Did you guys rent, buy, or did not use VW timing belt tools?

jyhuh28

TDI
Red 2001 Jetta TDI 5sp, Blue 2001 Jetta TDI 5sp, 01 Green Jetta TDI 4sp, 02 Silver TDI auto
Just curious how many people bought or rented the specialty vw tools for timing belts and very interested in those that have not used those tools at all. I am more than likely going to rent. Also, which timing belt kit out there is the best for the price for the ALH motor? Thanks

tactdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta
I rented the tools for my first timing belt replacement on my 05 Jetta. I did not think I would keep it the 80K until the next timing belt. Well things change, and I put 80K on it in just over 3 years. For the recent timing belt that I replaced, I purchased the tools, so if I keep it for another 80K, I will have them, and if I
purchased them last time, I would be ahead.

jyhuh28

TDI
Red 2001 Jetta TDI 5sp, Blue 2001 Jetta TDI 5sp, 01 Green Jetta TDI 4sp, 02 Silver TDI auto
o nice. mine is an automatic and they say it should be changed every 40k??? Can I use the 100k kits on the auto can I still change it at 100k intervals?

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
o nice. mine is an automatic and they say it should be changed every 40k??? Can I use the 100k kits on the auto can I still change it at 100k intervals?
Who is "they" ??? If you're talking about your 2002, your manual should indicate an 80,000 mile timing belt change interval... yes, you can use the 100,000 mile rated kit... the only difference is the bearing in the large idler... Just make sure you use quality components from one of the well-regarded vendors who frequent this place... (in no particular order: boraparts, idparts, dieselgeek, metalmanparts, and one or two others that escape my recollection...)

Yuri

jyhuh28

TDI
Who is "they" ??? If you're talking about your 2002, your manual should indicate an 80,000 mile timing belt change interval... yes, you can use the 100,000 mile rated kit... the only difference is the bearing in the large idler... Just make sure you use quality components from one of the well-regarded vendors who frequent this place... (in no particular order: boraparts, idparts, dieselgeek, metalmanparts, and one or two others that escape my recollection...)

Yuri
I thought i read somewhere that it was 40k, somewhere on the forum but anyway, that answers my question perfectly thanks

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Buy or rent the tools .. don't attempt to change your TB without the proper tools.

Besides the speciality tools, there are a few other tools you will need... more than a few wrenches. Example: 16mm Socket and/or boxed end wrench to loosen the tension on the Serpentine belt for removal, 19mm 12point socket to rotate the engine two turns after the TB is installed to make sure all is okay. Allen tools for removal of the valve cover... a couple of those screws are sort of difficult to access... Also, while into it, you should remove the EGR assembly and give it a cleaning (requires the allen tools). And, inspect the Intake Manifold... it may be semi-plugged with soot crud.

Also, you will eventually need the services of Vag Com Diagnostic System (VCDS) to check and set the injection timing.

Lastly, go to the HOW TOs at the top of this forum and do some reading. There are a number of excellent write-ups by gurus about doing various maintenance, including changing the timing belt.

jyhuh28

TDI
Buy or rent the tools .. don't attempt to change your TB without the proper tools.

Besides the speciality tools, there are a few other tools you will need... more than a few wrenches. Example: 16mm Socket and/or boxed end wrench to loosen the tension on the Serpentine belt for removal, 19mm 12point socket to rotate the engine two turns after the TB is installed to make sure all is okay. Allen tools for removal of the valve cover... a couple of those screws are sort of difficult to access... Also, while into it, you should remove the EGR assembly and give it a cleaning (requires the allen tools). And, inspect the Intake Manifold... it may be semi-plugged with soot crud.

Also, you will eventually need the services of Vag Com Diagnostic System (VCDS) to check and set the injection timing.

Lastly, go to the HOW TOs at the top of this forum and do some reading. There are a number of excellent write-ups by gurus about doing various maintenance, including changing the timing belt.
Thank you for the advice. this forum has been awesome. Looking forward to doing some contributing myself in the future. For now, it looks like I got a lot of research to do

VChristian

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta, (2) 02 Jetta, 03 Jetta, 15 Jetta
I have VDCS. I also have a plate I made for setting the camshaft. I made a spanner wrench for holding the camshaft pulley when applying torque to the retaining bolt. Made a tool to hold the pump, but a drill bit works fine. Did not use a crankshaft holder. My gear puller did not fit the camshaft pulley, so I used a hammer on the retaining bolt. You could also burn a hole in the plastic backing, and use a punch to free the pulley (might be a better approach than I took). I just did the job a couple of times, so it's fresh, if you have questions. The homemade spanner is out of a 12" HF crescent style adjustable wrench, and the details were posted. The cam holding plate was roughed out with a grinder, and then honed to fit with a diamond hone. The plate took the longest to make, and they are on ebay for reasonable prices.

All the other tools I already have. Plus I had previously done quite a few 1.5 and 1.6 NA VW diesel timing belts. All the TDI belts I have done are on the ALH engine.

I know of no local outfit to rent from, hence the buy/make decisions.

Finally, I have always managed to get timing inside the envelope before using VDCS, so I suppose I could have driven somewhere to have someone with VDCS help me trim in the timing. So if you have a friend with VDCS that might work.

Last edited:

jyhuh28

TDI
I have VDCS. I also have a plate I made for setting the camshaft. I made a spanner wrench for holding the camshaft pulley when applying torque to the retaining bolt. Made a tool to hold the pump, but a drill bit works fine. Did not use a crankshaft holder. My gear puller did not fit the camshaft pulley, so I used a hammer on the retaining bolt. You could also burn a hole in the plastic backing, and use a punch to free the pulley (might be a better approach than I took). I just did the job a couple of times, so it's fresh, if you have questions. The homemade spanner is out of a 12" HF crescent style adjustable wrench, and the details were posted. The cam holding plate was roughed out with a grinder, and then honed to fit with a diamond hone. The plate took the longest to make, and they are on ebay for reasonable prices.

