Real World MPG - 6 speed Manual

KS_Jetta

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6 Speed Manual
50,000 mile update. All fill-ups recorded on my Gas Cubby iPhone app using actual gallons used down to the hundredth of a gallon.
49,218 miles
359 days
1114.05 Total gallons
76 fill-ups
$3.72 avg per gallon cost
44.18 Average MPG
The last 10,000 miles has seen a minor increase in fuel economy. The last 10 tanks have averaged 46.89. Given the highway rating is 43, I live in (windy) Kansas, and spend quite a bit of time on a 75 mph speed limit interstate (running around 80), I could not be much happier. Oh - and no visits to the dealer except for the 3 free services. Factory Hancooks ready for replacement.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
Filled yesterday, 16.3 gallons/885.7 Miles, 54.3 MPG Avg speed 43 MPH.

USCGTO

TDI
Passat TDi 6M
Overly optimistic MFI

City 15-20%, HWY - 80%.

Distance 632 miles
Diesel - 13.02 gallons
MPG- 48.6
MFI - 52.5 mpg

Optimistic by 8%.

IXLR8

Veteran Member
TDI
12 Passat Platinum Gray, 02 Golf Black, 01 Jetta Black
Overly optimistic MFI

City 15-20%, HWY - 80%.

Distance 632 miles
Diesel - 13.02 gallons
MPG- 48.6
MFI - 52.5 mpg

Optimistic by 8%.
That is about the same as mine. It is possible to recalibrate the odometer, speedometer and fuel calibrations to be within 1%,
which is what I have done. But I have found different fuels will make a difference in the MFI readings as well.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
Overly optimistic MFI

City 15-20%, HWY - 80%.

Distance 632 miles
Diesel - 13.02 gallons
MPG- 48.6
MFI - 52.5 mpg

Optimistic by 8%.
I must be one of the only people with an under reporting MFI. Last tank MFI was 53.4 MPG, actual MPG was 54.3 MPG

USCGTO

TDI
Passat TDi 6M
That is about the same as mine. It is possible to recalibrate the odometer, speedometer and fuel calibrations to be within 1%,
which is what I have done. But I have found different fuels will make a difference in the MFI readings as well.

How do I get it calibrated. Although, I can mentally calculate 8% off reading.

IXLR8

Veteran Member
TDI
12 Passat Platinum Gray, 02 Golf Black, 01 Jetta Black
How do I get it calibrated. Although, I can mentally calculate 8% off reading.
You need VCDS, or equivalent, to access the controllers to change the calibrations. I don't remember at the moment what needs to be changed. You will also need a GPS to get a speed reference to calibrate to.

Bam

TDI
2013 Passat SE 6M
Just hit my first 1000+ tank!

Date 7/29/2014

Miles 1026
Gallons 18.12
Model Year 2013
Transmission 6M

MPG: 56.62 (MFD read 58.9)

A mix of Interstate and back rual roads.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI

Date 7/29/2014

Miles 1026
Gallons 18.12
Model Year 2013
Transmission 6M

Very nice!

USCGTO

TDI
Passat TDi 6M

Date 7/29/2014

Miles 1026
Gallons 18.12
Model Year 2013
Transmission 6M

I am surprised you were able to push 18 gallons in there. When does the light come one. How many gallons before the low fuel light comes on?

pparks1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
I am surprised you were able to push 18 gallons in there. When does the light come one. How many gallons before the low fuel light comes on?
Last Oct I managed to put 18.13 gallons into my tank. My low fuel light comes on with around 3 gallons of fuel remaining. My MFI will read around 85 miles to empty. When I drive my car down to 0 miles to go, I usually have about 1 gallon of fuel remaining. I was down to 5 miles to go the other day and I got 17.70 gallons into the car. The time I put 18.13 gallons in, I went about 15 miles past 0 to go.

USCGTO

TDI
Passat TDi 6M
Last Oct I managed to put 18.13 gallons into my tank. My low fuel light comes on with around 3 gallons of fuel remaining. My MFI will read around 85 miles to empty. When I drive my car down to 0 miles to go, I usually have about 1 gallon of fuel remaining. I was down to 5 miles to go the other day and I got 17.70 gallons into the car. The time I put 18.13 gallons in, I went about 15 miles past 0 to go.
That's good info right there.

Based on how the needle has moved with miles, I am assuming when it hits the red markings, it'll have 2.5-3 gallons remaining.

