagon, 5 speed manual

PM me if interested.

www.greendiamondtire.com

PM sent.

02TDIred

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta (225K, retired), 05 JSW (334K, retired) 2012 JSW, SEL Gone, 2016 GSW/TSI/6A
Compare Nordman 4 to Nordman 5

The 4 series are NLA, are the 5 Series as good ?

TIA,
Richard

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
The 5 is just as good. Running them on a Grand Cherokee CRD.

02TDIred

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta (225K, retired), 05 JSW (334K, retired) 2012 JSW, SEL Gone, 2016 GSW/TSI/6A
Thanks for the comment, thinking I musta' got the last two sets (of four) in South Dakota. A bit noisy but great traction in snow/ice. MPG down 1-2 miles, tho.

Wankel7

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Took off the the Blizzaks yesterday.

New Michelin Energy Savers AS on. Enjoying the bump in economy and less noise :)

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
Yeah, forgot about this thread.

Took my 16" Michelin X-Ice 3's off last week, and put new Michelin Primacy MXM4's on my OE 17" Goal rims.

Mileage went down a wee bit. Always does until it warms up, and we get off of the winterized diesel. I actually see my mileage go UP in November when I put the 16" snows on. Until it gets cold.

All of Us

Ian's Dad
TDI
2015 NMS Passat SE TDI "Gin" 2006 A5 New Jetta TDI "Graycie" and 2003 A4 Jetta GLS TDI "Liath"
Volks:

I took the Blizzaks off Liath last weekend. Unfortunately, when I put the All-Season tires back on I found out I have a slow leak in one tire and have been dealing with getting that issue straightened out. Eventually I will get the issue ironed-out, but it's an annoying PITA in the mean time.

Dan

TDI
Jetta, 2006, Campanella White, Anthracite Int. DSG, Pkg. 1; New Beetle, 1998, Yellow, black leather Int., 2013 Passat TDI SEL Night blue, grey Int. given back to VW (well, not given... ;) ) 2018 Tiguan; first gasser in years
I also swapped the tires out on the Jetta, mainly because the Nokians, or at least one of them, developed a nasty vibration that I hope isn't a ply separation or I'll be looking for new winter shoes again this year :( Of course it snowed again last night too, happy spring all! :rolleyes:

May-39

Veteran Member
TDI
alh wagon
This weekend

got the 17" monteys waiting to go on wagon this weekend. Would love to find some light 16 or 17" rims as my mileage is same or worse over 15" and winter rims.
and 6 quarts of Schaeffers and a fuel filter sitting on workbench.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Switched to new Pirelli Cinturato P7 A/S Plus on Wednesday. They're supposed to be pretty good on ice and snow, for all-season tires. So I don't care if it snows. And they are LRR (low-rolling resistance).

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
Switched to new Pirelli Cinturato P7 A/S Plus on Wednesday. They're supposed to be pretty good on ice and snow, for all-season tires. So I don't care if it snows. And they are LRR (low-rolling resistance).
Let us know how you like those. After seeing the TireRack survey results, I was tempted to go with them. Two things held me back:
1) The fact that the 'Plus' versions rated so much higher than the other versions of that tire of the same name made me wonder if they were really that much better, or if they were somehow over-hyped in the survey.
2) At least for my JSW, the load rating was higher, which would mean a harsher ride.

So in the end I fell back to my default -- Michelin Primacy MXM4's. Michelins have always done me well.

All of Us

Ian's Dad
TDI
2015 NMS Passat SE TDI "Gin" 2006 A5 New Jetta TDI "Graycie" and 2003 A4 Jetta GLS TDI "Liath"
Tempting fate?

Volks:

I see from my post last year that it was about this time when I took the Blizzaks off. However, I am going to wait a few more weeks this year. I bought a winter front from Peter for Liath this year and already took that off the car. The first thing my wife did was tell me that if it snows again this winter that it's my fault. If I take the winter tires off too, it really will snow, so I'm playing it safe, and not tempting the Weather Gods. I'll wait until the first weeks of April to put the Goodyears back on. I'll also try to remember to post it up when I do.

Dan

Technician!

Veteran Member
TDI
None, currently
Just took off all 4 snows (challenging Mother Nature) to now hear that I have a rt rr wheel bearing talking to me. Couldn't hear it over the noisy snow tires.
Firestone Winterforce.
These are directional, and are excellent tires. I bought them used (two seasons prior on a Cavalier).
I loose about 4-5 mpg with them on, even though they are larger diameter tires than my summer ones.

All of Us

Ian's Dad
TDI
The winter tires are asleep in the basement!

Volks:

I finally swapped out the Blizzaks for the Goodyear A/S tires today. I think this is the longest I've ever waited to remove the winter tires since I started doing the summer/winter tire swap thing. I'm really going to be in for a ration of sh*t if it snows again this spring. I guess I'll just have to hope that Mother Nature isn't a spiteful witch.

Dan

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
The predictions for the last two weeks of April are for highs in the 60s and 70s -- so I think it is safe to switch tires just about everywhere.