Midwest Light Creations- HID Headlights and Retrofit Kits (Headlights by Jeff)

Damo

TDI
Tdi
That's because the recent post have been you b¡tching.

I have a set of Jeff's headlights on my mk4. Jeff was super quick to respond when I had installation questions. Installation and adjustment was easy after I had an idea of what I was doing.

Had them nearly a year, no problems at all. Got the glass lens. They are very good quality. Very bright and no leaks

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Perfect want a back up set

Damo

TDI
Tdi
Why not quit your ranting and read Jeff's posts which it appears you are not doing?
Secondly, Jeff made me a set of MKV headlights which were absolutely perfect and reasonably priced. That was two years ago and I am very pleased with his craftsmanship, as others here are.
Here's some advice: Why not just stop at your friendly VW dealer and buy a set of lights from them? I'm absolutely sure they will supply you German made lights at a fair price and even install them for you correctly.
So.as A customer I should just deal with a set of broken lights? This is what your saying
Why not read what I'm posting instead of wanting to swallow your buddy's load
Lights came in finally after a long wait
Car was going in to get some work done on it by competition motors thee best VW audi dealer in the city
Asked if he had any issue tossing the lights in no problem. At all
Calls me.telling me he adjusted one as best he could but the Inside bulbs are so out of wack He cant get them any where close
Goes.to the next one first click adjuster pops out

Your telling me.i should be happy and stuck with these pos or I should send him pictures and he can tell me.how to fix it? Why would. I want to.bother if they showed up and are this fragile and poorly constructed why thr fuxk would I want these in my car, when I get refunded I most surely will buy a set from there if you can???? At least one thing smart came out of.you Suggesting to go to someone else

drywaller

Veteran Member
TDI
VDUBS
Everyone that is replying to damo. Please stop. We all know that Jeff is top notch. His future customers don't have to look far to learn that.
I love my lights in my mk4. They do exactly what Jeff promised. Nothing more, nothing less.
Let davo make his claim with PayPal. Per PayPal rules damo has already lost that claim. The lights were installed and no longer in the condition that they were in when sent out. Been there done that.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
So.as A customer I should just deal with a set of broken lights? This is what your saying
Why not read what I'm posting instead of wanting to swallow your buddy's load
Lights came in finally after a long wait
Car was going in to get some work done on it by competition motors thee best VW audi dealer in the city
Asked if he had any issue tossing the lights in no problem. At all
Calls me.telling me he adjusted one as best he could but the Inside bulbs are so out of wack He cant get them any where close
Goes.to the next one first click adjuster pops out

Your telling me.i should be happy and stuck with these pos or I should send him pictures and he can tell me.how to fix it? Why would. I want to.bother if they showed up and are this fragile and poorly constructed why thr fuxk would I want these in my car, when I get refunded I most surely will buy a set from there if you can???? At least one thing smart came out of.you Suggesting to go to someone else
You and Jeff need to resolve this off of the forum, since you are clearly incapable of having a civilized public discussion.

Damo

TDI
Tdi
You and Jeff need to resolve this off of the forum, since you are clearly incapable of having a civilized public discussion.
Civilized went out the window after I was ripped Off
And get every excuse thrown at me,SOLD unfunctional lights
But I have to pay to ship them back I only get a small refund I if I wanted the junk would have to pay to get them ship backed
Pissed off you betcha anyone here that thinks these are the best lights I'll sell em To ya lol

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
Civilized went out the window after I was ripped Off
And get every excuse thrown at me,SOLD unfunctional lights
But I have to pay to ship them back I only get a small refund I if I wanted the junk would have to pay to get them ship backed
Pissed off you betcha anyone here that thinks these are the best lights I'll sell em To ya lol
How much? I need a 3rd set for the project wagen its quickly looking like I'm going to keep... Give ya $100USD...

Damo

TDI
Tdi
How much? I need a 3rd set for the project wagen its quickly looking like I'm going to keep... Give ya $100USD...
Everyone buying into the easy fix
So how's $375 And work the issues out with Jeffrey he can give you step by step instructions on how to fix new lights seems pretty common

Just have to wait for the claim to see :cool::cool:
Lol

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
Everyone buying into the easy fix
So how's $375 And work the issues out with Jeffrey he can give you step by step instructions on how to fix new lights seems pretty common
Just have to wait for the claim to see :cool::cool:
Lol
$375... I thought you said they were junk?:rolleyes:

vitosays

Veteran Member
TDI
02' Jetta TDI
For what it's worth... I still plan on buying a set once I get the money. I have bought a few aftermarket headlight setups and these still look to be the cleanest.