I have been re-fuelling way before the low fuel light coming on.

pparks1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
These cars are a real Catch-22. Normally I don't like running a fuel tank down to nothing, but on the other hand everybody wants to get a super high mileage tank and the only way to do that is to run the car down to nothing.

higgledy

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf TDI (buyback)
I am thinking about a buying a '15 Passat TDI 6M. I've read many post showing its highway mileage is excellent, but what about 100% city driving?
Once broken in, what mileage could I expect in 100% city (stop and go) traffic?

Last edited:

pparks1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
I am thinking about a buying a '15 Passat TDI 6M. I've read many post showing its highway mileage is excellent, but what about 100% city driving?
Depends upon your definition of city. For example, if you live in downtown Chicago and you go corner to corner and sit in traffic jams...the TDI won't be a great fit.

I'm in the metro detroit area. I consider this city, but it's generally 30-40MPH roads with major intersections every mile. I get tanks of around 40-42MPG driving like this about 75% of my miles. I drive the car easy, I don't have a leadfoot, I coast as much as I can to traffic lights....but this is how I drive every car and have always driven. I didn't change my driving style at all with the TDI, the TDI just fit my driving style perfectly.

And I have the DSG, not the manual trans...so you should be able to eek out a bit more controlling the shifting yourself.

higgledy

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf TDI (buyback)
I live in the DC area. 60% of my driving is suburban 45mph two Lane roads with occasional traffic jam stop and go bull$hit and 40% interstate highway.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
That's good info right there.

Based on how the needle has moved with miles, I am assuming when it hits the red markings, it'll have 2.5-3 gallons remaining.

I have been re-fuelling way before the low fuel light coming on.
Look through some of the high MPG owners Fuelly accounts and you will find that 18.6 gallons is about the max that anyone has put in. Of course, this means that there is a little more in the tank because they havent run out of fuel. :)

When my Low fuel light comes on, I generally have at least 2.5 gallons left. Since purchasing the car I average 760 miles per tank with a best tank of 1000 miles.

Bam

TDI
2013 Passat SE 6M
On my 7/29/14 fill, it said I had 5 miles to go. I always fill till the fuel is sitting at the top of the fill tube. There must be about a gallon left when you hit zero. I have put 18.7 gal in before. I usually only get about 17.5 gallons, though I pushed this tank to hit 1000 miles.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I live in the DC area. 60% of my driving is suburban 45mph two Lane roads with occasional traffic jam stop and go bull$hit and 40% interstate highway.
I would expect high 30s to mid 40s. Less in cold weather than in warm weather. The more open roads you do, the better your economy will be.

Lincoln

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6 Speed MT
I LOVE my 6M TDI, but wouldn't get one for 100% stop and go. Get a Prius if your top concern is mileage. Get a gasser golf or similar if you want something fun to drive. The Passat TDI is a true cruiser, built for comfortable highway driving. It handles very well on city streets too and I have no complaints there, but the 6MT isn't a whole lot of fun in stop and go. Partly because it's hard to go slow enough to avoid working the clutch constantly. Partly because the mileage plummets. Based on what you describe, and automatic gasser or hybrid is a better choice. But to each his own.

czeetah

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat 6MT / Opera Red
100% city?

I would get a Accord Hybrid or wait until Prius redesign (2016?) and get one of those.

If 100% city means slow and you don't drive a lot possibly something small. A mini or fiat 500?

MPG isn't a concern (so much) if you drive 200 miles a month.

But the question might be what do you mean by city. There's a big difference between "I drive in downtown manhattan every day" city and "I live in a town where city driving means I go three minutes at 35MPH, stop, then 5 minutes at 45 with maybe a stop light if I'm catching them wrong" city.

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
100% city?
I would get a Accord Hybrid or wait until Prius redesign (2016?) and get one of those.

If 100% city means slow and you don't drive a lot possibly something small. A mini or fiat 500?

now that is funny......

But the question might be what do you mean by city. There's a big difference between "I drive in downtown manhattan every day" city and "I live in a town where city driving means I go three minutes at 35MPH, stop, then 5 minutes at 45 with maybe a stop light if I'm catching them wrong" city.
Your statement makes me ask, have you ever driven or owned a diesel auto???

I don't care how many miles you drive a month a high mpg car will show in the bottom line at the end of the month or year depending on how many and how fast you clock miles....

Your statement says one thing to me, You have no clue what your current offering is really costing me per mile to drive. YOur statement is a common statement of someone who really have no clue what it costs them to drive per mile.

Come back after you have a fuel efficient offering with a few miles under your belt. I will tell you what the people I know who had your point of view had to say after some time behind the wheel of a fuel sipping VW diesel after years behind the wheel of high 10s to high 20s gasoline auto offerings.

