Going to try indirect TPMS on an '09

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
I haven't done much driving until today, but here was my experience with the indirect TPMS settings:

• TPMS light is samong the seferal lights that briefly flash upon turning key to 'on' position. Disappears after about a second.
  • Drove about 50 miles with equally inflated, sensorless tires. No TPMS light or other warnings on dash
  • Deflated one of the rear tires slightly, by about 8% (38 -> 35). Drove about 5 miles. No warning light.
  • Deflated same tire by about 20% of original value (38 -> 31). TPMS warning light appeared after about a mile.
  • Inflated rear tire to original value. Drove about 2 miles home. TPMS warning light was still steady on.
  • Performed TPMS reset in ABS module (basic settings to 042). Light want away
  • Drove about 120 miles. Light remained off.
So, I think this is an indication that an '09 TDI has the proper ABS controller logic to perform indirect tire pressure monitoring, just like the 2011 models. I guess I will never have the experience of buying replacement sensors when my old ones die :D

Here is what I did:

• Disable hardware TPMS in the central convenience controller. Using the long coding helper, check bit 5 of byte 17 Tire Pressure Monitoring (TPMS - PR-7K3/7K4/7K5 not installed/inactive
  • Disable TPMS in the CAN bus controller. Using the long coding helper, un-check bit 0 of byte 3 Tire Pressure Monitoring.
  • Enable indirect TPMS in the ABS controller. Using the long coding helper, check bit 2 of byte 16 Tire Pressure Monitoring (TPMS/PR-7K6) installed
  • Reset the indirect TPMS system by applying basic settings to block 042 of the ABS controller.
When I deflated the rear tire, a code was thrown by the ABS unit when low pressure was detected:

Code:
Address 03: ABS Brakes (-----)       Labels: 1K0-907-379-60EC1F.clb
   Part No SW: 1K0 907 379 AD    HW: 1K0 907 379 AD
   Component: ESP MK60EC1   H35 0106  
   Revision: 00H35001    
   Coding: 113B600D49240000881206EB922200423400
   Shop #: WSC 00066 000 00000
   VCID: 74EC37F66EC7

1 Fault Found:
02214 - Tire Pressure Warning 
            002 - Lower Limit Exceeded - Intermittent
             Freeze Frame:
                    Fault Status: 00100010
                    Fault Priority: 2
                    Fault Frequency: 1
                    Reset counter: 230
                    Mileage: 63668 km
                    Time Indication: 0

Freeze Frame:
                    Count: 0
                    Count: 32768
                    Count: 4608
                    Count: 397
                    Count: 51255

* If you forget to disable TPMS in the Central Convenience module, this is what happens:

There is one catch (later found out to be due to TPMS still activated in Central Convenience) - when scanning for fault codes, it seems that the CAN bus and the hardware-based TPMS unit throw faults:

From the CAN bus:
Code:
01044 - Control Module Incorrectly Coded 
            000 -  -
From the TPMS:
Code:
01521 - Sensor for Tire Pressure 
            004 - No Signal/Communication
Neither of these seem to cause an idiot light, or interfere with the functioning of the indirect TPMS reporting.
my tpms is getting old and flaky gave this a shot, but stumbled along the way

I got as far with the VCDS as the long coding helper, found bit 5 of byte 17 in central convenience controller, but it will not let me proceed with "do it" seems to want some kind of importer id or authorization code. what am I missing?

MÄDDNESSS

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sport Wagon
I did this and followed all of the steps, minus installing the TPMS reset switch, and I got the idiot light to go away but I can't get the mesage to go away.

Is the switch needed to get rid of this?

wanabe

TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen, Laser Blue, manual transmission
Mine works fine without the switch just using VCDS. But I did not have a light or message when I made the change. When I did get an error after the change, I don't remember getting a message, just the light.

MÄDDNESSS

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sport Wagon
I figure it out. I kept read over the "let it learn" part. Takes like 15 mins or something, the car has to be on.

Thanks for the reply though.

umrpunter

Veteran Member
TDI
09' Black Jetta TDI manny tranny, tan pleather, wd6050 hd
has anyone gotten a succinct diy put together for this? This is an absolutely great option for those of us with MKV's that are aging. I just installed some MKVI portos on my jetta and was just wondering what to do about the TPMS. i would like to have one, but I really don't want to mess with switching the sensors over to my new wheels. This would be perfect.