... The rant still hasn't steered away my future purchase.

Geobmx4life

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf Malone tuned VNT 17, FMIC
I spent around $800 and at least 40hrs retrofitting my headlights, and they have no where near the adjustability or clean look of Jeff's, hours of research and fabrication.....and had I known about Jeff's lights.....I would've bought them instead....a few guys in our car club have them....great product and craftsmanship....some people should do their homework before making purchases.

Ookpic

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf 2Dr 5spd
I've been pondering leaving comments about my experience with these headlights for awhile now. I've been a member of the club for several years. This is not a complaint towards Jeff. He has been excellent to deal with for the most part. This is simply my experience and a review of my lights.

I have purchased 2 sets of these lights from Jeff. The first set for my Jetta (garage queen) arrived with a broken adjuster and broken access door. Jeff was excellent at communicating with me and shipped out the new parts very quickly.
The second set for my Golf (daily driver) purchased on may 2014 actually got installed before the first set. First impressions are amazing! The quality and craftsmanship are very good.... At first.

After installing the Golf lights, I noticed straight away that the rotation was off on the driver light which was a pain to straighten. There are no rubber washers installed to prevent rotation due to vibration. Not a huge issue but still time consuming as you can't adjust while in the car so you have to turn the lights on, wait for warm up, check, turn off, wait til cool down, loosen locking nut, adjust a teensy bit, lather, rinse, repeat. Also the right headlight was very occasionally not firing. Usually turning lights off and then on, fixed this. It happened maybe 2 or 3 times in the first 6 months. Shortly after that the light stopped working altogether. I emailed Jeff and he suggested trying a new ballast from my other set that were still not installed yet. Sure enough the ballast was the problem. After inquiring about the newer 55W ballasts, it was suggested that I purchase 2 complete sets of 55W ballasts and bulbs so I had the upgraded ballasts to replace the original 35W ones that came with my Jetta lights and also a 55W ballast to replace the one that failed. Leaving me with 1 55W spare ballast. Since it was outside the 6 month warranty, it was not covered but Jeff gave me a small discount anyway.

While waiting for the replacement parts in January 2015, the driver side light failed. Also a ballast. I didn't contact Jeff because I already had replacements on the way. These ballasts had seen less than 5 months of duty running a little over an hour each day as my DRL's are disabled. They spent the fist couple of months still in the box while I was restoring the Golf.
Fast forward to last month (Dec 2015) the passenger side failed again! I popped a spare ballast in to test and sure enough I had another failed ballast. I contacted Jeff again knowing that there would be no warranty but simply asking if he had any ideas or if I'm doing something wrong. I'm in almost $1000 so far, have had 3 ballast failures in a year and a half. Also, my (CFL) angel eye on one side is dim and barely functioning, there is also condensation starting to build up on the passenger light and the rotation is now slowing turning.
Jeff got back to me straight away and asked a few questions and this is where I get disappointed. He suggested to put 35W ballasts back in as "The 55W ballasts put a lot of wear on both the bulbs and themselves."

Wait, what?

I did ask before upgrading to the 55W, there was no mention of this before hand. So now it's suggested to go back to the 35W ballasts. This left me feeling like I was just a beta tester with the 55W ballasts at my cost.
I answered the questions that Jeff had asked and waited. Didn't hear anything back. Emailed again after a couple of days (usually he responds within a day), didn't hear anything back. Emailed again after 3 weeks then got a response suggesting that I am sitting somewhere between bad luck and short life span on the 55W ballasts. Nothing can be done about the failed angel eye except disable them. I should check the vents and put a silica pouch in the light with condensation issues.

Also not sure if its worth mentioning but I did notice that these were intentional scratch marks on the housings. The words "Made in China" logo and the Hella logo are scratched off but still able to be read suggesting that these are possibly the chinese Hella knock-offs.