The fact is that All without exception said

"they had no clue what they were really spending on gasoline in what they were driving before compared to the time they have spent behind the wheel of their fuel sipping VW diesel"

A couple of my friends said they never clocked so many miles without worry of what it was going to cost them in their entire life.....

czeetah

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat 6MT / Opera Red
That statement is referring to living in a big city, driving 200 miles a month.

My guess is you've never lived a while somewhere like San Francisco. There's more to life and dealing with the day to day then whether you spent $16 on diesel that month or $30 on gas.

I'd happily spend the extra $14 a month for a smaller car that will parallel park with a couple less feet. Give me a Fiat 500 or heck anything 1-2' shorter than a Passat. Yes just a foot can make a big difference.

200 miles a month is 12,000 miles in five years. If that's all I drove and I lived in a city I'll take the small easy to park car happily. Well worth an extra 10-15 for fuel.

USCGTO

TDI
Passat TDi 6M
Date 8/5/2014

Miles 745
Gallons 14.17
Price 3.53
Model Year 2014
Model Passat
Tranny: 6M
Fuel Type: ULSD

MPG: 52.6 (MFI: 56.3) off by 7%

pparks1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
I do agree with this statement. And chances are, if you are only driving 200 miles per month, you are mostly going to be city, stop and go. Therefore, the TDI will probably not hit anywhere near it's potential as far as high mileage.....

My inlaws just leased a Chevy Cruze and they considered the diesel. But like I told them, with a 12,000 mile a year lease...which they likely won't come near, they won't be able to recoup the added cost of the diesel option and the price of the fuel over the lifetime of the lease.

At 200 miles per month, let's do the math. In Michigan, where I live, diesel is currently $3.99 a gallon, while regular unleaded is $3.25 a gallon. And if you have a TDI that gets 45MPG (you will use (200/60 = )4.4 gallons of diesel per month x 3.99 per gallon = $17.73 per month. Or, if you drive a gasser that gets only 25MPG, you will use (200/25 =) 8 gallons of gas x 3.25 per gallon = $26 per month. So, a difference of $8.27 per month.

If you buy the car straight up, at 0% interest for 5 years, for each $1,000 financed your payment is (1000/60 =) $16.67. So, if the TDI option raises the price only $1,000 (and it's usually over $2k more), that means your payment is going to be $16.67 more for the month. So that's 2x more for the payment than you are saving in the fuel costs.

The breakeven point would be an additional fuel savings of $16.67 - 8.27 per month = $8.40 per month. For every 50 miles driven, the cost savings is 50/45 = 1.1g x 3.99 = $4.43 , 50/25 = 2g x 3.25 = $6.50, so 6.50-4.43 = $2.07. Therefore, 8.40 / 2.07 = 4.05x. So, 4.05 x 50 miles =
202.50 miles.

Therefore, a person must drive at least 402.50 miles per month (where I live) to break even on fuel savings between a TDI at 45MPG and a gasser at 25MPG if there was only $1,000 difference between the cars.

Obviously, this all is relative. It depends on the miles you drive, how many are highway, what the price difference is on your fuel, how much you will spend on additional maintenance, how much you might spend in fuel additives, etc.

MikeS_18

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, '13 Passat SE, '64 Ford Econoline
Excellent analysis. Do the people you live with fail to understand and appreciate the need, logic and beauty of this way of thinking? The ones I live with do. :D

Paulie

TDI
2014 Passat SE TDI 6 speed
Yes 887.5! Another nice long road trip in the Passat.

Date 8/1/14

Driver: Paulie
Miles: 887.5
Gallons: 17.857
Model Year: 2014
Model: Passat
Tranny: 6M
Fuel Type: ULSD

MPG: 49.7
Odometer: 10914
Cost: $3.99 per gallon

Jbdesigns

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6MT, 2012 Jetta TDI 6mt (sold)
I do not like that my MFI values are consistently higher than actual by 7%.

I am getting 47.5 ish mpg regularly in summer. I drive over 26,000 miles a year. An at 50k now.

As for city driving, if my car is already warmed up, when I go into town I can still pull 45 mpg. If car is cold, then mpg is down a touch but never below 40. Which I think is real good.

If I only drove city, I would consider hybrid instead of diesel. Or an efficient gasser like a golf. But that is too small a car for me. Hybrid accord would be good for city only. But 40-42mpg in my passat for city driving is nothing to sneeze at. And all open road I get 47-49mpg

Oh, at 0miles left I usually put in 17.75gallons.