All the other tools I already have. Plus I had previously done quite a few 1.5 and 1.6 NA VW diesel timing belts. All the TDI belts I have done are on the ALH engine.

I know of no local outfit to rent from, hence the buy/make decisions.

Finally, I have always managed to get timing inside the envelope before using VDCS, so I suppose I could have driven somewhere to have someone with VDCS help me trim in the timing. So if you have a friend with VDCS that might work.
that is pretty awesome. i dont have a lot of metal shop skills so not an option for me, but you saved a lot of money making do without the tools

VChristian

Veteran Member
TDI
that is pretty awesome. i dont have a lot of metal shop skills so not an option for me, but you saved a lot of money making do without the tools
I don't have a metal shop either. A drill, a grinder and a file.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
In the early days, automatic transmission equipped ALH engined cars had a 40k mile interval on recommended timing belt change. This was mainly due to the perceived notion that the increased stress on the belt from the 11mm injection pump warranted a shorter interval on the timing belt.

With the 80-100k belts, that is no longer the case, but some dealerships will still recommend the shorter interval on those early cars. They charge a lot for doing timing belts, [sarcasm] and I am sure that does not figure in to their recommendation at all[/sarcasm].

The first couple of times I did my timing belt on my 4-dr I did mark & pray, mostly because I did not want to pay the exhorbitant prices on special tools, and metalman didn't make the nice set he now has available. After that, I bought the tools and am happy with it. It makes the job quicker, more accurate in lining up the cam and crank, and is less stress on the belt when trying to fit it onto the cogs & pulleys. Win-win. Do the job once after buying the tools, and they pay for themselves. Everything after that is gravy.

Cheers,

PH

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
What PH said.
I had a shop do my first one....$900.00 later I looked into doing it myself.
I bought the metalnerd TB tool kit and VCDS as I had an old laptop I could use.
The next time my TB was due it paid for itself.
I now have 4 mk IVs with 3 of them are TDIs. Between my cars and a few others I've done 8 TBs ,one head,two cams and lifters and odds and ends for others.
I think it was the best investment for me...... My .02.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
I purchased my TB tools and kit from idparts. I do have the VCDS cable and software also. I was quoted $1500 from Jennings in Glen View, Il, and that is when I decided to tackle this job on my own. Oh, and I followed MOGolf's how-to for the BEW, from this site.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
No disrespect to VChristian at all, but buy the tools ... you won't regret it!

Down thru the years I've made a number of tools, modified tools, etc., to fit my needs, either at the moment or they were not available locally and the Internet didn't exist back in the day.

If you can do it, then do it!

Here are a couple of examples I've done:

Radio removal tools (from hacksaw blades)

Angle iron fabricated to hold the crankshaft on TB end of engine.

Below are a couple of pics of a modified MK1/2 fuel filter base with the top set-up for the MK4 ALH TDI fuel lines ..... works great and spin-on filter is much cheaper!...same element inside. The "in" hole there is plugged.

Yeah, that's JB Weld Quick .... it tolerates diesel fuel extremely well... that unit has been in use for just over 10 years and works just fine.

And, I've made or modified a number of other tools to meet my needs.

I do have the MetalMan TB changing tools and many other speciality tools from that vendor! And, of course, VCDS is a must! Get it!

VChristian

Veteran Member
TDI
AndyBees, no problem. I buy tools and I make them. When I can't / don't want to afford them I try making them. Some people have made and sell nice tools for TDIs and other cars, and if that is the best path for one to take, go for it. If the cost is a big concern, spend a little time and make a tool which will work for you.

Making tools got easier with HFT, because there have cheap tools and parts which can be hacked into something usable.

If you're going to make a living (or side living) doing TBs and the like, then consider the already available tools, as they have likely been through a generation or two of enhancements.

One thing I thought of recently was cookbooking solutions for common TDI maintenance issues. For example, when setting the timing with VDCS, I find a 13mm deep, a universal and a short (1.5" extension) coupled to a 3/8" fine tooth ratchet gets to all three bolts consistently, and with good control.

For the valve cover, I use a 5mm 1" bit in a spring mount for 1/4" drive, a 1/4" universal, and a 6" extension to a ratchet works for the fasteners in the back near the EGR on my ALH's. Elsewhere a 5mm bit on a 3/8" drive with a 6" extension covers it.

For the 16mm motor mount, I need a flex head ratchet, a 1.5" long 3/8" extension and a standard depth 16mm socket. Except for the rear "hidden" bolt, I use a deep 16mm socket.

Tips like this in the howto have always been helpful to me, and while they might vary with different toolsets and models of cars, they form a starting point for someone trying to get through a job.

One thing for sure, the best tool on the TB is the writeup hosted on this site, with all the pictures. It makes doing the job easy, and has been a big help to me and many others. Even if you are not planning on doing the job, it gives one a good idea as to what is involved, and let's them see parts of their engine they might not otherwise see.

keaton85

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf MK4
The "special" tools are like $50-$60 bucks. Not that bad..

I never bought a kit, just used a random stock piece of metal for the cam and a drill bit for the pump sprocket. Then $99 for VCDS and $15 for Vag-Com cable.

Pretty easy job, but like others have said, fallow the guides!

Strykeviper

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS 5 speed swap, 2002 Jetta Wagon, 2015 Passat SEL, 2013 Jetta Sportwagen
I own the Metalnerd ALH tool set. I also own 2 ALH Jettas and it makes sense to own the tools. I also rent them out to members in need.