Final thoughts

I could sometimes be placed into the "champagne taste with a beer budget" category. Not that I'm cheap, I just always look for the best bang for my buck. These are visually nice lights to look at and appear to be made reasonably well for the cost. I purchased these lights because of the initial positive response.
  • These lights don't have a super sharp cut-off line.
  • They are constantly drifting for whatever reason and need to be touched up. (I keep a screw driver in the glovebox).
  • The lock nut that holds the projector can vibrate loose causing rotation issues.
  • The ballasts only last for months.
  • The CFL angel eyes only last for months (CFL was only option available on Golf lights when purchased.)
  • There can be condensation issues.

TDI
Ookpic,

Thanks for posting your experience. You were an early adopter of my lights to be sure, on both the Jetta and the Golf. You have Jetta 2.0 and Golf 1.0 headlights. The changes between those and the current 4.0 versions include different bulbs, ballasts, projectors (with better threads..yours used a wing nut that had problems holding in place), internal wiring, lens sealant, installation methods, and a number of other important changes. The things you described are exactly what promoted us to make changes over the early builds in what is now the 4.0 model. And make no mistake about it, you were NOT a test dummy for 55W ballasts. We started using 55W ballasts in September 2013, and we stopped using them in April of 2015 which was when we moved to our current ballasts. The reason was as you mentioned, their short lifespan. Any electrical operating at a higher capacity will have a shorter lifespan than those operating at lower capacity. A 100W halogen bulb will go out well before a 75W, and that well before a 55W, etc. For the time we used 55W we did so on the premise that increased light output and was worth the decreased lifespan. However, in the end it made sense to switch back to 35W ballasts as customers seemed to value longevity over the increased brightness. Point is, in no way were you a beta tester or anything like that were were just aiming for all out performance back then whereas now we are taking a more balanced approach between performance and longevity.

Of the 6 bullet points you mentioned above all the issues have since been addressed in the newer 3.0 and 4.0 models. The projectors have crisp cutoff lines, the lock nuts are not the old style wing nuts any more and do not rotate out of place (this was only ever an issue with the early Golf lights), the ballasts have been upgraded both in terms of increasing reliability through decreasing wattage and in terms of overall ballast design, the sealant used is butyl sealant rather than silicone, and we no longer use CFL angel eyes (we only ever made a handful of lights with the CFL angel eye).

In no way am I saying that your experience is wrong, just that you have the early versions of both lights and since there have been a lot of changes that have addressed those things. Everything about the lights we offer now are greatly improved. As with any product later versions are going to improve upon earlier ones. And as an indicator of how much we've improved these, we've even quadrupled the warranty on the bulbs and ballasts with the new model and warranty craftsmanship for a full year.

Last edited:

Damo

TDI
Tdi
For what it's worth... I still plan on buying a set once I get the money. I have bought a few aftermarket headlight setups and these still look to be the cleanest.
... The rant still hasn't steered away my future purchase.
Yeah I bought a few retro fits for my Trucks in the past
Not once did they come broke or fall apart upon installation,
But ya If you want to spend countless hours of adjusting calling this fella and having you work on your own New lights than
Ya seem like great kit....................

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
Yeah I bought a few retro fits for my Trucks in the past
Not once did they come broke or fall apart upon installation,
But ya If you want to spend countless hours of adjusting calling this fella and having you work on your own New lights than
Ya seem like great kit....................
Vendor Accountability Thread

EDIT: Comment removed, decided to play nice...

Last edited:

martin27

TDI
02 Jetta Wagon
Ookpic,

Thanks for posting your experience. You were an early adopter of my lights to be sure, on both the Jetta and the Golf. You have Jetta 2.0 and Golf 1.0 headlights. The changes between those and the current 4.0 versions include different bulbs, ballasts, projectors (with better threads..yours used a wing nut that had problems holding in place), internal wiring, lens sealant, installation methods, and a number of other important changes. The things you described are exactly what promoted us to make changes over the early builds in what is now the 4.0 model. And make no mistake about it, you were NOT a test dummy for 55W ballasts. We started using 55W ballasts in September 2013, and we stopped using them in April of 2015 which was when we moved to our current ballasts. The reason was as you mentioned, their short lifespan. Any electrical operating at a higher capacity will have a shorter lifespan than those operating at lower capacity. A 100W halogen bulb will go out well before a 75W, and that well before a 55W, etc. For the time we used 55W we did so on the premise that increased light output and was worth the decreased lifespan. However, in the end it made sense to switch back to 35W ballasts as customers seemed to value longevity over the increased brightness. Point is, in no way were you a beta tester or anything like that were were just aiming for all out performance back then whereas now we are taking a more balanced approach between performance and longevity.

Of the 6 bullet points you mentioned above all the issues have since been addressed in the newer 3.0 and 4.0 models. The projectors have crisp cutoff lines, the lock nuts are not the old style wing nuts any more and do not rotate out of place (this was only ever an issue with the early Golf lights), the ballasts have been upgraded both in terms of increasing reliability through decreasing wattage and in terms of overall ballast design, the sealant used is butyl sealant rather than silicone, and we no longer use CFL angel eyes (we only ever made a handful of lights with the CFL angel eye).

In no way am I saying that your experience is wrong, just that you have the early versions of both lights and since there have been a lot of changes that have addressed those things. Everything about the lights we offer now are greatly improved. As with any product later versions are going to improve upon earlier ones. And as an indicator of how much we've improved these, we've even quadrupled the warranty on the bulbs and ballasts with the new model and warranty craftsmanship for a full year.
My issues have been similar. I think Jeff has noticed this and has been extending the warranty on his products because of this. I wondered why my headlights had big scratches on them... Jeff is that you or where you get the lights from? I believe Jeff said his lights were TYCs? Which in my experience are supposed to be great oem replacements.

TDI
We use a variety of assemblies on our headlights and we get them from a single supplier here in the US. In terms of manufacturers TYC, Genera, and a number of brands all come out of the same production lines and get branded accordingly. Our 4.0na model which uses the stock north american headlight design are typically either Genera or Eagle Eyes depending on which are readily available (they normally both are but once in a while one is unavailable while the other is in stock). For the regular 4.0 lights we use a european e-code replica which is not branded but for comparison they are the same lights sold by various other companies in the US such as ECS (Ziza line). For Passat B7 we use TYC or used OE assemblies, buyer's choice. We use TYC on a a number of our other lights for other models such as Kia and GMC lights. We don't touch the lenses on any of the lights. The scratches on the housings (which are on the top of the housing and not on anything visible part while installed) are done because they come with either a sticker or an imprint from the manufacturer that among other things has the supplier's telephone number to call for tech support/customer service. Since we are using these to retrofit we remove that by scratching it off since you'd want to call us, not them, with support questions. For anyone considering a set, it is worth noting that we can use whatever brand assemblies you'd like. The reason we use what we do is because frankly, the other other options are OE/Hella assemblies. A set of US Spec Hella lights with fog lights runs ~$350 for a pair. A set of OE Euro Spec lights runs $450 per pair. Using either of those would drastically raise the cost to well over $500 per set for the basic setup when you further factor in the HID components and the actual HID conversion itself. We've always aimed to fill the market need for an affordable set that gives the best bang for the buck and have opted away from those assemblies due to their costs. But if people want those used I have no objection whatsoever. They are of better quality, but they come with the price tag to match.

Last edited:

JettaVR6

TDI
None...yet
Jeff, first sorry I missed your phone call last night but I have some good news!

The right side now works

On Monday, I was having a Bora European trunk installed but for some reason the license lights weren't lighting up even though they were using the Jetta harness so they did something to make them work which caused my dash to light up like a christmas tree and throw a bunch of DTC codes when scanned with VAG-COM.

So they told me to have this auto electrical shop run a diagnosis. A few hours later it turns out fuse 43 (Engine control elements (10A) was missing so they put in another one. That fixed everything, including the headlights. Very strange.

JettaVR6

TDI
None...yet
On another note, do you have any suggestions to stop the hyperflashing due to the LED turn signal bulbs not getting the 12 volts? I was thinking of using load resistors but I'm hesitant to mess with anything now that everything is working, and this might void the warranty too. I'm not sure if the mk4s use a relay flasher.

TDI
Jeff, first sorry I missed your phone call last night but I have some good news!

The right side now works

On Monday, I was having a Bora European trunk installed but for some reason the license lights weren't lighting up even though they were using the Jetta harness so they did something to make them work which caused my dash to light up like a christmas tree and throw a bunch of DTC codes when scanned with VAG-COM.

So they told me to have this auto electrical shop run a diagnosis. A few hours later it turns out fuse 43 (Engine control elements (10A) was missing so they put in another one. That fixed everything, including the headlights. Very strange.

I'm glad you found what what plaguing you. Not a clue how that particular electrical system plays into anything, but perhaps it was messing with ground connections or something. As far as your turn signal bulbs a load resistor will work just fine. Need not worry about warranty..if I were to do it I would also put in load resistors. If you want to though you could wire in the resistors on the harness instead of in the headlight using some of those quick splice clamps.

Last edited:

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
On another note, do you have any suggestions to stop the hyperflashing due to the LED turn signal bulbs not getting the 12 volts? I was thinking of using load resistors but I'm hesitant to mess with anything now that everything is working, and this might void the warranty too. I'm not sure if the mk4s use a relay flasher.
You could put resistors in or since its an MKIV, you can try this. It was done on my wife's wagon, no more fast blink.

TheHolyCobra

TDI
'01 Jetta
Searched through the thread and didn't see it on your site at all.

Do you currently offer MK6 Golf/SportWagen headlight retrofits? Or are there issues with the sealant like with the MK6 Jetta lights you mentioned?

TDI
The sealant on the OE housings is still an issue. I did do one set previously but it was a major pain...took 2 hours to get the lenses off.. They do have TYC assemblies for this model now, which would be workable. However, those assemblies are pricey. A set with everything included with would be about $600+shipping. Not sure where in Ohio you are so perhaps a pickup is possible. I'm game for it if you are. If so shoot me a PM and we can discuss.

Riflesmith

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI 6M, 2015 Golf TDI 6A
I just ordered a second set of Jetta 4.0 lights. I will be in touch via PM. Thanks.

martin27

TDI
02 Jetta Wagon
So I will write a better review for you all next week, but I bought a set from Jeff a while back. I had a lot of issues with them. Everyone gets a bad egg in a batch occasionally. Through the process Jeff has PERSONALLY helped me replace items, adjust them and get them back up and running. And I will say the quality once now completed is fantastic! I can see on the road again! Like any product items get upgraded, and what I see in these new 4.0 lights I wish I had a set, but I am very pleased so far with my set. Thanks Jeff! I'll post images of the install, headlights, and cutoffs next week.

Damo

TDI
Tdi
Well glad to see i was given a FULL REFUND which took me issuing a pay pal claim and pay pal getting me my money back!!!! even still after issuing the claim Jeff is trying to talk me out of it telling me pay pal does not side with buyers who installed lights on a vehicle and are than found faulty!! So either A) this has happened alot pay pal claims against him for a junk product or B) he rather me drop the claim takes his crap "Partial Refund" and also MINUS THE RESTOCKING FEE....... Just so he does not have to pay me a full refund!! Honestly I have bought sold well over 1000 things over the Internet and have never had such an issue with getting money back over a POORLY built product!! Also never felt to be bribed about a refund either, as I was told if I went threw pay pal and I lost there was no refund awarded, (was getting it one way or another)
I don't understand how people think buying a NEW BUILT PRODUCT is something you need to wrench on 2 minutes after you buy it and have him do multiple phone calls to have him talk over the phone with you to fix issues on lights you just paid money for because of his junk components,

Imo why buy lights new when you need to rebuild them over the phone with this guy
Pay pal sided with me and I'm glad the did not have the wool pulled over their eyes like this guy does to so many
Good luck!!!!!!

Last edited:

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
Well glad to see i was given a FULL REFUND which took me issuing a pay pal claim and pay pal getting me my money back!!!! even still after issuing the claim Jeff is trying to talk me out of it telling me pay pal does not side with buyers who installed lights on a vehicle and are than found faulty!! So either A) this has happened alot pay pal claims against him for a junk product or B) he rather me drop the claim takes his crap "Partial Refund" and also MINUS THE RESTOCKING FEE....... Just so he does not have to pay me a full refund!! Honestly I have bought sold well over 1000 things over the Internet and have never had such an issue with getting money back over a POORLY built product!! Also never felt to be bribed about a refund either, as I was told if I went threw pay pal and I lost there was no refund awarded, (was getting it one way or another)
I don't understand how people think buying a NEW BUILT PRODUCT is something you need to wrench on 2 minutes after you buy it and have him do multiple phone calls to have him talk over the phone with you to fix issues on lights you just paid money for because of his junk components,

Imo why buy lights new when you need to rebuild them over the phone with this guy
Pay pal sided with me and I'm glad the did not have the wool pulled over their eyes like this guy does to so many
Good luck!!!!!!
Ok, did you send back these "junk" lights to Jeff?

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur

Good luck!!!!!!
So what exactly was wrong? Not saying things don't happen but far too many happy posts here.